Old 07-30-2007, 04:17 PM   #21
pulrang
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
I dont have VOIP at home but my neighbor does so what is the benefit of making calls on VOIP when you can simply make calls using the VOIP phone that the company provides. Am i missing something here.. i mean why use your BB when you can use the VOIP phone? excuse my ignorance....
I am getting it so I can get rid of my office phone altogether. That way I only have one contact number. Also, remember that calls made over the VOIP network are FREE (at least with tmo). Plus, the biggest complaint mobile users have is their reception at home and this solves that completely on top of getting those that held off on ditching their landlines off the fence due to minute usage concerns while at home.

...guess I gotta change my signature...
Old 07-30-2007, 04:23 PM   #22
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
I dont have VOIP at home but my neighbor does so what is the benefit of making calls on VOIP when you can simply make calls using the VOIP phone that the company provides. Am i missing something here.. i mean why use your BB when you can use the VOIP phone? excuse my ignorance....
Blackberries are mainly for Corporate America. Alot of companies have WiFi LANs and VoIP PBX's. With a WiFi Blackberry one could use the 8820 as an extension off the PBX and make and take calls from other co-workers and the office's local and long distance trunks and save $$$ on airtime. When the user leaves the coporate campus they would then be on the Cellular network and pay for airtime.

Dunno if the 8820 will allow VoIP like the 7270 but it would be a shame if it doesn't.

http://www.avaya.com/master-usa/en-u...vayabb7270.pdf
Old 07-30-2007, 05:40 PM   #23
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

I talked to a store rep in NYC today. I asked about the Curve on T-Mo and she said 2 months!!! Holy crap, no way I'm waiting that long! I was expecting to hear, "2 weeks, maybe 3 at the outside." But 2 friggin' months??!!
Old 07-30-2007, 09:07 PM   #24
vakulm
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ROGERS

excuse me being blunt
I think the main reason rim is working on rolling out wifi is cuz every phone on the freaking earth which is suppose to have all bells and whistles have a wifi, its kinda like due for them to roll out - hence they are rolling it out

Many companies have not moved to voip networks - voip technology is still relatively young for big corporations to move to it. I work for one of big 4s and we are slowly phasing into voip but we are still in testing and testing phase

that being said, i only see value for wifi is for causal browsing, downloading apps - for actual push email i would rather that get data which is available everywhere

hey, not sying i wouldn't want wifi, but i dont see much value other than points i mentioned
Old 07-31-2007, 05:33 AM   #25
Jo5329
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Tour
PIN: No Thanks
Carrier: Verizon

Perfect Storm -- thank you for your response above about the 8820 WiFi. I'm considering going from the 8870g I now have to the 8820, but wasn't sure if it was going to be a better move or not. You answered vakulm's question and mine too!

Thanks again!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM   #26
jetspeedz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: ATT

thanks for the response guys, I work for a big corp as well and we have wifi in certain buildings and locations however VOIP is not widely used and everyone has a regular land line or voip phone or cell or BB if your important/special...
Old 07-31-2007, 04:35 PM   #27
TreyS
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550
Carrier: VZW
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakulm View Post
excuse me being blunt
I think the main reason rim is working on rolling out wifi is cuz every phone on the freaking earth which is suppose to have all bells and whistles have a wifi, its kinda like due for them to roll out - hence they are rolling it out

Many companies have not moved to voip networks - voip technology is still relatively young for big corporations to move to it. I work for one of big 4s and we are slowly phasing into voip but we are still in testing and testing phase

that being said, i only see value for wifi is for causal browsing, downloading apps - for actual push email i would rather that get data which is available everywhere

hey, not sying i wouldn't want wifi, but i dont see much value other than points i mentioned
Honestly, IMO the bigger the company the more money and the harder it is to move to a VoIP solution or any new technology. You're in the top 4 (whatever that means) so you are feeling that slow and lathargic move in technology. I used to work for ADP (huge) and getting them to adopt anything new was a major undertaking...I left because of it.

Many many companies use a VoIP PBX. The big three PBX vendors stopped making traditional TDM PBXs five or so years ago. IP-PBXs (VoIP) are the norm these days. Go to a PBX convention and you'll see what I mean. ;)

The 7270 was RIM's WiFi/ VoIP/ SIP solution many years ago and it worked well. It would only make sense for them to adapt that to the new devices. Granted cellular carriers are known to cripple devices if they think they will loose money...it's a sad fact.

Too bad RIM doesn't sell unbranded devices, then we would have the freedom to do what we want.

I also have a T-Mo Wing (WiFi) and it had VoIP disabled. I turned it back on and it is connected to my PBX's SIP server at my office. I can make and receive office calls to and from it just like my desk phone. The extension is the same. All calls are free....

I know I'm not the only one out there doing this stuff and wanting these features.

RIM needs to get in the game. VoWiFi is moving along in corporate america.

Per gartner: Metric: One-third of US, Europe to use VoIP, wVoIP by 2009 - FierceWireless - Wireless Industry, Wireless Technology News, Wireless Security News

Last edited by TreyS; 07-31-2007 at 04:37 PM..
Closed Thread