Old 05-26-2015, 06:59 AM   #1
talhachachar

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Mobilink
Exclamation Copying saved chat history

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone!
I'm new to this forum, registered here out of need. I apologise for any inconvenience how so ever caused by me beforehand.

I joined bbm when I bought myself BB bold 3 few years back and since then using the same BBID. I switched to iPhone 5s a while back and have been continuously using bbm since then. I enabled the option of saving chat history and also on my icloud have been backing up my bbm, which I suppose backs up your contacts and chats incase you lose your iphone.

My problem is, I have a very long chat with my partner that has been going on everyday since months and I don't know how to preserve it. I'm using BBM version 280.8.1.76 on my iPhone 5s 7.1.2. As I enabled the option of saving chat history since day one, I'm very sure I've the complete chat in my phone and neither did bbm ever crash for me. If I scroll up, the conversation keeps going but my phone starts hanging due to the high data usage and all I guess.
I want to save this complete chat history and convert it to maybe a log or .txt form and it is VERY important for me, I hope I'm clear. I tried doing it through scrolling up to the top and then choosing the option of copy chat but it takes a lot of time, sometimes I accidentally close the convo and have to start again, at times the convo will go to a certain date and just stop loading anymore. I was worried maybe the chat was just that much and the rest was deleted but when I tried again i crossed that day and it hanged again at a date weeks before that , so I'm sure I do have the complete history saved. My partner uses android, I asked her to email me the chat as this option isn't available on iOS (as feedback I would very much recommend some sort of an update to make it available for iOS users too) but she said she was facing some sort of an error. I also tried accessing the BBM.db file as my phone is jail broken and I use iFile which let's me access encrypted files and the online help I gathered tells me chat logs are saved in that file. I tried running it through a SQL editor too but I don't know I failed with that as I'm not much into working with database files. However, if this is the way I need to go about for this, I'll be grateful anybody would just guide me through. I've researched everywhere, read all the FAQs but I still haven't found a solution and it will be an unbearable loss if it's not possible, which I pray it very much is.

Back in blackberry days I would connect to my laptop and save chat through the blackberry desktop software, it was very easy and user-friendly. I really don't how to copy the entire 5 month chat history of a specific contact in BBM on iOS, please help me.
I tried mailing the bbm support department but there was some pin validation error.
P.S: I've been a committed BBM user, that's the reason to why the chat is so long. Otherwise, chats on whatsapp are very easy to save as there's the option of mailing which, I'm afraid, isn't available on bbm for iOS.
Thanks a lot, I hope my issue is well understood.

Regards,
Talha

Last edited by talhachachar; 05-26-2015 at 07:05 AM..
Old 05-30-2015, 01:18 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Copying saved chat history

It does look like there is a way to see history files. This link refers to sending files which may be one with the info you need.

IOS is limited on a lot of things converted to use from other OS's
A lot of the limits are imposed by Apple for reasons that seem hard to understand but Apple may be trying to control end to end their devices

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
Closed Thread