Closed Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 12:51 AM   #1
owenmp

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default AT&T, No-Contract Service and BBs

Please Login to Remove!

Apologies in advance for the simple questions.

Is the only option of obtaining BB service on AT&T to purchase a BB and a 2-year contract?

If you already own a BB, can you obtain new AT&T BB service without having to purchase a new BB?

The AT&T Wireless Web site does not offer BB service unless you purchase a BB. The price for the unit is only the 2-year commitment cost. The no-commitment price is listed but it is not available as a purchase option on the Web site.

I frequently travel for business. I may have to move this year and I may have to travel overseas within a year. These are the reasons I would prefer to not have a 2-year contract.

If AT&T only permits BB use with 2-year contracts and no-commitment accounts only with basic phones, is there any advantage of purchasing an unlocked AT&T-specific BB?

I can understand having an unlocked AT&T-specific BB for use on another service, but from what I have read on the Internet, many of the BB's features are not available in this configuration.

I would ask these questions to AT&T Wireless but you must be a customer to be able to ask questions via e-mail.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:59 AM   #2
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

If you own a BB that is compatible with att service then you can go into a corporate location and establish service without a contract! They won't like to but the can and should! 1yr and 2yr are commitment prices if you get a new device to cover the subsidized cost
Old 07-01-2009, 12:03 PM   #3
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T

Here is what you do. Don't even tell them about your existing BB. Just go in, ask to see a free phone. See which one has the highest retail value. Buy it, get it activated, sign the contract, etc. Just don't have them assemble the phone. Put the SIM they give you in your 'Berry and use the website to add BlackBerry data. Sell the "free" phone for the full retail, which is usually about $300. If and when you do need out of the contract, buy yourself out. If you're a year in, it'll only be $115, which is far less than the retail prices of the "free" phones. Profit!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
BallHawk3
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Most if not all carriers will let you cancel your contract without paying ETF if you move out of country or move somewhere where the service is not available or provided.

You just have to show proof, that's either a utility bill, driver license, letter from work or military, mortage, etc etc.
Closed Thread