Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
larrytxeast

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default 8310 Stopped Working AT&T Prepaid

Please Login to Remove!

I bought my AT&T Blackberry 8310 last December 2008 and migrated from Treo 680 to it, mainly due to instability. Now I am in the situation of having to return there--or wherever, as my Blackberry now isn't working.

It started 7-1-2009, last Wednesday, right around 9 a.m. Peculiar thing is, I had been using it beautifully earlier that morning, totally without incident. Then, almost exactly at 9 a.m. (central time), it "hit the wall" as it were. It has been able to do very little, if any, Internet access since then.

Yes, I live "in the boonies," but until Wednesday it didn't matter--moreover, the problems also manifested exactly the same way during the day, while I was in the city, a large city loaded with coverage.

Thing is, I use AT&T Prepaid with a "generic" data plan (I know, red flags are popping up, or you're going "that's why!"), unlimited usage. Yes I realize Blackberry products use their own data system, either BIS (me) or BES (the Corporate people), and it's typically with a contract account (not prepaid). However, until Wednesday it didn't matter. I used the AT&T MEdia Net browser, Opera Mini 4.2, the GMail applet and Google Maps--all with this "generic" data plan on the prepaid. No problems. (Yes, the Blackberry browser and email program were "hidden" from the screen, but oh well.)

I know that the Blackberry/generic data mismatch likely is the culprit, as my Treo 650--after some hiccups--is running fine (for the most part), ditto an old Nokia candybar phone (yikes) I also tried out--while my Blackberry just won't do a thing data-wise.

They still had my old Treo 650 IMEI number, never mattered. It didn't matter, either, in-between when I was using a Treo 680. Didn't matter with the 8310 for 7 months--also, if I am not mistaken, while trying to address this, I did give them my 8310 IMEI and power-cycled etc, but still nothing.

Am I right? If so, are there any workarounds, or is it basically "put up or shut up" time with regards to getting a post-paid account and a proper BIS data plan? Otherwise, til then, I am back with my Treo 650--which I like better in some ways (threaded SMS for one), but overall I preferred my 8310 and would like to resume with it if I can.

LRH
Old 07-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Att actively seeks out mismatched devices and data features. Sounds like that is what happened
Old 07-03-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
larrytxeast

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Darn It (8310 No Longer Working AT&T Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezrunner View Post
Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Att actively seeks out mismatched devices and data features. Sounds like that is what happened
Darn it. Too bad, I really enjoyed my time with the 8310. I won't say necessarily life stinks with my 650, but I did prefer the 8310 overall.

Oh well. Either I'll up & create a postpaid account and get the BIS plan or end up with something like a HTC-product like the 8525 or Tilt, or a Samsung Epix etc. I was used to having the $20 unlimited prepaid (plus it's grandfathered if I cancel I'll never get it back). Freaking A!
Closed Thread