Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
sleitner

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TMobile
Default Speaker Help...please

Please Login to Remove!

My brother gave me his 6 month old Blackberry Pearl 8100 on TMobile because he had to move to AT&T and got a Curve. Only one problem, the speaker only works on speakerphone. So I can make a call and take a call and everything else, but it has to be on speakerphone to hear the other person.

I used javaloader to completely wipe the phone clean, down to the 507 error on boot. I reloaded everything from scratch...thinking this was a software problem because to my knowledge (and a couple videos on YouTube)...there is only one speaker, and if it works on speakerphone and not on regular settings...must be software related...well you follow me. It didnt work.

I am desperate for advice on this as I would love to make this my new phone. Unfortunately, with the move to AT&T before fixing this, I think he has voided his warranty.

Any help would be celebrated! Thank you!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
TechieGal

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

You definitely did all of the troubleshooting to qualify for an exchange, however the warranty WOULD be void since he is no longer with T-Mobile. My suggestion would be, see if you can add equipment protection on to the account, and then file a claim through asurion. Sure it's a $110 deductible, but cheaper than buying another pearl! Just keep in mind, you can only add equipment protection if you are within 14 days of purchase, exchange, or upgrade with a T-Mobile phone, but then it will cover any phone used on your line, tmobile or not.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:47 AM   #3
2Curious
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMo USA
Default Speaker

We had exact same problem with my bf's 8100. I'll try to search this forum for info on exactly what we did, it's been a while.
You search too, and we'lll are who finds it first.

Basically, using the great dissassembly photos on the sticky, we carefully opened up the phone, to get to the speaker. Turned out it had just come loose. Been fine ever since.

It was a little scary taking the pearl apart, and one piece took a bit of prying, made me nervous as heck. But once it popped, rest was easy.

Sorry I can't remember the exact steps, but all you need is here on BBF, promise.

Just search for the thread on this, and print out the dissassembly pictures.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 PM   #4
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 12:13 PM..
Old 08-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
2Curious
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: TMo USA
Default 8100 Mic Fix

Found the old thread.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...tml#post428385

Just follow the disassembly photos in the sticky.

SanFran just added to the disassembly sticky a perfect picture of the motherboard speaker contacts, and instructions!
Now everything anyone wanted to know about taking apart an 8100, including pictures, and a youtube video is there for the reading!
(Thanks BBF!)

Good Luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited by 2Curious; 08-18-2007 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: SanFran and BBF rock!
Closed Thread