Old 02-20-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
ronag
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Curve
Carrier: Rogers
Default 7790 Next logical step???

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone !

I've got a 7780, and now that I have a voice plan on my bb, I wanted to get one with bluetooth, but the 71xx is too "phone like", and I love the big screen of the 77xx model. With the recent launch of the 7290, I'm hoping that a 7790 is next! (or at least the next logical step)

That being said, I haven't used a 72xx series model, and was wondering if anyone has used both both lines in the recent enough past to make a comment about the screen. From the pictures, it looks like a "widescreen format" BlackBerry (because of the extra icon width on the home screen) It would be an expensive experiment to just buy it and try it, and I'm unsure if there will be any real difference in with regards to email & browsing. The widescreen will have more info on less lines, but unless the total surface area of the screen is smaller, it should net out to the same per "display page"

If I remember correctly, when I bought the 7780, it was only slightly taller than the 7280, so I don't think it will be a size thing.

Also, I'm not that worried about the screen and backlight because like anything else, each subsequent model has improvements, so I would expect the screen of the 7290 to be better than the 7780 (just as it was with the 7280!), and if there is ever a 7790, it should improve on the current crop of displays...

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:22 PM   #2
arconsulting
Thumbs Must Hurt

I've used both and prefer the taller screen (i.e. 77xx). The device is only marginally larger.

FYI, I'm also waiting for a 7790.
BlackBerry consulting and development (RIM SI Partner)
Old 02-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
T-Roy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
Carrier: Darth Vader

That form factor are not the most popular... I'm not sure we'll see much of those in the future. More likely would be a 7100-style device for CDMA/iDEN networks, or even moving forward a 3G/EDGE 7200 form factor.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

I would find it interesting if a dual-mode Sprint/Nextel phone came out in a few years.

I would hope it would support EVDO, iDEN and Nextel's PTT.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by arconsulting
I've used both and prefer the taller screen (i.e. 77xx). The device is only marginally larger.

FYI, I'm also waiting for a 7790.
A friend of mine is visually impaired and loves his jumbo BBerry from Sprint. The smaller devices don't let him see as much because he has to keep his fonts cranked up.
Old 07-23-2005, 06:13 AM   #6
EPIC_TRUTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronag
Hi Everyone !

I've got a 7780, and now that I have a voice plan on my bb, I wanted to get one with bluetooth, but the 71xx is too "phone like", and I love the big screen of the 77xx model. With the recent launch of the 7290, I'm hoping that a 7790 is next! (or at least the next logical step)

That being said, I haven't used a 72xx series model, and was wondering if anyone has used both both lines in the recent enough past to make a comment about the screen. From the pictures, it looks like a "widescreen format" BlackBerry (because of the extra icon width on the home screen) It would be an expensive experiment to just buy it and try it, and I'm unsure if there will be any real difference in with regards to email & browsing. The widescreen will have more info on less lines, but unless the total surface area of the screen is smaller, it should net out to the same per "display page"

If I remember correctly, when I bought the 7780, it was only slightly taller than the 7280, so I don't think it will be a size thing.

Also, I'm not that worried about the screen and backlight because like anything else, each subsequent model has improvements, so I would expect the screen of the 7290 to be better than the 7780 (just as it was with the 7280!), and if there is ever a 7790, it should improve on the current crop of displays...

Thanks in advance.

I have the 6230, borrowed the 7100T for an extensive period of time, and borrowed 7730 as well (which was my favorite of the 3 even with it's poor screen resolution). I hope tmo does come out with the "7790" (assuming the nominclature remains the same...) as I know of a lot of visually impaired people who would be very happy (why phone manufacturers can't get a clue for larger fonts that are adjustable for all phones is beyond my comprehesion).
Old 07-23-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
finch
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: N/A
Carrier: N/A

Here's to hoping with the rest of you... I moved to a 7290 from a 7780 the additional RAM is nice but i rarely use the BT and miss the larger screen of the 77xx. I found the 67xx/77xx to be the "ToughBerry" as well of the fleet. By no means am I knocking the 72xx form (thoght I'm on my third) but looks to be the route RIM will use going forward even more so now that a CDMA chipset has been scaled to fit the 7250.
Closed Thread