BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #1
Razor1973
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: AT&T
Default Does the Curve's default mail client support IMAP IDLE? (Or BB life beyond BES/BIS.)

Please Login to Remove!

The question is simple and reflected in the subject of this thread. The reason behind it is a bit more complex if you care to read it, which you don't need to in order to answer the question. If you do, here it goes...

I've always been what I guess you can call a BB admirer. Most of my devices have been QWERTY devices and push mail is paramount for me (personal use), so it is only natural that I hold BB's in high regards, even if I have never owned one. And the main reason I haven't is not only the fact that the BB plans are more expensive than regular internet plans ($10, right?), but also the fact that there is no way I am giving up my current internet plan, which is no longer available, but under which I have been grandfathered for years ($19.99/mo. for unlimited internet + thousands of free SMS/MMS) or going with another provider (especially a non GSM provider... I like switching among my phones frequently).

My e-mail accounts are also hosted by providers that support IMAP and feature IDLE (Gmail, AOL) and I make use of this feature on every one of my phones. My Symbian S60 devices all support IDLE natively and the commercial --and excellent-- FlexMail e-mail client does the job for my WinMo devices.

I know virtually everyone who owns a BB has a BB plan with either their carrier or their company, but I was wondering... If I have a "simple" internet plan, will I be able to set up my IMAP accounts and have the device use IDLE to simulate push like I do with my other phones? As far as you know, are there any third party e-mail clients (freeware or commercial) that support this?

I have been considering buying a Curve and this would be the determining factor for me.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #2
Perfect Storm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers

In order to receive email, you must have a BlackBerry Internet Plan.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

On a non-BlackBerry plan, you can still use third-party email clients on a BlackBerry such as GMAIL Mobile or LogicMail. Both supports IMAP, although not IMAP IDLE.

You won't be able to use BlackBerry branded networking software such as BlackBerry Email or BlackBerry Web Browser. However, Google Maps, Opera Mini Browser, GMAIL Mobile, etc, does work.

At this time, unfortunately, none of the third party email software is as convenient as the BlackBerry's built in messaging client, but you can still get email on a BlackBerry without a BlackBerry plan using this technique. (i.e. just a generic data plan works.)

If you're a programmer, you could contribute to the open-source LogicMail project, and turn it something into good enough for your use.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 06-24-2008 at 02:03 PM..
Old 06-24-2008, 02:14 PM   #4
Razor1973

Oh, so it's not like the client won't support IDLE, but it also won't even let me set up an IMAP account without a BES/BIS account? And I can't even use the browser?!!?! Forget it. I guess I'll keep "admiring" BB's from a distance.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Razor1973

So let me put it this way... If you were/could not get a BES/BIS account (whatever the reason) and you needed a push e-mail of any sort, would you even bother getting a BB?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
And the main reason I haven't is not only the fact that the BB plans are more expensive than regular internet plans ($10, right?)
Well, you're missing out. I not only pay more for a BB data plan but I pay more for a BES data plan and BES hosting. Of course, most people can't justify the added cost or don't need the features of BES or just won't pay and will gripe that they don't have BES features for BIS pricing or less.

As for how much more BB data costs, it depends on the carrier. BIS data is only $19 with TMO. Yes, BB data plans tend to be more expensive but RIM gets a cut of the BB data plans and you can bet that the carriers aren't taking that cut from their end.

Quote:
Oh, so it's not like the client won't support IDLE, but it also won't even let me set up an IMAP account without a BES/BIS account? And I can't even use the browser?!!?! Forget it. I guess I'll keep "admiring" BB's from a distance.
Nope. Something that people that haven't really done their research don't realize is that the BB itself is really more of a frontend. BES and BIS are key components of the backend that really make the BB platform shine. If you try to take the BB and make it work like other platforms then, yes, you're going to be frustrated but working against the flow with anything will be frustrating. When you go with the flow, it's a really wonderful experience. However, it sounds like your needs aren't exactly in line with the "BB way".

IMAP support is definitely one of the BB's weak points. If you absolutely must have IMAP account support I probably wouldn't recommend the BB as a solution for you unless you could deal with its shortcomings. It's really better suited for POP, gmail/Yahoo and BES. Of course, BES is really at the top of the hierarchy as it does an excellent job of integrating the BB with your Exchange account (I have no experience with BB's and Notes).

Quote:
So let me put it this way... If you were/could not get a BES/BIS account (whatever the reason) and you needed a push e-mail of any sort, would you even bother getting a BB?
Since you can't get BB push email without a BB data plan, no. The BB data plan grants access to RIM's infrastructure which is a prerequisite for BES and/or BIS. Again, without BES or BIS the BB loses a lot of functionality (see above). Lets just take BIS as an example. BIS is your interface between your email account and your BB. Between BIS and your BB it's all push. However, your email accounts probably aren't push. BIS is what does all the work. It's this approach that significantly contributes to the better battery life that BB's tend to have. Other pseudo-push solutions have the device frequently polling (and therefore eating up battery life). Granted, there are some actual push alternatives to BB available now as well.

Despite all that and much more that hasn't been discussed (such as automatically pushed service books that configure your BB for you, etc) the biggest plus in BB's corner IMO is stability. I have yet to find a device as stable as the Blackberry. That's really the most important item on my list.

Last edited by takeshi; 06-25-2008 at 09:13 AM..
Old 06-25-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
Razor1973

takeshi, thank you for taking the time. I do need IMAP and I want it to IDLE. I was looking forward to that shiny BB Bold that's coming out, but I guess I will stick to my S60 (IDLE supported natively) and WinMo (FlexMail client provides IDLE support) devices. Definitely getting the Nokia E71 as soon as it makes it to ANY online store and will also upgrade my Samsung BlackJack II to WM6.1 as soon as someone cooks a ROM (almost there).

Again, thank you.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:11 PM   #8
misterb

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

Quote:

I know what you mean. I ran a Centro with Chatter, and the instant email and sync was awesome. What was NOT awesome, was the fact that Chatter is a buggy program designed by a one man shop and no longer fully supported. It screwed with my phone, made it less reliable, messed up the notifications, etc. It also used TONS of battery power. My battery would literally sometimes be dead by 1 in the afternoon. Full sync does absolutely no good if your phone is unstable, and your battery doesn't last worth a damn. Too bad that in life you can't always make a decision between two things where one is perfect and the other is not. That would be easy. For me, having a more stable platform with epic battery life, and a sexy device with tons of features that the Palm can't touch is worth it. I'm sure RIM and Gmail will fix this before too long. It's not rocket science. If enough folks at Google buy BlackBerries, they'll want the features and will likely work it out with RIM. Or maybe RIM employees with a BB and Gmail will appreciate IDLE.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #9
LordBoreal51

Model: 8320
PIN: 2428FC7E
Carrier: T-Mobile

Wirelessly posted

I only pay 20 dollars a month for BIS from TMO. Their equivalent unlimited data plan is 30 dollars, so I'm saving a little on a blackberry. Of course the 30 dollar plan has TMO wifi so I guess it's a matter of choice.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:16 AM   #10
Razor1973

My requirements are GSM and fastest 3G available. AT&T is the only carrier that seems to fit the bill for me. No TMo, sorry.
Closed Thread