djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default More iPhone vs. BB

Please Login to Remove!

This one bets BB in the enterprise.

Bye-bye, BlackBerry? Not so fast | InfoWorld | Analysis | 2008-06-16 | By Tom Kaneshige
Old 06-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #2
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900

I love that article. Yes, the iPhone is 'cool', however, for a professional in the Technology Industry, the Blackberry is more practical.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Bla1ze
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: All!
PIN: PiMP
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Wirelessly posted

They both have finer points, breaks down the users needs in a device.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:28 PM   #4
RobM
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
PIN: 240721B8
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

I actually have them both and they both have pros and cons...from an email standpoint, the BB is hands down the winner...but I have seen some things coming to the Iphone that may level the paying field...and no I dont really care about the Iphone 3g
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #5
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

The touchscreen is the iPhone's best and worst feature, with regards to functional usability (best) and enterprise communications (worst). We're expecting an initial adoption surge of the iPhone 3G (which we have decided to support at some point sooner than later), but we think this well level off within 1-2 months of us allowing the device on the network.

Also, it seems that Apple's place in the enterprise still hasn't been given a traditional and full blessing by Mr. Jobs. Enterprise and Institutional reps at Apple still have their hands tied behind their backs when it comes to standard enterprise interaction. Until that attitude changes in Cupertino and enterprise reps are allowed to do business as normal (compared to RIM, Dell, etc), they will remain largely a consumer-based company who can hold on to their secrets and not venture too far into the enterprise market.

Last edited by jibi; 06-21-2008 at 07:46 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
jdoom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

the major flaw in my mind is that the iphone does not consolidate email accounts into a unified viewing box, like the blackberry. plus no voice dialing so driving and making calls is dangerous with iphone
simply fixes that would allow us non-corporate users to take advantage of iphone
Old 06-23-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Once the official release of the OS with mouse web cursing and youtube and its already ability to have true MMS, the BB will be hard to unseat. But it does come down to personal presence. I bought the iPhone just to check it out and it was cool for little bit, but once the "wow factor" wore off, and reality set in, it was back to the BB.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
Frank Castle
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9930
PIN: PM Me!
Carrier: VZW
Default time will tell .. but some fixes needed

I'm actually tired of all these articles when the majority are slanted about consumer adoption and not any hard logic around what enterprise uses and needs regarding mobility.

Users need to accept that work decices what devices they will support and deploy and realize their personal preference is for home use. If you don't think that is acurate how many of you are able to bring your own laptop into work and plug it in? (I'm talking 5,000 user+ environments)

No doubt as a technology advance, the iphone does some slick stuff. The MUI and web browsing are some of the slickest stuff I've seen and I see *alot* of devices.

Having to manage upwards to 3,000 mobile users and growing every quarter Apple is very lacking in many areas:

- Management of said device - dump the Itunes requirement and give me the ability to lock down options we don't want on. OTA activation would be helpful too.

- Reporting of device - we have for the past year been agressively auditing usage of mobile devices and have saved a large sum of money finding users who have not used for 15,30,60+ days. Mobility costs money.

- PBX voice intergration - single number dialing, one voice mail box is pretty slick once you've used it and voice is still a powerful communication point.

- Intranet accessiblity. Yeah Cisco support is nice for VPN (if you use it). BES via MDS makes extending your internal websites and applications much easier.

Apple needs a BES like appliance to compare, for now they are basically a better device then Windows Mobile but crippled with the spotty performance of ActiveSync "push". Maybe they should go buy Good off motorola as they are doing nothing with it.

Last edited by Frank Castle; 06-23-2008 at 07:59 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: 20FA40E8

BlackBerry makes the best enterprise device, but is not as much fun. iPhone is an extremely fun device ... easily 10000000x more fun than the BlackBerry. You know what? I could give a rats ass about the enterprise. Enterprise lays the groundwork for civilized life to happen. I don't care about the ground work ... I just care that its in place for the average joe. Just like ... I don't care about how the subway works ... just that I get my Filipino butt on the train and it moves. That ... is ... it.

iPhone 3G will win OVERALL because most people don't care about the enterprise, and would much rather have something fun. But there is no arguing BB is best for the hum drum guy that spends his entire life at work. Life is too short ... live it.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #10
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jletendre View Post
I'm actually tired of all these articles when the majority are slanted about consumer adoption and not any hard logic around what enterprise uses and needs regarding mobility.
You think people should care more about things slanted for the enterprise? Thats a crock. Most people out there could care less about being tied to their work ... they are consumers. They make a far greater slice of the electronics pie. So, all of these publishers are in the right writing all of these articles with a consumer adoption slant. THAT IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE CARE ABOUT. Write everything with an enterprise slant and you instantly lose the interest of a huge portion of your reader base. You will never see most of these authors do an about face and all of a sudden write everything about the enterprise in stead of the consumer. Only business publications do that.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:10 PM   #11
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Quote:
- Management of said device - dump the Itunes requirement and give me the ability to lock down options we don't want on. OTA activation would be helpful too.
They will be releasing a configuration utility that will allow you to manage some device-side policies. The configuration profile can be sent via email and installed by the end-user or support technician. Some EAS domain policies can be forced (password and timeout, for example).

Quote:
- Reporting of device - we have for the past year been agressively auditing usage of mobile devices and have saved a large sum of money finding users who have not used for 15,30,60+ days. Mobility costs money.
While it's not much, with Exchange 2003, I've been using a modified VBS script from Glen Scales. With Exchange 2007, this is a powershell command. This provides a list of any and all users with previously registered EAS users, although there is not much information (it has allowed me to audit our EAS deployment and remove orphan device associations and give me a basis by which I could disable users for EAS who had switched back to BB ...this was a LOT of users).

Glen's Exchange Dev Blog: Enumerating the devices registered via ActiveSync on all mailboxes on a server via a script

Quote:
- Intranet accessiblity. Yeah Cisco support is nice for VPN (if you use it). BES via MDS makes extending your internal websites and applications much easier.
I consider us lucky. Until RIM comes out with something better, the Safari browser is far and away miles better than the BlackBerry Browser (for the purposes you mention). Throw in RSA or some other multi-tier authentication mechanism and you have a fairly secure solution with the Cisco IPSec client...

Just my unbiased (for once) opinion...

Last edited by jibi; 06-23-2008 at 11:11 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #12
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoom View Post
the major flaw in my mind is that the iphone does not consolidate email accounts into a unified viewing box, like the blackberry. plus no voice dialing so driving and making calls is dangerous with iphone
simply fixes that would allow us non-corporate users to take advantage of iphone
iPhone has a first rate SDK that will allow developers to create high quality apps. Its a safe bet that the software base for iPhone will swell rapidly and it is naive to think that nobody will create a voice dialing app shortly after release.

Old 06-24-2008, 10:48 AM   #13
avelasqu
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
iPhone has a first rate SDK that will allow developers to create high quality apps. Its a safe bet that the software base for iPhone will swell rapidly and it is naive to think that nobody will create a voice dialing app shortly after release.
Correct, once they release the SDK and the developers get on track, the 3G iPhone will be a device that will grab many peoples attention. I just dont see RIM going anywhere. They made their huge splash with the Pearl even with the incarnation of the iPhone. In my circle of geeks, jocks, professionals and uber-nerds, it just seems that the iPhone is more trendy in oppose to Blackberry's stability, power and reputation. I am eager to see how the pendulum will swing here in the next few months.

"meron kang blackberry ngayon pero pag lumbas ang 3g iphone, kukuha kaba?
Old 06-25-2008, 12:11 AM   #14
styxgroupi
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
PIN: acle of love
Carrier: Alltel

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus
BlackBerry makes the best enterprise device, but is not as much fun. iPhone is an extremely fun device ... easily 10000000x more fun than the BlackBerry. You know what? I could give a rats ass about the enterprise. Enterprise lays the groundwork for civilized life to happen. I don't care about the ground work ... I just care that its in place for the average joe. Just like ... I don't care about how the subway works ... just that I get my Filipino butt on the train and it moves. That ... is ... it.

iPhone 3G will win OVERALL because most people don't care about the enterprise, and would much rather have something fun. But there is no arguing BB is best for the hum drum guy that spends his entire life at work. Life is too short ... live it.
Personally I have a BLAST with my Blackberry would never want iphone just all looks not enough function for me... oh and BTW I am a homemaker and D/J nothing hum drum about that!

Last edited by styxgroupi; 06-25-2008 at 12:12 AM..
Old 07-06-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
dragoro
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 247E8178
Carrier: att

Good luck usin an iphone outside in the winter too. I had to wait almost an hour at my bank to get the dang phone warm enough to use the touch screen. Never again.
Old 07-06-2008, 12:34 PM   #16
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragoro
Good luck usin an iphone outside in the winter too. I had to wait almost an hour at my bank to get the dang phone warm enough to use the touch screen. Never again.
I'm in arizona so I don't have that problem. I've been more and more frustrated with BB lately because of all of the BIS outages. I know they are all scheduled, but why should I have to keep up with an outage schedule? That's so stupid.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #17
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

I've been getting more and more frustrated with this thing lately. It seems like there have been more and more outages this is downright unreliable. Last nights outage was the THIRD time my device left me embarrassed. I go out a lot. Last night I was visiting some clubs in an area I have never been. Someone asked how to get somewhere and I was like ... "I got it." Sure enough google maps didn't work because BIS WAS DOWN!!! Only Opera mini worked because it can use a TCP connection instead of BIS. Nothing else worked! But you know what? All was saved by my friends Nokia on the exact same network who found it lickedy split! This has happened multiple times. The last time I got lost because I ASSUMED it would be working. Nope nope BIS was down as per the outages page. The AT&T data network is normally never down here. Its mainly BIS problems. I am starting to hate the unreliable BB network.

And before you start saying its my fault for not keeping up with the schedule outages, that is absolutely the dumbest thing in a modern device. I should not have to keep up with outages and this thing should be reliably up when needed. The bb network is sucking tiny peanut sized lizard balls lately.

Last edited by numetheus; 07-06-2008 at 12:44 PM..
Old 07-06-2008, 12:59 PM   #18
michael12005
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Tour
Carrier: Verizon

i phone will NEVER touch the BB for 3 simple reasons: 1) AT & T 2) AT & T and 3) AT & T!
Old 07-06-2008, 01:06 PM   #19
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael12005 View Post
i phone will NEVER touch the BB for 3 simple reasons: 1) AT & T 2) AT & T and 3) AT & T!
All carriers have issues. Verizon and AT&T around here are comparable. Only with AT&T I can A) Faster broadband for my laptop (EVDO is technologically slower than HSPA. Thats not opinion, that is technological fact.) and B) Get better phones. On Verizon you are limited to crap phones, and phones that are pretty much the same over all because THE WORLD HATES CDMA.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:23 PM   #20
ryrycalguy

Model: 8320

I've been thinking about the iPhone but I always get mixed reviews from people who have them. Sooo.....I don't know what I'll do in the next few weeks.
Closed Thread