BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 02:36 AM   #1
LearBB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Default 7290 features, frequency switching etc.

Please Login to Remove!

bb tech and other 7290 gurus,
We are exploring giving all of our pilots BBs. Some of them spend most of their time outside the country, ie. Taiwan, China, Europe. Will there be any issues of having to manually switch from freq. to freq. ie. 800/850 to 900 or will it be automatic?
Besides BT and 32MB, is there any other advantages to the 7290 over the 7780 (currently testing the 7780, kind of big)? We will be on ATTWS and hope that the 7290 will be available soon.
Also, in testing out this 7780 I noticed some ?bugs?. I am new so this might be stupid. When entering contact info in the PIM the Zip code field is not automatically locked on numeric (ie. you have to hold the alt key while typing the numbers, what a pain). Also, why can't the "cursor" scroll all the way through the home screen to the last app and then skip to the first one? Currently I have to scroll back the other direction. It is silly but I noticed it right away wished it would. In the future when more apps are available this may be helpful.
I just got this thing Fri. and can't put it down. It is really cool.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Tom
Admin & Founder

Model: 9800
PIN: UnDisclosed
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: 7290 features, frequency switching etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearBB
bb tech and other 7290 gurus,
We are exploring giving all of our pilots BBs. Some of them spend most of their time outside the country, ie. Taiwan, China, Europe. Will there be any issues of having to manually switch from freq. to freq. ie. 800/850 to 900 or will it be automatic?
Besides BT and 32MB, is there any other advantages to the 7290 over the 7780 (currently testing the 7780, kind of big)? We will be on ATTWS and hope that the 7290 will be available soon.
Also, in testing out this 7780 I noticed some ?bugs?. I am new so this might be stupid. When entering contact info in the PIM the Zip code field is not automatically locked on numeric (ie. you have to hold the alt key while typing the numbers, what a pain). Also, why can't the "cursor" scroll all the way through the home screen to the last app and then skip to the first one? Currently I have to scroll back the other direction. It is silly but I noticed it right away wished it would. In the future when more apps are available this may be helpful.
I just got this thing Fri. and can't put it down. It is really cool.
Thanks in advance.
Switching of frequencies is fully automatic, im just curious which service provider will provide you with full roaming capabilities without charing you an arm and a leg.

As for the ZIP code thing, you have to understand that us Canadians (where the BB was created, and still is) have zip codes containing letters as well as numbers.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:08 AM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I believe UK zip codes also have letters too.

Many Americans keep Canadian addresses and UK addresses in the Blackberry addressbook too, so most people do not want the zip code field locked. (Perhaps some application-level intelligence would be good -- lock to numbers whenever Country equals "USA")
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 09-02-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
LearBB

Thanks for the good info. I am just another short sighted American. It's good see how other countries do things.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
diverse

Model: 8800
Carrier: tm

Yep our "Post Codes" as we call them are made up of letters and numbers.

London is based on which part

E1
N1
W1
SE1

Others are one or two letters, one or two numbers (depending on the size of town) and then one number and two letters.

The beginning part eg, CR3 relates to a particular town, the last three a group of buildings on a particular road.

Have a look at www.royalmail.com if you are interested (or not!)
Old 01-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #6
diverse

Model: 8800
Carrier: tm

I have used the 7230, 7710t and 7290, the latter has a air of extra quality (maybee it's the real metal surrounding the screen?

Apart from the charging issues (not charging to 100%) it works in Europe and the US and frequency changeover was seemless and the battery lasts forever!
Old 02-10-2005, 01:24 AM   #7
septuagint

Model: 7290
Default oh canada

Hmm, I've used a rim 957 for years and years, and just upgraded to a 7100t, I never knew they were made in canada. Wow, hockey AND blackberries, I love canada!

:D

-cube
Closed Thread