Old 06-13-2007, 08:21 AM   #1
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8330
PIN: 35AABF91
Carrier: Verizon
Default Cingular/ATT Wireless - No more 1 year contract

Please Login to Remove!

So I was told at a Cingular/ATT Wireless store that they no longer offer a 1 year contract on anything. The minimum is 2 years. Is this right.... or is this just another Cingular/ATT Wireless pathetic attempt at lying to the customer.

I am anxious to know
Old 06-13-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
jasonfont426
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130g
PIN: 204C6D97
Carrier: US: AT&T | Panama: Cable & Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
So I was told at a Cingular/ATT Wireless store that they no longer offer a 1 year contract on anything. The minimum is 2 years. Is this right.... or is this just another Cingular/ATT Wireless pathetic attempt at lying to the customer.

I am anxious to know
The information you were given is correct. AT&T no longer offers one-year contracts for wireless service.

Jason
Old 06-13-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfont426 View Post
The information you were given is correct. AT&T no longer offers one-year contracts for wireless service.

Jason
Hah...that's wonderful...just wonderful. Well they automatically lost my business. Why would someone come in with their own equipment, just to be locked into a 2 year contract? you might as well take one of the contract discount deals on devices they sell in the store. oh wait...now it's alllll making sense. they are doing this on purpose so people won't buy crap off ebay or borrow their friends device. they want you to buy theirs, get locked in, get onto their interface, etc. just a load of crap
Old 06-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

They don't have a standard interface. You're thinking of Verizon.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi View Post
They don't have a standard interface. You're thinking of Verizon.

hah, yea, my bad
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
Outrigger
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have a FAN account and get routed to their business dept when I call. I bought a treo previously NOT from AT&T and signed on to the 450min per month for $40 and I opted for no contract since its my own equipment. So even though I've only been with them for a couple of months, I'm on a month to month basis and can take my number to another carrier at anytime without an ETF.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Outrigger

Not sure if it makes a difference but I have a FAN account and get routed to their business dept when I call. I bought a treo previously NOT from AT&T and signed on to the 450min per month for $40 and I opted for no contract since its my own equipment. So even though I've only been with them for a couple of months, I'm on a month to month basis and can take my number to another carrier at anytime without an ETF.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
cassinator

Model: 8320
PIN: 244021B4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGBerry View Post
Hah...that's wonderful...just wonderful. Well they automatically lost my business. Why would someone come in with their own equipment, just to be locked into a 2 year contract? you might as well take one of the contract discount deals on devices they sell in the store. oh wait...now it's alllll making sense. they are doing this on purpose so people won't buy crap off ebay or borrow their friends device. they want you to buy theirs, get locked in, get onto their interface, etc. just a load of crap

I know with verizon, we had a phone that wasn't being used that we wanted to give to my grandpa. It was obviously not new. Well when they added it to the family share plan, it set it so that phone was locked in for 2 years. I personally think that is garbage. We might as well have gotten one of the free phones at least and gotten something nicer.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #9
JGBerry
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassinator View Post
I know with verizon, we had a phone that wasn't being used that we wanted to give to my grandpa. It was obviously not new. Well when they added it to the family share plan, it set it so that phone was locked in for 2 years. I personally think that is garbage. We might as well have gotten one of the free phones at least and gotten something nicer.

Verizon AND T-Mobile offer 1 or 2 year contracts.
Cingular/ATT DOES NOT
Old 06-13-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Nextel is also doing 2 years.

Now that you can port your number this is their way of making you stay.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:19 PM   #11
cassinator

Model: 8320
PIN: 244021B4
Carrier: T-Mobile

I totally understand if you are buying the phones from them cause I am assuming that they don't make that much money of those when you sign up for a new contract. However, when you bring an old phone into it, they shouldn't be able to to force you into a 2 year contract with it. Just seems like poor customer service. But since all of them are doing it I guess it doesn't really make a difference.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
beninark
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100c
Carrier: Cingular

well I got a 1 year contract with cingular last december and was planning on re-upping to get another year and another phone for the discount but at this rate I'll buy the phone with out the contract through some other source, this is crazy. There is no way I am signing my life away to a carrier.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #13
xplorer

Model: Curve
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMO
Default AT&T changes ETF policy

Here is what I found, does anyone have any clue of this information found at AT&T changes ETF policy - FierceWireless - Wireless Industry, Wireless Technology News, Wireless Security News

AT&T seems to be following Verizon Wireless' lead: Beginning in November, the carrier said it will reduce the early termination fees for customers who exit their phone contracts before those contracts run out. Just like Verizon Wireless subscribers, AT&T subs will pay an ETF that is based upon the amount of time that has passed since the contract went into effect. Also, existing subscribers who change their plans will not have to extend their agreement or sign up for a new one.

AT&T is also offering a new rate for mobile phone calls to Mexico landlines: 5 cents a minute for customers who sign up for AT&T World Connect Mexico between October 15 and January 15, 2008. Wireless to wireless calls to Mexico will cost 21 cents per minute.

For more on AT&T's new calling plan:
- read this release about calling Mexico
Old 12-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
Carynel

Model: 9000
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark View Post
well I got a 1 year contract with cingular last december and was planning on re-upping to get another year and another phone for the discount but at this rate I'll buy the phone with out the contract through some other source, this is crazy. There is no way I am signing my life away to a carrier.
I WORK for AT&T... and for one, let me asure you that NO ONE should force you into a 2 year contract if you bring your own equipment. But I understand why some Reps would lie and tell you you have to... they won't get paid on your new activation when you don't sign a contract. And as for replacing equipment, just take your Simcard and put it in ANY AT&T or Unlicked GSM Phone, you don't need to involve AT&T in that unlike Verizon who renews your contract even when your phone broke and you want to activate another phone you own.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #15
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

You can still be activated on a 1 year contract through OPUS in AT&T stores if you bring your own equipment. Also the 1 year pricing does still exist, just it isnt offered.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #16
rsnadel

Content deleted upon realizing the original post is 18 months old.

Last edited by rsnadel; 12-07-2008 at 12:24 PM..
Old 12-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #17
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassinator View Post
I totally understand if you are buying the phones from them cause I am assuming that they don't make that much money of those when you sign up for a new contract. However, when you bring an old phone into it, they shouldn't be able to to force you into a 2 year contract with it. Just seems like poor customer service. But since all of them are doing it I guess it doesn't really make a difference.
No one is forcing you to do anything. Vote with your head and your wallet. If you don't like the deal, go elsewhere. If you really want NO contract, there's always Cricket, Virgin, or other MVNO providers and any of the other numbers of prepaids...
Old 12-06-2008, 09:19 PM   #18
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carynel View Post
I WORK for AT&T... and for one, let me asure you that NO ONE should force you into a 2 year contract if you bring your own equipment. But I understand why some Reps would lie and tell you you have to... they won't get paid on your new activation when you don't sign a contract. And as for replacing equipment, just take your Simcard and put it in ANY AT&T or Unlicked GSM Phone, you don't need to involve AT&T in that unlike Verizon who renews your contract even when your phone broke and you want to activate another phone you own.
... but this will only work if your phone is unlicked. Once it's been licked, you can no longer take advantage of this offer...
Old 12-07-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
codes

AT&T offers 24, 12, and 0 month commitments on new activations. For upgrades, it's only 24 months now, whether you go into a corporate store or another channel like national retail. And aside from the iPhone, you can always buy your equipment at full price and not sign a contract at all.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #20
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
... but this will only work if your phone is unlicked. Once it's been licked, you can no longer take advantage of this offer...

So whats the issue with licking your Blackberry? I saw a post on Track Ball cleaning and someone just licks the trackball to save on Alcohol

Besides it tastes like Chicken
Closed Thread