BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Fuze
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Explain It To Me Like A 6yr old LOL!

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I've been trying... reading all the posts and what not and thought I had it. Explain it tome like I'm a 6yr old please.

I have an 8320 and have the 2500 minutes plus data plan but I do not have the @home/international plan. I'm in the Navy and on deployment at the moment. We just left HK and I posted here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/wifi...hong-kong.html seeking help w/connecting to WIFI but have yet to get a response. Can someone please tell me if all I'm to do is go to my CONNECTIONS and enable WiFi, set-up WiFi network / Scan for Networks and select one of the available unsecure networks if available and be able to talk via Wi-Fi?? I tried this in HK and was unsuccesful. Every hotspot I found I was unable to connect to... while all my IPHONE buddies were able to lol! I laugh but this was very disappointing as they could see wi-fi networks that didn't show on my Curve. I did the battery pull and everything... nothing changed. They even took it and went thru the steps themselves. I'm not going to be staying in any hotels soon so most of my time I'll be touring the countries we visit and returning to the ship at night. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-01-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

you need the @home feature to talk via wifi but am not sure what the charges are to make calls from an international location if any.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Well, the @home feature is not required to use wifi/uma. I've had success in using wifi/uma overseas on open networks and I don't have the @home plan. Sometimes after connecting to the network you have to do the hotspot login. It's usually a registration page that you have to open with the hotspot browser. After connecting to the network there should be a button to launch the "hotspot login."
Old 07-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Fuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Well, the @home feature is not required to use wifi/uma. I've had success in using wifi/uma overseas on open networks and I don't have the @home plan. Sometimes after connecting to the network you have to do the hotspot login. It's usually a registration page that you have to open with the hotspot browser. After connecting to the network there should be a button to launch the "hotspot login."
Thanks for the responses. John, once I can get that far... I will try but I'm not able to even connect. I checked the diagnostics and the error I'm getting is that it's a weak signal which is odd since I'm physically in the lobby/seated in a restaurant.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
Fuze

Anybody else have suggestions? I'm in Korea today and about to try again.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:46 AM   #6
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

The wifi reception at times is a little disappointing. I was in a hotel room last week where I noticed the wifi router for that part of the hotel was in my room. I was only showing a 2 bar signal when I searched for networks. Of course the laptop was showing excellent signal.

One thing though. The original 8320 I had did not get as good a signal (wifi or cell) as the warranty replacement I received. So it can be a hardware problem.

Oh and back to basics, I found 4.2.2.184 to give the best UMA performance. 4.5 seems to be at least as good. If your OS is a bit older, that may be part of the problem.
Closed Thread