PIN: Ask
Carrier: US Cellular

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterG
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasmith3530 View Post
You mean that "jailbreaking" the iPhone will allow for video function from the camera? It will allow for multi-tasking? It will suddenly add the OBEX profile to Bluetooth? It will fix the difficulty with texting? It will make the screen bulletproof? And last, will it speed up web browsing under GPRS?

Oh since jayuk022002 didn't mention it, I'll add it and ask here. Will jailbreaking fix the lousy RF reception?

I don't think so!

A garbage phone, even if it's sexy, is still a garbage phone. But hey, it is soooo desirable. HA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayuk022002 View Post
I have owned an iphone 3g 8gb. I was caught by the wow factor and for the first week i thought it was amazing.

In fact it was the wow factor that was hiding all of the horrible bits.

These are the reasons why i got rid of my iphone (not in any order)

1) MMS - no mms

2) No more than 1 program open at a time

3) You cannot bluetooth anything at all. Only can be used with headsets and car kits

4) PC Connectivity. You cannot just quickly connect it to a pc and just copy files onto it

5) Texting is slow and hard to hit the right letters

6) You cannot forward text messages

7) There is always the fear of breaking the screen

8) No custom ring tones or text tones

9) Web browser is only good if you get 3g signal or wifi. Basic gprs is too slow for it.

10) No video camera

This is just my personal opinion though
Let me clarify my "Jailbreak" post:

1. MMS: Native iPhone App: You can now Send & Receive MMS on your iPhone using SwirlyMMS - iPhone Hacks

2. Running apps in the background: http://lifehacker.com/5058555/iphone...le-iphone-apps

3. Bluetooth: iBluetooth Released - First iPhone App to Allow Users to Transfer Files via Bluetooth - iPhone Hacks

4. PC Connectivity: No need to jailbreak here DISCOVER

5. Try a different keyboard: keyboard themes for iphone - Google Search

6. Forward text messages: Text forwarding/deleting with BiteSMS / Jailbreak req'd - iPhone 3G | iPod touch Forums

7. Cases: iphone cases - Google Product Search

8. Custom Ring Tones etc.: I'm not even going to link this one as there are thousands.

9. Browser Speed: Wouldn't know as I've got a Touch

10. Video: Lifehacker - VideoRecorder Turns Your iPhone into a Video Camera - Apps Worth Jailbreaking For

All of that being said, I'm a huge fan of my 8300 Curve and am really looking forward to my next BB phone. The point though is that jailbreaking can do sooo much more for your iPhone or Touch.
And after all that work and God only knows what expense, you still have the lousey RF reception! Seems like a waste to me. And, to JackG, now you are carrying three devices around, when just two would do admirably. I see both the iPhone and the iTouch as just a huge waste of dough, but hey, if wasting dough is your thing, don't let me stand in your way!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:22 AM   #42
ScooterG
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: E71x
PIN: Up Models Rule.
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

And after all that work and God only knows what expense, you still have the lousey RF reception! Seems like a waste to me. And, to JackG, now you are carrying three devices around, when just two would do admirably. I see both the iPhone and the iTouch as just a huge waste of dough, but hey, if wasting dough is your thing, don't let me stand in your way!
Easy bud, it took about 5 minutes of my precious time. I have a Touch so I don't have lousy reception. And, the Touch was a gift....read the thread
Old 04-25-2009, 08:44 AM   #43
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterG
Quote:
Wirelessly posted

Easy bud, it took about 5 minutes of my precious time. I have a Touch so I don't have lousy reception. And, the Touch was a gift....read the thread
You made that many mods in 5 minutes. I've got to give you points for that Scooter. As for being a gift, even so, I don't think it would see much use around me. But hey, have fun with it.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #44
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

Moving to the BlackBerry Versus forum.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:08 AM   #45
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

The first iphone with the metal back had the RF problem. The newer 3G does not.
Old 04-25-2009, 02:05 PM   #46
alent1234

Model: 8330
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

between my wife and i we have 2 blackberries and an iPhone 3G, and I might get another iPhone for myself when the new ones come out this summer.

BB is nice for corporate email, but iphone is a better phone overall because of the applications. And you can load a lot more apps on an iphone than a blackberry. my wife has kids stuff like flash card apps on her iphone for our son to play with. and he loves the touch screen. he's only 19 months and is trying to figure out where the picture moves when he changes it.

and the iphone's corporate email functionality is pretty good too. the 3rd version of the iphone OS looks amazing so far. and the iphone is cheaper than a lot of the smart phones out there.

the iphone is still behind in some features and functionality, but i don't use MMS and other features will be there in the next version of the OS and hardware

Last edited by alent1234; 04-25-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #47
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: IT&E

Quote:
the iphone does have some definite appeal, but how long would it take for that to wear off if you were to get one?
Much longer than you think it would. The reason for that is that unlike the Blackberry, the iPod Touch has way more apps, and a way more variety in between from the serious to the frivolous. 1 billion app downloads now and counting, and a recent report pegs that over 70% of developers working in some form of mobile app are making that the iPhone's. They got all the big names even, and even Hulu is promising a TV app for the iPhone. When the same app appears in the iPhone and with other platforms, it generally looks better and has more features on the iPhone.

I still remember all the IBM OS/2 vs. Windows 3.1 arguments long long time ago. What people are saying here is an echo of all the arguments. OS/2 = best for business, more secure and stable, can multitask, gets the job done, etc,. Windows = flashy flaky but tons of developer support. Guess who won out in the end.

Right now, with regards to anything that involves typing, keep the Curve. For anything dealing with the Internet, games and multimedia, keep the iPod Touch. Remember that the Touch can be had as much as 32Gb. That's an awful lot of songs, videos, podcasts and applications it can keep.

The iPod Touch complements any primary phone very well. I work on that system all the time. What the iPod Touch brings to the table is that you don't have to make a platform choice. You can keep your phone and keep your iPod, have the best of both worlds.

If you want my opinion though, the best phone to pair an iPod Touch is a Symbian phone on 3G, preferably one of those Nokia types with Wifi. Using JoikuSpot, you can turn the phone into a wireless internet router then use that as the gateway for the iPod Touch. Second to that would be Windows Mobile phones which also has a third party wireless router app. It would be neat for someone to develop a similar application for the Blackberry, of course, the BB's are those with Wifi, like the Bold.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-25-2009 at 08:53 PM..
Old 04-25-2009, 09:42 PM   #48
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
The first iphone with the metal back had the RF problem. The newer 3G does not.
Read my previous posts. My best friend and his wife both have the 3G version, and they both suffer from the poor reception. Hell, the largest single group of complaints about 3G iPhone performance, or lack thereof, is on Apple's own forum!

I know of other folks that have had reception problems with their 3G iPhones as well. Of course, they feel bad that they spent so much money for a phone that cannot even make and complete a basic phone call without drifting or dropping the call completely.

As I said, if you want to buy garbage because of its "wow factor," then have at it. There are many other "sheep" that Apple will sheer along with you!

To alent1234,

The current iPhone has problems doing an OTA sync with Exchange Server if you have a self-signed root CA. This is the same issue that plagued pre-AKU2 Windows Mobile smartphones, like the Moto Q. I would not call that good corporate support. And how can a PHONE be a BETTER PHONE overall when it has reception problems making simple phone calls and cannot connect to an Exchange server to sync mail and your GAL?

To Drillbit,

Thank you, you just made my point perfectly. OS/2 was a far better OS than Windows, but the sheep followed Bill Gates. The same could be said in the video world, where Beta was a far better format, technically, than VHS, but again, the market followed the herd, and VHS became the standard. Although technically, the iPhone is not the best hardware/OS platform out there (for a phone), most developers are going to go where the money is, and right now, that's Apple. They will even go there, having to lock themselves in to virtual Apple servitude (read Apple's developer agreement). And yes, 32GB is a lot, but, in the end, it is not expandable, and that was done by Apple on purpose, so they could sucker you into the 48GB version next year. Do you think for a moment that they couldn't have put a Micro SDHC slot on the devices? Even the iPod Classic has 120GB, but no expandable storage.

You mentioned Symbian, which has some cool features, but the one to really watch is Android (and possibly OpenMoko). With the power of a full blown OS like Linux behind them, and Open Source to boot, the sky is truly not even the limit!
Old 04-25-2009, 10:57 PM   #49
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Read my previous posts. My best friend and his wife both have the 3G version, and they both suffer from the poor reception. Hell, the largest single group of complaints about 3G iPhone performance, or lack thereof, is on Apple's own forum!

I know of other folks that have had reception problems with their 3G iPhones as well. Of course, they feel bad that they spent so much money for a phone that cannot even make and complete a basic phone call without drifting or dropping the call completely.
I believe many of these problems were related to AT&Ts 3G network, that didn't work as advertised in many places, not the iphone itself. Many of these "RF Problems" disappeared when users switched off the 3G radio in those problem areas.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:02 AM   #50
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I believe many of these problems were related to AT&Ts 3G network, that didn't work as advertised in many places, not the iphone itself. Many of these "RF Problems" disappeared when users switched off the 3G radio in those problem areas.
OK, so in the case of the folks I know, that means the Chicago market. If you can't get good 3G reception in the Chicagoland area, that pretty much sucks. You're telling me that, in order to not drop calls on their iPhones, my friends have to turn off 3G service in favor of GPRS?

Also, why is all the buzz related to the iPhone 3G. I'm not hearing a clamoring of issues from folks other than iPhone users. I have friends with AT&T phones other than iPhones, and I don't have them dropping calls like flies. In fact, when my best friend's wife was using her previous phone, an unlocked, 3G capable Moto RIZR, she never dropped a call we were on. Now, with her iPhone 3G, it's a regular occurrence.

Google on iPhone reception issues
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #51
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
OK, so in the case of the folks I know, that means the Chicago market. If you can't get good 3G reception in the Chicagoland area, that pretty much sucks. You're telling me that, in order to not drop calls on their iPhones, my friends have to turn off 3G service in favor of GPRS?

Also, why is all the buzz related to the iPhone 3G. I'm not hearing a clamoring of issues from folks other than iPhone users. I have friends with AT&T phones other than iPhones, and I don't have them dropping calls like flies. In fact, when my best friend's wife was using her previous phone, an unlocked, 3G capable Moto RIZR, she never dropped a call we were on. Now, with her iPhone 3G, it's a regular occurrence.

When you switch off 3G you are in EDGE, not GPRS. Also, many of the reception problems were also corrected with later software updates. Apple isn't the only one with device problems. The Storm and Bold both had serious issues that had to be corrected with software updates. Some carriers overseas dropped the Bold entirely due to on going problems.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #52
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ
Quote:

When you switch off 3G you are in EDGE, not GPRS. Also, many of the reception problems were also corrected with later software updates. Apple isn't the only one with device problems. The Storm and Bold both had serious issues that had to be corrected with software updates. Some carriers overseas dropped the Bold entirely due to on going problems.
I would think that AT&T would rush to fix an issue affecting a market as large as Chicago, so I don't realistically believe that is the culprit. Additionally, my friend, and his wife both have the latest and greatest updates to their iPhones, so that takes that out of the equation, which leaves hardware, as in the chip that many are discussing in forums across the web, including Apple's own. There has been so much discussion on the Apple support forums on this issue that they've had to open multiple threads because they take so long to load due to being so large.

Of course, the problem doesn't really exist, and is just a figment of people's imaginations, just as my friend's phone didn't drop our call three times during a conversation just yesterday.

BTW, you will note that this was originally posted to the Curve forum. I don't own a Storm or Bold, and wouldn't accept such lousy reception if I did. Also, a problem with either of those phones doesn't make the problem with Apple's ONLY phone excusable!

Again, if you are willing to pay good money for a handful of problems, God bless you, I will stick with what works!
Old 04-26-2009, 10:28 AM   #53
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Some carriers overseas dropped the Bold entirely due to on going problems.
Docomo Japan dropped the Bold temporarily due to strange overheating problems.

Man, that is so HTC like.
Old 04-26-2009, 10:49 AM   #54
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
Docomo Japan dropped the Bold temporarily due to strange overheating problems.

Man, that is so HTC like.
What HTC models are having overheating issues?
Old 04-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #55
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Although technically, the iPhone is not the best hardware/OS platform out there (for a phone),
Technically, when the iPhone first came out, it was the best hardware. In 2007, you won't find a phone that has at least a 667MHz processor, possibly ARM 11, accelerometer, at least 128mb of DRAM, 8 to 16gb of NAND, and a 3D accelerator subsystem that is better than the Sony PSP's. Today, there is still no PDA or smartphone out there that has a game console grade 3D subsystem.

Of course, you can expect this from a company that is a true genuine computer company.

Where Apple is wet behind the ears is RF performance. That's where companies like Motorola has decades of experience. I would expect the iPhone to have teething issues when it comes to RF; this kind of stuff you won't master with just one product generation.

Android the only full blown OS because of Linux? Hush. The iPhone OS is based on the Mac OSX. MacOS X itself is based on NeXTOS, which is a full POXIX compliant Unix operating system based on a microkernel, layered with an object oriented API and user interface. Linux can only claim "mostly" POSIX compliance, and in comparison MacOS X is a true Unix. To comprehend the entire idea, what you hold in your hand as an iPhone or iPod touch is an actual Unix machine.

In this case, the microkernel is called MACH, which is also used on the Unix systems working on IBM's RS/6000 servers. Linux itself is still based on the classic monolithic kernel concept.

Symbian, like OSX and Linux, at least, has a good start with the use of protected memory spaces and preemptive multitasking along with a microkernel concept and inspiration from VMS (used in DEC VAX). It's Unix like in a way, being partly POSIX compliant. That puts it in the category closer to Windows NT which also has inspirations from VAX VMS and uses asynchronous server events. So basically, the OS in your Nokia N95 is more advanced than a pre Windows XP or NT PC or a pre Mac OSX Mac. Heck, more advanced than OS/2.

I dunno with Windows CE, and Blackberry's OS design isn't well discussed. I don't get the impression that Windows CE aka Windows Mobile is that well architected. Certainly well ahead of Palm's, the Palm OS is basically a single tasking, single user system, not that far from the original Macintosh.

Basically I would put OSX, Symbian, Android, all the mobile Linux, aka Open Moko, LiMo, etc,. ahead of Windows CE/Mobile, Palm OS and probably even RIM's own OS as well as proprietary OS used by Samsung, LG, Nokia Series 40, etc,.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-26-2009 at 11:37 AM..
Old 04-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #56
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
What HTC models are having overheating issues?

Have you owned an HTC before? They got a tendency to get quite warm, like it does with the Diamond, under heavy use. That's energy from the battery going away.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:24 PM   #57
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Have you owned an HTC before? They got a tendency to get quite warm, like it does with the Diamond, under heavy use. That's energy from the battery going away.
The phone I left for my Curve is an HTC PPC6800, modified with an updated Bootloader (NueSPL 2.47), Radio (3.42.50), and kitchen-built ROM (dcd 3.2.6). As supplied by US Cellular, it had Windows Mobile 6 on it. I installed the updated firmwares primarily to gain access to the phone's GPS chip, but this also gave me the latest 6.1 interface (Build 20275.1.3.3dcd) with threaded messaging and such. I was also a heavy user of Pocket Office and Media Player. I've been using stereo Bluetooth headsets since I first tested the HT820 at Motorola and currently ue the S9HD.

This phone never got anywhere near as warm as my old Product (RED) V3m RAZR. That was one warm phone, although it never failed or locked up.

So yes, I have owned an HTC before, and was in fact considering the Touch Pro when I decided t go with the Curve instead.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #58
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

The newer HTCs can get pretty warm. Your old HTC doesn't have a 528Mhz processor with as much as 288mb of DRAM and a 3D graphics subsystem. Not too long ago that's the specs for a desktop. The Bold goes further with a 600MHz plus processor. That's starting to eat some serious juice.

The Touch Pro is really one cool machine. Like a Lamborghini for phones. The Curve though seems more user friendly in terms of both its software and approach to hardware. You didn't make a mistake in choosing it.

Last edited by Drillbit; 04-26-2009 at 01:11 PM..
Old 04-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #59
rasmith3530
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
The newer HTCs can get pretty warm. Your old HTC doesn't have a 528Mhz processor with as much as 288mb of DRAM and a 3D graphics subsystem. Not too long ago that's the specs for a desktop. The Bold goes further with a 600MHz plus processor. That's starting to eat some serious juice.

The Touch Pro is really one cool machine. Like a Lamborghini for phones. The Curve though seems more user friendly in terms of both its software and approach to hardware. You didn't make a mistake in choosing it.
There was a part of me that REALLY wanted the Touch Pro, for exactly the reason you mention. It was the OS that turned me away. Friends who've loaded their Touch Pros with WinMo 6.5 report more eye candy, but over the same base interface. A couple folks who tried porting 6.5 over to a 6800 reported that it's painfully slow. If I'd thought that I could somewhat easily port Android to it, I would have gone for it.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:41 AM   #60
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you want to hear my personal horror story, a few days ago, my HTC stopped working, or had several parts of it stopped working. No installed programs appeared on Remove Programs for example, and it stopped syncing with the Mobile Device Manager although I can still make disk to disk transfers to it. This means the software on the phone is now a problem.

The phone works well when clean but after a while, after many installations, registry changes, all the firmware changes and additions you put in, the OS gradually becomes corrupted and parts of it stops working effectively. I had to do a hard reset on the phone to render it clean and restore the phone to its original state. Then I restored my contacts using another phone (a Nokia N85) and reinstall only the programs I need from the memory storage. Now I got everything working again, including the PC sync and the program uninstaller.
Closed Thread