BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
khosra
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Amplifying wifi signal to get UMA to work?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.

I moved into a new place where I share wifi with my landlord and the wifi is located two floors from mine and the signal is weak. It is good enough for my laptop (50%) but not for my T-Mobile Curve where wifi works barely once in a while.

Is it possible to put a second router in my apartment to amplify the signal so that my phone wireless also works? Will this also help UMA work as I don't have a cellular signal either? I used UMA all the time in my old place and it worked great on a Linksys WRT54G. Can I use my WRT54G as some kind of repeater (I mean that in the "I don't know what I'm talking about" sense)?

We have a D-Link-655 in our lab and I have never been able to get UMA to work with that either even though the signal is 99%. Any other pointers on why UMA may or may not work would be appreciated. I have already tried resetting some of the things like RTS threshold and beacon interval as recommended on many other posts.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #2
mckinneycm
Cisco Engineer

Model: 9700
PIN: 100001011001011000001100111011
Carrier: AT&T

If the router will do 'Wireless Bridging' then you should be OK. You'll have to check the documentation. But, to answer your question, yes you can as long as the router will support it.

www.coreymckinney.com
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
khosra

Wirelessly posted

Thanks mckinneycm. I didn't know that term. I will try it out. Seems like the WRT54G can do bridging whereas Dlink-655 can't.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM   #4
breakerfall
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: EAPPLE!
Carrier: VZW

I've had great success with a WRT54GL and DDWRT as a wireless repeater... not for UMA, but repeatin' is repeatin' right??

check here:
DD-WRT Tutorial 5: Wireless Repeater
Old 08-28-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
roboref

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-MOBILE
Default Set options to WI-FI preferred

Maybe this will help. My phone would see the network- TMOBILE-Ron but would not connect to it. It had been working but it reverted to the original setting of Mbile network preferred.

Go to options: Mobile Network then select wi-fi preferred, this will force it to use an available wi-fi network.

Also be sure you have run the Wi-fi setup wizard to log-in password and save settings and you should be good to go.
Old 09-07-2008, 01:30 AM   #6
khosra

In case it helps anyone else, I was able to get UMA working on my curve. Thanks for the tips.

My landlord has a Netgear WPN824v2 wireless router with mixed b/g and WPA TKIP on Comcast cable. I live in his basement, where my signal is very weak - my laptop barely works. I installed dd-wrt v24 micro on a Linksys WRT54G v6 in 'repeater' mode ('client bridge', 'repeater bridge' didn't work). Now I can use UMA fine. I am on a sub-lan. Call quality is great. I was very surprised, given my router is a 'neutered' one where only a scaled down dd-wrt works.

This T-Mobile UMA service is really great. Most of my calls at work and at home are through the Wifi.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #7
breakerfall
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: EAPPLE!
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by khosra View Post
In case it helps anyone else, I was able to get UMA working on my curve. Thanks for the tips.

My landlord has a Netgear WPN824v2 wireless router with mixed b/g and WPA TKIP on Comcast cable. I live in his basement, where my signal is very weak - my laptop barely works. I installed dd-wrt v24 micro on a Linksys WRT54G v6 in 'repeater' mode ('client bridge', 'repeater bridge' didn't work). Now I can use UMA fine. I am on a sub-lan. Call quality is great. I was very surprised, given my router is a 'neutered' one where only a scaled down dd-wrt works.

This T-Mobile UMA service is really great. Most of my calls at work and at home are through the Wifi.
glad to see dd-wrt worked out for you...
incidentally, a friend with an 8320 was over yesterday and she was able to use UMA over my setup as well...