Old 07-31-2007, 04:56 PM   #41
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckworth View Post
Well my DNS was set up the way the google docs specify (same as yours posted above), and it works for my email, so I'm not really sure what could be missing. There aren't many possibilities, either your mx record for your domain resolves to google or it doesn't so my guess is that there are just some bugs that still need to be worked out.

Is there anyone using Google Apps for their domain that got true push email to work without a call to RIM?
I agree. I've tried different MX records and nothing does autodetect from the BIS. FYI - your can use the regular gmail MX records as they will also accept your hosted doamin. EX.

IN MX 5 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
IN MX 10 alt1.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.
IN MX 10 alt2.gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com.

I think the BIS just recognizes the @gmaill.com domain and does nothing to query the MX records.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:00 PM   #42
w9ndb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: Upon Request

Quote:
Well my DNS was set up the way the google docs specify (same as yours posted above), and it works for my email, so I'm not really sure what could be missing. There aren't many possibilities, either your mx record for your domain resolves to google or it doesn't so my guess is that there are just some bugs that still need to be worked out.

Is there anyone using Google Apps for their domain that got true push email to work without a call to RIM?
Mine worked fine with no call to RIM. I've deleted and recreated it several times and it has worked well every time (knock on wood).

nb
Old 07-31-2007, 05:09 PM   #43
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9ndb View Post
Mine worked fine with no call to RIM. I've deleted and recreated it several times and it has worked well every time (knock on wood).

nb
Sent you a PM.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:33 PM   #44
whsbuss

Quote:
OK, third call was a charm. The tech took another look and he said it wan't on the "notify" system. He said that there are sometimes issues with Google Apps when using your own domain where the BIS won't pick up from the mx records that it is a Google account. So this time he verified the MX records himself and manually added me the the "notify" system. Now I am getting instantaneous push email on my hosted google account. I have send messages back and forth for the past 20 minutes and they have all been instantaneous. Hopefully it will stay this way now.
Is syncing working for you? Still not getting instant email, but when deleting messages on the BB it doesn't delete them on the hosted email account on google (even with deleted selected on the BIS account).
Old 07-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #45
duckworth

Model: 8300
Carrier: Att

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Is syncing working for you? Still not getting instant email, but when deleting messages on the BB it doesn't delete them on the hosted email account on google (even with deleted selected on the BIS account).
Yes syncing is working great now. When I delete an email off my blackberry it is instantly gone from my Google inbox. It has now been several hours and I am still getting real-time push on my email as well, so it looks like everything is finally working correctly.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:38 PM   #46
whsbuss

Quote:
Yes syncing is working great now. When I delete an email off my blackberry it is instantly gone from my Google inbox. It has now been several hours and I am still getting real-time push on my email as well, so it looks like everything is finally working correctly.
That's great. I guess the only way to get it done is getting my carrier (VZW) to open a ticket and get then to add my hosted domain to their BIS for google. I sure hope they get something built into the BIS that would make this automatic.

Good luck.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #47
whsbuss

Default Update

After waiting 24 hours for the DNS to be propagated, I was able to integrate my hosted domain in the BIS from the default 1st screen - that was good. But it still does not do instant push mail like gmail - still polled. What was interesting is in the edit screen for the email account there was no Advanced Settings - just like a gmail account. So somehow its not getting on the notify server list. Hope RIM gets this fixed soon. Google hosted domains is a great (free) service.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:01 PM   #48
duckworth

Quote:
After waiting 24 hours for the DNS to be propagated, I was able to integrate my hosted domain in the BIS from the default 1st screen - that was good. But it still does not do instant push mail like gmail - still polled. What was interesting is in the edit screen for the email account there was no Advanced Settings - just like a gmail account. So somehow its not getting on the notify server list. Hope RIM gets this fixed soon. Google hosted domains is a great (free) service.
Yeah, mine always registered fine though the BIS interface as well but was always polling.

Free is good, but I sprung for the ~$4 a month for no ads and 10GB.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:11 PM   #49
whsbuss

Quote:
Yeah, mine always registered fine though the BIS interface as well but was always polling.

Free is good, but I sprung for the ~$4 a month for no ads and 10GB.
I have no problem with spending $$$ but I need the push mail. Another thing I noticed is email sent via the BB does get placed in the Sent folder on google. Guess I'll have to call VZW/RIM to get them to add my domain to the notify server.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #50
duckworth

Quote:
I have no problem with spending $$$ but I need the push mail. Another thing I noticed is email sent via the BB does get placed in the Sent folder on google. Guess I'll have to call VZW/RIM to get them to add my domain to the notify server.
Yeah, the sent items didn't work for me until I was put on the notify server. Good luck calling and getting through level 1 tech support while you have to try and explain that it really is gmail for your own domain and that it really does support push mail etc. Always a pleasurable experience.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #51
dougpace

Model: 8100

Quote:
Yeah, the sent items didn't work for me until I was put on the notify server. Good luck calling and getting through level 1 tech support while you have to try and explain that it really is gmail for your own domain and that it really does support push mail etc. Always a pleasurable experience.
Yes, it's a scary feeling when you're talking to the guys that answer the phone and you can hear them trying to think of ways to tell you that what you're asking for just can't be done. When I spoke with them, I kept repeating "This is a feature that only RIM can enable right now. RIM is working on an automated solution, but until then, they have to do something to your account directly. I know several people that have had this done for them by RIM, and RIM confirmed to them that this is something only they can do right now."

Good luck!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #52
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougpace View Post
Yes, it's a scary feeling when you're talking to the guys that answer the phone and you can hear them trying to think of ways to tell you that what you're asking for just can't be done. When I spoke with them, I kept repeating "This is a feature that only RIM can enable right now. RIM is working on an automated solution, but until then, they have to do something to your account directly. I know several people that have had this done for them by RIM, and RIM confirmed to them that this is something only they can do right now."

Good luck!
Yep. Getting tired of having to call VZW to call RIM. And sometimes RIM support is less than stellar.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #53
kd78
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by w9ndb View Post

nb
Mine allows me to add the hosted gmail without any issues but it is still polling. I don't feel like calling tmo to get to a RIM rep..I can just tell that is going to be a nightmare of a process.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:32 AM   #54
Rama767

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Wanted to provide an update on my situation. I am with Verizon and although adding my Google Apps hosted domain to the BIS went through just fine, it was pretty clear it was just polling every 15-20 mins. Called up Verizon to get to RIM and they added me to what he called a "notifier" server. Removed and then re-added the domain to BIS and it appears to be working fine now. Been doing push for about 12 hours now. Verizon was unaware of the issue, but RIM was aware of the problem and I'm assuming the above steps is the solution. Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #55
whsbuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rama767 View Post
Wanted to provide an update on my situation. I am with Verizon and although adding my Google Apps hosted domain to the BIS went through just fine, it was pretty clear it was just polling every 15-20 mins. Called up Verizon to get to RIM and they added me to what he called a "notifier" server. Removed and then re-added the domain to BIS and it appears to be working fine now. Been doing push for about 12 hours now. Verizon was unaware of the issue, but RIM was aware of the problem and I'm assuming the above steps is the solution. Hope this helps.
Thanks Rama. You would think RIM would apply a patch to the BIS to place the record in the notifier server automatically based on the MX record of the domain. Sure would make like easier.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:01 AM   #56
duckworth

Quote:
Thanks Rama. You would think RIM would apply a patch to the BIS to place the record in the notifier server automatically based on the MX record of the domain. Sure would make like easier.
I am sure they are working on an automated solution, but as a developer I can see how it may take a little time and thought. I'm sure there are scenarios that need to be worked out, like having multiple MX records at the same priority pointing to different google and non-google hosts. MX records that resolve to CNAME aliases that resolve to google, etc. Aliased domains that point to a hosted account that may already be added to BIS under the same or even a different account, etc.

Just my $.02
Old 08-07-2007, 03:28 PM   #57
whsbuss

Quote:
I am sure they are working on an automated solution, but as a developer I can see how it may take a little time and thought. I'm sure there are scenarios that need to be worked out, like having multiple MX records at the same priority pointing to different google and non-google hosts. MX records that resolve to CNAME aliases that resolve to google, etc. Aliased domains that point to a hosted account that may already be added to BIS under the same or even a different account, etc.

Just my $.02
You're quite right. DNS records can be daunting at times. One thing going for them though, is when your hosted domain is integrated you'll notice the advanced settings for those accounts will not show up in the BIS interface. So they must be able to ascertain its a google hosted domain. Let's hope for the best (and soon).
Old 08-08-2007, 01:27 PM   #58
duckworth

So I picked my wife up a Curve yesterday and was prepared to go through the same process to get her hosted google email wired up to the notify server that I had to go through. Her email is on a different domain that is also hosted by google apps. So after trying it a few times just to make sure it was polling an not getting push I called RIM support referencing the ticket from my issue. I had figured that would make the call quick and painless since all the information they needed to fix it would be on my old ticket already. Not so.

The tech I originally had wasn't available so I got a nice lady who was willing to look at the ticket and do the same for my wifes Curve. Well, after an hour of trial and error on her part and getting nowhere, along with her failure in realizing that the point of the ticket was about getting push email and not just getting polled emails, I was getting frustrated. After being on hold for about 15 minutes I got the feeling I was abandoned so I hung up. I called back and got a different tech this time. After about another 20 minutes of explaining the issue in detail, he finally got it and I started getting push email.

I don't know what they have to do behind the scenes but I guess it isn't as straight forward as I thought and if you are unfortunate enough to not get a RIM tech that knows about the details of the issue be prepared for a tough ride.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #59
whsbuss

Quote:
So I picked my wife up a Curve yesterday and was prepared to go through the same process to get her hosted google email wired up to the notify server that I had to go through. Her email is on a different domain that is also hosted by google apps. So after trying it a few times just to make sure it was polling an not getting push I called RIM support referencing the ticket from my issue. I had figured that would make the call quick and painless since all the information they needed to fix it would be on my old ticket already. Not so.

The tech I originally had wasn't available so I got a nice lady who was willing to look at the ticket and do the same for my wifes Curve. Well, after an hour of trial and error on her part and getting nowhere, along with her failure in realizing that the point of the ticket was about getting push email and not just getting polled emails, I was getting frustrated. After being on hold for about 15 minutes I got the feeling I was abandoned so I hung up. I called back and got a different tech this time. After about another 20 minutes of explaining the issue in detail, he finally got it and I started getting push email.

I don't know what they have to do behind the scenes but I guess it isn't as straight forward as I thought and if you are unfortunate enough to not get a RIM tech that knows about the details of the issue be prepared for a tough ride.
Great story. Thanks for sharing. This makes even more of a reason that RIM should implement a patch for google hosted domains. I always hate playing tech-support russian roulette.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:30 PM   #60
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ROGERS

where can i call rim? its 50 bucks a call

EDIT: got it go through provider!

Last edited by vakulm; 08-08-2007 at 08:47 PM..
Closed Thread