BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #1
eieio

Model: 8100
Default 8100 Firmware 4.2.0.42: advisable to upgrade to current TMobile newer firmware?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All:

i've had my Tmobile blackberry 8100 Pearl since September 2006. my firmware is the one listed in the thread title line above.

i know that Tmobile has posted a new firmware for the Pearl that's something like "v.......62" or something like that.

may i ask if it is advisable to download that? there is that traditional wisdom of firmware upgrading of "if it ain't broke and if it's doing what you want it to do, don't upgrade firmware!"

on the other hand, the fact that the Pearl trackball button DISABLING all incoming calls' ringing (it effectively silences the phone if you tried to pull the phone out of your pocket while an incoming call is ringing) even if you just are walking around with the phone in your pants pocket or if you tried to pull it out of your pocket, there's no way that you can really do that without touching the trackball and thereby silencing the phone, in fact, frequently even putting the phone to "do not accept this call" situation. VERY annoying.

i was told that the latest firmware would change that.

is that true? thx in advance!
Old 12-11-2006, 02:42 PM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

Any firmware version later than .42 will fix that. T-mobile's latest version is .64, however, .67 is currently that latest version available to the public. All versions from all manufacturers will work with your pearl. There are a few threads in here that will walk you through the upgrade process so that it will work with your carrier.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 12-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #3
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

yes, that is fixed, but you lose the ability to disable the auto-dim feature. alot of people don't like the trade off. personal choice.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #4
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I couldn't live with the bug where moving the trackwheel disabled the ringtone. I can live with the auto-dim functionality removed - and the choice has to be yours. I am running 4.2.0.67 now.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:12 PM   #5
eieio

what are the downsides to just downloading the .64 Tmobile version rather than the .67? I assume that there are additional "hassles" associated with downloading a non-Tmobile firmware and there are apt to be miscellaneous incompatibilities with Tmobile that one would eventually find out, from time to time, right?

i've been cautious about firmware because i'm not that keen on investing the time and energy to get everything to work properly. if the downsides to the .64 isn't that big (and i don't know that for sure), maybe it's not worth the hassle for some (or many) people?

just asking...because you guys seem to know A LOT about this! thx in advance! this is just the good advice i need!

i've had problems in the past with buying phones from the UK and then having to do all sorts of modifications/minor alterations here and there just to make it work properly here in the US with Tmobile. eventually, i got sick and tired with my phone not "fully" compatible with Tmobile and wished that new and interesting phones would come out super fast with Tmobile so i don't have to buy phones from abroad!!

i'm so glad that this Pearl 8100 is so new and Tmobile got it right away. that's why i got it during the first week...but, alas, my firmware probably has all sorts of bugs and stuff that need to be changed/upgraded...right? i can't even find a list of fixes to my version that the .64 or .67 has changed. shouldn't there be some sort of "Table" that would list each version's changes? that would make sense!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I have had no incompatibilities with using the 4.2.0.67 on the T-Mobile network. If you are concerned then go with the .64 by all means. Bug fixes, etc. are "supposed" to be cumulative. Of course, new bugs could be introduced.

There is no list of fixes - RIM gives that to the carriers and they decide whether or not to share it. Wouldn't that be nice....
Old 12-11-2006, 03:19 PM   #7
ejmccartin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio
... can't even find a list of fixes to my version that the .64 or .67 has changed. shouldn't there be some sort of "Table" that would list each version's changes? that would make sense!
that would make sense . . . and we can't have that now can we.
take some time to rummage around some of the upgrade threads and you'll see the changes. those are the two big things I can think of. along with the ability to use 2GB microSD cards with a later version - someone help me out was that .62 or .67?
I'm running .67 with out any problems - except the auto-dim annoyance.
it all has to do with what you're willing to live with ...or without.
good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 PM   #8
eieio

NJBlackberry: thx!

so the question is what the differences between the .64 and the .67 that you have. ideally, if the "fixes" are very small or not important to me, the safer and more conservative route would be to just go for the .64 from Tmobile and not worry at all about anything. the somewhat more risky approach would be to try to capture ALL the fixes to-date and do the .67, like you did. Of course, being the front runner and "martyr" you are ;) you've done the risky part for the rest of us and have reported no known incompatibilties, rigth?

it would be interesting to know what the differences between the .67 and .64 for the simple reason: why risk and bother with the .67 if one doesn't have to?

thx in advance and look forward to hearing more from you all!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

I was sent this list of fixes as part of .64; the problem is I don't know what the starting base was - .51? .42?

> Removes the feature of the trackball silencing an incoming ring
> Adds the feature to have the Mute key silence an incoming ring
> Fixes the bug where sometimes audio tones are "erased" and the user doesnxxx8217;t hear incoming or outgoing calls and sometimes the microphone goes out.
> myFaves contact names that are 20 characters now display correctly
> Charging via the USB tether cable with an older version of Desktop Manager (USB 1.0 vs. 2.0) is resolved.
> Opening a new web link displays the new link, and not the previous web site
> "fake mute" is fixed
> Sending or receiving an SMS by a myFaves contact shows the full name, and not just the phone number.

It doesn't mention the 1/2 GB microSD fix, which was included in .51

And I have no idea what "fake mute" means!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:26 PM   #10
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
why risk and bother with the .67 if one doesn't have to?
You are absolutely, 100% correct.

And yet, I am waiting for .69 to come out from Cingular.
Why? An obsession with having the latest OS, I guess
Same reason I have a beta of Vista (well, that was NOT a good move).
Old 12-11-2006, 03:40 PM   #11
RoadRider
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

One word of advice regarding upgrades, have a copy of javaloader handy BEFORE proceeding. These things can and do go bad and it's best to be prepared.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
eieio

Mr. Roadrider:

what is that Javaloader you mentioned? i have no idea what it is or what it is used for and also certainly how to use it!

ouch. what does someone like me do then?

feeling stomach acid already even before starting the firmware upgrading process! i always feel this way. ick.

:(
Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM   #13
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Javaloader (os the JL_CMDER shell) allows you to totally wipe out a BlackBerry (except for the IT Policy) if the load doesn't work, or if an application renders the BB unusable.

Don't feel icky. We are here to help. And don't forget to make a backup!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
eieio

NJBlackberry: so does that mean i have to have javaloader FIRST before i do the firmware upgrade?

confused.

what do i do with javaloader? where do i get it? i'm 99% sure that i will NOT be doing the public, non-Tmobile sanctioned and blessed .67. Call me clueless and no guts, but i'm "afeared" ;)

please help! anyone! thx!
Old 12-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #15
Bryan H

Default Software installation

Would someone be so kind as to tell me (a new bb owner), where I can find detailed instructions on how to install the latest 4.2.0.67 software
Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #16
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...nload-now.html

Read the above thread. You'll find all the info you need here.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:29 PM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Quote:
NJBlackberry: so does that mean i have to have javaloader FIRST before i do the firmware upgrade?

confused.

what do i do with javaloader? where do i get it? i'm 99% sure that i will NOT be doing the public, non-Tmobile sanctioned and blessed .67. Call me clueless and no guts, but i'm "afeared" ;)

please help! anyone! thx!
You do not need Javaloader - it is a precautionary measure.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:58 PM   #18
eieio

Mr. NJBlackberry:

Would it make sense to know what to do with Javaloader as a precautionary measure? it would see wise to learn to perform these "precautionary" things/tools BEFORE something happens that's really bad and drastic.

i don't know how much of a learning curve it takes but it would be awfully scary if the 8100 Pearl goes kaput during or right after the firmware upgrade process! on top of that, you know how risk averse i am since i'm not even considering the .67 version - i'm only going to do the "fully Tmobile sanctioned" .64 version!

thx again...in advance of all upcoming advice from y'all ;)
Old 12-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

You will only need to use Javaloader (and I suggest download JL_CMDER since it is a nice wrapper around it).

If your BB gets messed up and someone says "wipe it and reload the OS" use JL_CMDER. It is a nice shell and intuitive. Search for it here.

You do NOT need to use it before upgrading.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:06 PM   #20
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

I recommend doing the .67 upgrade. I went from .42 directly to .67. it's a pretty safe upgrade. There are fewer bugs in it. It's a simple procedure as outlined in several threads. Just remember after installing both the desktop manager and the OS package to delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.

JLCMDER is a great tool to use to wipe the handheld in case something does go bad during the install. Download and keep it for future use. As NJ says, you most likely won't need it.

Note: the upgrade takes about 30 minutes and will appear to hang at "waiting for device initialization." Dont unplug it, just let it go til its done. Good luck....
Closed Thread