KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
Just provisioned a BB7250 with EVDO on verizon. Having MAJOR reboot issues, takes the 7250 about 45-60 minutes to reboot (spinning hour glass). However, now that it is back up and live I am getting 1xEV no problem. I had to call verizon and have them add the "EVDSB" feature line to my account, did a reboot (another hour) and I finally got rid on my DCR problem. SO far so good, we will see how it goes. The new handheld OS does NOT seem nearly as stable as the prior release.
I provisoned my 7250 with EVDO from the first day it was made available, at which point I also upgraded to the new software. Yes it took almost 30 minutes to reboot but I have very limited third party software ( Do you have a lot? ). However, my BB has been solid, no stability problems of any sort. Solid connections, no sound problems of any sort, no bluetooth issues, no rebooting on its own, so from my end I do not see how you can say it is less stable. I think some of those issues come from conflicting software if at all.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-31-2005, 09:24 AM   #362
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
I provisoned my 7250 with EVDO from the first day it was made available, at which point I also upgraded to the new software. Yes it took almost 30 minutes to reboot but I have very limited third party software ( Do you have a lot? ). However, my BB has been solid, no stability problems of any sort. Solid connections, no sound problems of any sort, no bluetooth issues, no rebooting on its own, so from my end I do not see how you can say it is less stable. I think some of those issues come from conflicting software if at all.
I provisioned as well on the first day. I have had no stability issues, but I have had infrequent DCRs.. However, I had them before (I live in a fringe area of every provider (had cingular, had 0 coverage, know someone who has tmobile, and they have almost 0 coverage)). Overall, I am quite pleased with the update. Truth be told though, I am more interested in the updates to the OS (like the new calculator) and am awaiting 4.1 to finally "hide" my sent items..

While EVDO is nice, it makes 0 difference for email (with respect to what I would consider "normal" use). It does make a nice difference when web surfing, the pages load very nice and it appears to load most pages faster than an 8700 I've played with at work (when we were BES activating it for someone).. BUT, I don't use the web enough to make it worth my while (except when waiting in the car with the sleeping kids, while my wife runs into "one" more store..
Old 12-31-2005, 10:06 AM   #363
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
. . . It does make a nice difference when web surfing, the pages load very nice and it appears to load most pages faster than an 8700 I've played with at work . . .
I had the opportunity to test an 8700 side by side with my 7250, and as far as speeds where concerned my 7250 was faster surfing the web. I cannot vouch that will be the same everywhere but the tests I conducted were in Wayne, NJ.

To me the surfing speed, the tethering option(though I seldom will use it, is nice to know its there), and the calculator improvements made the difference. I have to say that I used to get the connection denied errors albeit infrequently previous to the upgrade, and have never had them since. It seems to me that a lot of these errors and complaints that people have are more due to their location rather than the phone or the upgrade itself.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 12-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #364
JayEdwards
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

after dialing ##000000, should the 3 usernames be my phone number? 2 of them are but the EVDO line is not. it is a number that starts with 000
Old 12-31-2005, 05:38 PM   #365
deezmfnutz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonTiki
The 7250 I provisioned had about 6 third party software packages and is a heavy use device with massive call logs etc. The phone took about 60 minutes to reboot, I thought it was dead. After everything was provisioned and working it crashed and rebooted itself after 15 minutes of use. Since then (last night) it has worked without a crash. However, this morning there was ANOTHER problem. Overnight and this morning the unit was not getting any email delivered. The unit indicated 1XEV all caps with NO DCR indicator. So I sent a PIN from the 7250 and as soon as it sent out the PIN the handheld received about 20 emails all at once that were obviously qued and ready to roll. The unit for some reason did not seem to be registered on the network until the PIN was sent. Funny thing was that it was working just fine last night. Anyway, all is well right now...but I still standby my opinion that the new OS is not as stable. If I continue to have problems with the handheld I will probably roll it back to the previous OS which was rock solid.

As another note my personal use device is a 8700c unlocked on the tmobile network. Just for kicks I played around with the evdo 7250 head-to-head with the 8700 EDGE, and it is pretty clear that the EVDO network is MUCH faster than the EDGE network. However, the time to complete page draw was pretty similar, presumably because the 8700 has a much faster processor. Also everything was much quicker on the 8700, BBMessenger, composing email, switching between applications etc everything MUCH faster on the 8700. BBLocal also ran much faster on the 8700 eventhough the EDGE network is slower. The 8700 also rendered webpages much better, much more usable. Needless to say the 7250 owner has major 8700 envy right now. When the 8700 series drops on verizon we will have a true beast of a blackberry; EVDO on the 8700 will be sick.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:43 AM   #366
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530

Does anyone know if this EVDO feature makes browsing from the PHONE any faster? I am not using the phone for tethering. I simply want faster browsing from the PHONE. Will this upgrade offer improved browsing speed? Thanks.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #367
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jltx114
Does anyone know if this EVDO feature makes browsing from the PHONE any faster? I am not using the phone for tethering. I simply want faster browsing from the PHONE. Will this upgrade offer improved browsing speed? Thanks.
Yes, browsing will be much faster from the phone with EVDO enabled.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:15 AM   #368
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomryan
Yes, browsing will be much faster from the phone with EVDO enabled.
i just called verizon, they said EVDO would not make a difference in browsing from the phone. Only for tethering...

where did you get your information from?
Old 01-06-2006, 11:21 AM   #369
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
i just called verizon, they said EVDO would not make a difference in browsing from the phone. Only for tethering...

From using my evdo enabled 7250.. If you do a search (skim this thread), you will see that others have stated the same..

I particularly like how much faster Idokorro ssh is.. very nice indeed!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #370
BayshoreTommy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 317AF8EC
Thumbs up Worked without a hitch..

I installed the new software on my 7250 with Verizon, installed without a problem, dialed *22999 and it updated, resent the HRT and that worked.

If i pull up a web page on the phone now it flys! Havent tried it as a modem yet but I already have a VZW Broadband card, i mainly wanted this to test for my other blackberry users.

Good job Verizon!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:49 AM   #371
jltx114
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayshoreTommy
I installed the new software on my 7250 with Verizon, installed without a problem, dialed *22999 and it updated, resent the HRT and that worked.

If i pull up a web page on the phone now it flys! Havent tried it as a modem yet but I already have a VZW Broadband card, i mainly wanted this to test for my other blackberry users.

Good job Verizon!
Did you have to call verizon first to change your plan?
Old 01-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #372
tobenning
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Default Speed test

Quote:

Search for the speed test discussions. Mine went from 144K to 700+ K after the upgrade.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:02 AM   #373
bcoutlander

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

For those wondering about Sprint and EVDO:

I got the 7250 yesterday and when I activated it they had to put an evdo code onto my account. And while looking for software updates on the Sprint website I found an update to 4.0.2 for Blackberry. I am installing it right now but I won't be able to get to an area covered by EVDO until later this week. I hope this helps other Sprint folks.
Old 01-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #374
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

any information on the 4.1 update for consumers?
Old 01-12-2006, 06:13 PM   #375
99Vert
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7250
Carrier: Cingular

I preformed the upgrade and only had issue with "message services' missing, which i called verizon and they reinstalled it 4 me.

I didnt tell them about anything and my 1XEV appeared automatically(was there before I call them), so im assuming they had it on my features already...

-updated
I now have 'Data connection Refused' :(

Last edited by 99Vert; 01-12-2006 at 07:10 PM..
Old 01-15-2006, 03:40 PM   #376
semmel

Thanks for everyone for figuring this all out - I put the new software on yesterday using your instructions, and I had NO TROUBLE AT ALL

Just one thing for everyone to remember saying "Verizon told me that ...":

Since when do Verizon customer service peons (i.e. the lowest level of "defense") know anything?
Nothing against these poor people, but they just don't get half the information they need. I personally rather trust what people find out themselves right here in this forum than what the first customer service person tells me.

On the other hand, the guy in the store was right when he said that the BB 7250 did not support tethering (in it's original version) - I tried plenty...
New version does it just fine

Oh, on our account Broadband was already enabled, at least for my phone. Not sure if my rep in the store put in on when I talked about tethering while getting my phone...

So again thanks so much to everyone for your work!

BTW: My boss and his partner were very eager to find out how I did it, hehe... So I sent them a link to this thread
Old 01-15-2006, 10:40 PM   #377
spldr

Be easy on me! This is my first post and I am FAR from a blackberry expert..

I followed all these steps in order. Calling Verizon was easy, they asked no questions and flipped the switch for broadband and tethering.

Followed evrything else in order, all the expected happened and was corrected.

Brought up VZacess, it recognized the blackberry and went into Modem Mode, connected, then booted me for not having the correct password.

OK, I check the ##00000 option and it has not saved the vzw password. Enter it and save it again, get the dreaded DCR.

Snooped around, but made no changes.. now I have nothing, nada, not a tidbit in my host routing table.

Anyway to correct this with out calling verizon back?
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 PM   #378
KonTiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldr
Be easy on me! This is my first post and I am FAR from a blackberry expert..

I followed all these steps in order. Calling Verizon was easy, they asked no questions and flipped the switch for broadband and tethering.

Followed evrything else in order, all the expected happened and was corrected.

Brought up VZacess, it recognized the blackberry and went into Modem Mode, connected, then booted me for not having the correct password.

OK, I check the ##00000 option and it has not saved the vzw password. Enter it and save it again, get the dreaded DCR.

Snooped around, but made no changes.. now I have nothing, nada, not a tidbit in my host routing table.

Anyway to correct this with out calling verizon back?
Have you tried resending yourself the service books from Your BES account?

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-16-2006, 12:13 AM   #379
spldr

not on a bes. (If you are refering to an Enterprise Server)

Mine came from verizon about 5 mos. ago with 4.0. I just wanted it for personal email and remote surfing. It has worked fine for that.

Can you see what shade of green I am. LOL!
Old 01-16-2006, 01:33 PM   #380
spldr

Well, I did nothing but move out of the area I was in yesterday, and my HRT is full to the gills now.

I must have gone into an strong EVDO area and it dumped?

Before the dreaded DCR, I was bouncing from 1XEV to 1X, 1x and DCR.
Closed Thread