Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #1
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100
Carrier: at&t
Default HTTP Error 400: Bad Request

Please Login to Remove!

Can someone tell me what 'HTTP Error 400: Bad Request' when trying to use my Blackberry browser through my company's BES means. One of my IT guys tried calling t-support, but they tried to hit us up for an $800 contract- I work for the world's cheapest bank, but that's for another post.

We only have 20 users on the BES but apparently I'm the only one who wants to access the web (all senior execs that are still looking for the 'any' key).

We do not use a proxy server to connect to the web so that is not the issue. I will donate $10 to the helpful person's favorite charity who helps me fix this issue.

Btw- a few of the 20 ppl on the BES have 7100s and their browsers seem to work fine. I'm using 7290. Argh!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
TMPhoneBerry
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Re: HTTP Error 400: Bad Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbn
Can someone tell me what 'HTTP Error 400: Bad Request' when trying to use my Blackberry browser through my company's BES means. One of my IT guys tried calling t-support, but they tried to hit us up for an $800 contract- I work for the world's cheapest bank, but that's for another post.

We only have 20 users on the BES but apparently I'm the only one who wants to access the web (all senior execs that are still looking for the 'any' key).

We do not use a proxy server to connect to the web so that is not the issue. I will donate $10 to the helpful person's favorite charity who helps me fix this issue.

Btw- a few of the 20 ppl on the BES have 7100s and their browsers seem to work fine. I'm using 7290. Argh!
Do you have MDS enabled when you installed the BES. You do need MDS as a proxy to connect to the web
Old 01-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #3
foobar
No longer Registered.

Is there a details button that provides more information ?
Old 01-04-2005, 09:37 AM   #4
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

MDS and check your policy to make sure external browsing is allowed
Old 01-04-2005, 10:33 AM   #5
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yes, MDS is installed and running. Where do I have my IT guys check the policy to allow external web browsing. It worked for a few days and then the error started happening so I'm inclined to think we had it set up right at first.

When i click on details 'Invalid response code [-1]'

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-04-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
bfrye
BBF Veteran User

Model: OU812
Carrier: Nintendo

It would be under IT Policy.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:29 PM   #7
mbn
Thumbs Must Hurt

My BES admins are stumped because I just got a 7100g and my blackberry browser still doesn't work and all the other users on the BES don't have this problem. Is this something account specific?

Here are my IT policy settings as they appear (my admins sent me this because they don't know why this continues to be a problem). We are using some verion of 3.6, with no plans to upgrade anytime soon. Someone please help.

HANDHELD POLICY SETTINGS:
IT Policy Name Default
Allow Browser TRUE
Allow Peer-to-Peer Messages TRUE
Allow BCC Recipients TRUE
CMIME Application Policy Group:
Attachment Viewing TRUE
Enable Wireless Email Reconciliation TRUE

DESKTOP POLICY SETTINGS:
Allow Browser TRUE
Message Prompt
Show Application Loader TRUE
Sync Email Instead Of Import TRUE
Email Conflict Desktop Wins TRUE
Auto Backup Frequency 7
Auto Backup Include All TRUE
Show Web Link TRUE
Allow Other Email Services TRUE
Allow Other Browser Services TRUE
Old 03-14-2005, 09:01 PM   #8
ManInBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbn
Can someone tell me what 'HTTP Error 400: Bad Request' when trying to use my Blackberry browser through my company's BES means.
Typically, a 400 error means that a URL request is mangled enough that a server won't parse it (assuming it's trash, an attack, or both). Here's a handy site that outlines it in more detail: http://www.checkupdown.com/status/E400.html

I was receiving this same error on my 7290 after upgrading it to OS 4.0, and trying to use the Blackberry (HTML/WML) browser. Our BES was already at 4.0. WAP browsing (Cingular browser) worked fine, and browsing to internal sites via Blackberry browser worked fine.

As it turns out, our firewall/content filter combo was mangling URL requests enough to cause the error messages from any site I tested.

Once the firewall was set to bypass the content filter for anything originating from the IP address of our BES...voila!

Hope this helps...

Last edited by ManInBlack; 03-14-2005 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: clarified minor technical point
Old 04-20-2006, 05:19 AM   #9
Insane_Homer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: 02 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbn
My BES admins are stumped because I just got a 7100g and my blackberry browser still doesn't work and all the other users on the BES don't have this problem. Is this something account specific?
Same here, we run 8 * 7100s where browsing is not a problem
my director just got a 7100g and it comes up with the same error...

any thoughts...

the handheld has vodafone (uk)s latest build/image on it.

oddly enough it will browse without a problem to the vodafone site !!!

but won't go to any of these I've tried so far...

.google.com
.bbc.co.uk
.bbc.co.uk/mobile

WTF?

Last edited by Insane_Homer; 04-20-2006 at 05:22 AM..
Old 04-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #10
mannaggia
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

We had a similar problem here and it turned out to be a config problem with our router (Cisco). The config of the router was pointing to a firewall that no longer existed.

Our network admin swore up and down that the BES was not going through a firewall - and it wasn't, but when they removed the firewall they didn't update the router settings.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:58 PM   #11
BigSteve

Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers

We have a content filter on our firewall, which our BES server sits behind. I get that error if I go to a blocked site, so it could be your firewall.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:16 AM   #12
HIH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7520

See, I know I was able to surf the internet through my BB7520 (BES). However, it did give me this error after I have used the new Blackberry-Nextel internet service.

I re-register the Hosting Table, won't work; so did all kinds of crazy things on it... but all of a suddent it works again.

Weird
Closed Thread