BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #21
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

There have been articles in the past about Vodafone selling off their piece of Verizon Wireless, and the enormous tax implications. Also, Verizon has a huge marketnbrand - "Can you hear me now". Vodafone has virtually no brand identification in North America.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #22
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
...."Can you hear me now"....
my wife has been a verizon customer for more than 5 years...

1/4 of the time it's: 'no, i can't hear you now'

to be fair, i've tried and tested my own connection throughout these years with various phones on the same carrier, i've had fewer 'can you hear me now' moments....

anyone can say anything, in my experiences it's been tmob that's proved more reliable than both verizon and at&t for call connection and sound quality
Old 04-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
my wife has been a verizon customer for more than 5 years...

1/4 of the time it's: 'no, i can't hear you now'

to be fair, i've tried and tested my own connection throughout these years with various phones on the same carrier, i've had fewer 'can you hear me now' moments....

anyone can say anything, in my experiences it's been tmob that's proved more reliable than both verizon and at&t for call connection and sound quality
It's whatever works for you. Argue who's better than the other, but if it doesn't work for you, it won't matter. They all have millions and millions of customers.

Quite honestly, T-Mobile has been great for me. I can't remember the last time i've gotten a call. When I had Sprint (back in 01-02) it was horrid. And for some odd reason, everywhere that I lived, it never worked in my house when I had Verizon!

Not everyone goes to the same places or uses their phone in the same place.

I guess if you want to argue who's the best, argue who has the most customer, cause I guess that carrier is working supposedly "better" for more "customers". But if you aren't part of that 80 million, heck they don't matter to you. LOL.

I'm happy with my 25 million + customer network.

back to topic though, this rumor. Are they fully switching to GSM? Like devices will now be fully GSM. Or is this more of a storm type of device, CDMA + GSM/UMTS? Basically, is CDMA going to disapear from Verizon?

Last edited by BallHawk3; 04-10-2009 at 03:12 PM..
Old 04-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #24
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHawk3 View Post
back to topic though, this rumor. Are they fully switching to GSM? Like devices will now be fully GSM. Or is this more of a storm type of device, CDMA + GSM/UMTS? Basically, is CDMA going to disapear from Verizon?
No, they're not adding GSM, just UMTS/HSPA. Bell and Telus are doing this in Canada right now, and SK Telecom and KT Freetel did it in South Korea about 3 years ago. CDMA will eventually disappear once they have sufficient coverage with UMTS/HSPA (and later LTE). The phones they sell will most likely have GSM radios to allow customers to roam on at&t and T-Mobile while they build out the network, but Vodafone won't be operating GSM here.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:33 AM   #25
matrix2004
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AB5FC
Carrier: Verizon '4G COMING LATE 2009'

Is this for real? Its not funny if its not.
Old 04-11-2009, 03:56 PM   #26
ffejie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: VZW

Not a chance does VZW drop the name to re-brand as Vodaphone. Vodaphone has no brand in the US, it just doesn't make any sense.

The technology stuff makes sense though.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #27
rec9140

Model: 7100t
Carrier: A Carrier

First, April Fools was last week.

Second, Voda can NOT purchase 100% of either VZW or TMobile due to the FCC and US rules on foreign ownership. Same applies to TMobile US is going to have to have US based ownership of some form.

Third, the real basis of this rumor.

L T E aka 4G.

VZW is making the move to LTE for their 4G network.

This is NOT GSM!

This is NOT UMTS!

This IS 4G. Not that same.

Having a network that was previously GSM, and UMTS (which is W-CDMA ) makes moving to LTE for the RF AIR SIDE no big deal, as these carriers have MAP backends.

Yes, VZW will need to ADD/upgrade for the LTE side to MAP v. ANSI on the CDMA backend, on the network.

BUT.....the USD$64,000 question is LTE Voice?

One its not done, the LTE Voice working group has not finalized a LTE voice protocol. LTE is 100% IP Data, no voice, no data, its all data. Voice has to have a format to be sent.

For the intial 4G rollout expect LTE data and standard CDMA based Voice on VZW and all the other CDMA's that have pledged LTE movement. Once the LTE voice group works out the voice protocol then LTE will move to take over the CDMA voice network as well.

Voda can want a US solution that allows its UMTS (W-CDMA) subs to be able to travel to the US and have native coverage, until Voda ponies up the $$$$ to install a mixed sites with UMTS and CDMA/1x EVDO its not happening.

Makes no sense to add a layer that will be outdated and replaced by the time its complete. LTE is where VZW is heading to shut Voda up, so they don't have to pay Voda to go away.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:13 PM   #28
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec9140 View Post
First, April Fools was last week.

Second, Voda can NOT purchase 100% of either VZW or TMobile due to the FCC and US rules on foreign ownership. Same applies to TMobile US is going to have to have US based ownership of some form.

Third, the real basis of this rumor.

L T E aka 4G.

VZW is making the move to LTE for their 4G network.

This is NOT GSM!

This is NOT UMTS!

This IS 4G. Not that same.

Having a network that was previously GSM, and UMTS (which is W-CDMA ) makes moving to LTE for the RF AIR SIDE no big deal, as these carriers have MAP backends.

Yes, VZW will need to ADD/upgrade for the LTE side to MAP v. ANSI on the CDMA backend, on the network.

BUT.....the USD$64,000 question is LTE Voice?

One its not done, the LTE Voice working group has not finalized a LTE voice protocol. LTE is 100% IP Data, no voice, no data, its all data. Voice has to have a format to be sent.

For the intial 4G rollout expect LTE data and standard CDMA based Voice on VZW and all the other CDMA's that have pledged LTE movement. Once the LTE voice group works out the voice protocol then LTE will move to take over the CDMA voice network as well.

Voda can want a US solution that allows its UMTS (W-CDMA) subs to be able to travel to the US and have native coverage, until Voda ponies up the $$$$ to install a mixed sites with UMTS and CDMA/1x EVDO its not happening.

Makes no sense to add a layer that will be outdated and replaced by the time its complete. LTE is where VZW is heading to shut Voda up, so they don't have to pay Voda to go away.
I never said they weren't going to LTE, I just said they were going to overlay their network with UMTS/HSPA and eventually remove CDMA in the process of the migration to LTE. I know what 4G is.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM   #29
Drillbit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: IT&E

4G CDMA or CDMA-2000 isn't LTE. Basically it goes like this for CDMA.

EV-DO Rev. A - 3G
EV-DO Rev. B - 3.5G (its actually faster than 7.2mbs HDSPA)
EV-DO Rev. C - 4G

Sprint is going WiMax, not EV-DO Rev.C.

Verizon is already planning to go LTE since 2007.

Verizon adopts GSM standard for 4G network, CDMA limelight fading? : Boy Genius Report

LTE alone has two distinct flavors. The one that will arise from GSM-UMTS will be FDD-LTE, since GSM and UMTS uses Frequency Divide Duplex (FDD), where one frequency is used for uplink and a second frequency for downlink. Basically its a conversion off the UMTS equipment.

In China, they are pursuing a separate flavor for LTE. Its called TDD-LTE or Time Division Duplex. It takes one frequency and asynchronously create time slots for uplinks and downlinks, with the time allocation based on demand. The advantage of this system is it make a more efficient use of bandwidth particularly with Internet, because Internet usage of uplinks and downlinks are hardly symmetrical, heavily biased on the downlink side. This is basically a conversion off from TD-SCDMA networks.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #30
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
4G CDMA or CDMA-2000 isn't LTE. Basically it goes like this for CDMA.

EV-DO Rev. A - 3G
EV-DO Rev. B - 3.5G (its actually faster than 7.2mbs HDSPA)
EV-DO Rev. C - 4G

Sprint is going WiMax, not EV-DO Rev.C.

Verizon is already planning to go LTE since 2007.

Verizon adopts GSM standard for 4G network, CDMA limelight fading? : Boy Genius Report

LTE alone has two distinct flavors. The one that will arise from GSM-UMTS will be FDD-LTE, since GSM and UMTS uses Frequency Divide Duplex (FDD), where one frequency is used for uplink and a second frequency for downlink. Basically its a conversion off the UMTS equipment.

In China, they are pursuing a separate flavor for LTE. Its called TDD-LTE or Time Division Duplex. It takes one frequency and asynchronously create time slots for uplinks and downlinks, with the time allocation based on demand. The advantage of this system is it make a more efficient use of bandwidth particularly with Internet, because Internet usage of uplinks and downlinks are hardly symmetrical, heavily biased on the downlink side. This is basically a conversion off from TD-SCDMA networks.
Technically, the 4G standard for CDMA was UMB, but no provider went for it, including the South Korean providers.

For all intents and purposes, TDD-LTE willl be virtually ignored, much like TD-SCDMA has been.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #31
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I love pissing contests.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #32
matrix2004
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 304AB5FC
Carrier: Verizon '4G COMING LATE 2009'

Looks like Verizon wants to get rid of Vodafone.

Verizon CEO speaks.

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Verizon CEO talks Vodafone, Sprint, CDMA/LTE Iphone
Old 04-17-2009, 07:04 AM   #33
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Curve 4.6.0.62)

I knew it was not gonna happen to many variables
Old 04-17-2009, 08:49 AM   #34
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Well, I guess it's safe to let everyone know it was a joke.

It was funny to see this get re-posted on other forums and watching people freak out.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:51 AM   #35
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

This was a joke?! You're kidding, right? You got my hopes up only to let me fall
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #36
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
This was a joke?! You're kidding, right? You got my hopes up only to let me fall
Sadly it was only wishful thinking...
Old 04-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #37
Dawg
No longer Registered.

A bad joke at that.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:33 PM   #38
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
A bad joke at that.
Why? It did its job.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:22 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Because it went on too long
Old 04-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #40
Taint

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg View Post
Because it went on too long
Are you aware of the spelling mistake in your avatar? Ill let you find it.

Hint: your=you're stupid

Last edited by Taint; 04-17-2009 at 04:14 PM..
Closed Thread