CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9xxx
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chansopheak View Post
Hey Jason, hope you can help me out..

under the Software tab, it lists: V4.5.0.81 (Platform 2.7.0.78) for the Blackberry 8310 Smartphone

i've tried rebooting both the pc and bb...deleted the vendor file...using DM 4.6 and obviously ran the new OS...everything i open DM, i received no prompt for upgrade...i've followed the exact same steps as OP...i first plugged in the Curve, waited until the pc sees the phone, and then open DM...its checks for application and then nothing happens, i just see main menu...PLEASE HELP...thank you

right now, i'm on V4.2.2.170 (Platform 2.5.0.30)
Check one more time and make sure the Vendor XML file is deleted. If the DM still doesn't prompt you to update then do this--> First preform a back up. Then Plug in device>Open DM> Apploader>Add/Remove> and step your way thru to the finish. It will upgrade to 4.5. Post back if you have any other questions.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #242
gqsmuv
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Hey Jason, I was the one who was actually trying to help Chansopheak out, she's a friend of mine...

well, i tried going through the apploader and updating manually but basically didn't know where or how to look for the new OS (dont know location of file)...i'm assuming i have to hit Browse and find it somewhere right?

as for myself, i actually updated my Curve with V4.5.0.55 using DM 4.5...now i dont know if it changes anything but the one for my friend was V4.5.0.81 and DM 4.6...that would probably be my last resort to try out if whatever you suggest doesnt work

vendor was definitely deleted and checked several times...i've also ran the OS again, and then went ahead and deleted vendor file...rebooted and repeated steps...

thanks agian...
Old 11-06-2008, 12:47 PM   #243
kiseki_o_o

Model: 8310
Carrier: -

I'm new to BB.
My current 8310 is now 4.2.2 with BES and I'm thinking about upgrading to 4.5-4.6.
What I want to know is, is it safe to upgrade?
I mean, is upgrading like wiping the handheld? All the data and BES activation.
Is upgrading to the new OS makes me need to do the enterprise activation again to get connected to the BB server?
Old 11-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #244
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Yes, its safe. Yes you'll have to reactivate on your BES.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:38 PM   #245
egruber
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130

I noticed that some YouTube videos crash while loading or playing in the Media Player and then the BB automatically reboots. Any way to fix this? A setting, perhaps? Thanks!
Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 AM   #246
wjereb
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T - BES

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

Yes, its safe. Yes you'll have to reactivate on your BES.
I dragged my feet on upgrading. I really liked the Surreal theme and I knew it wouldn't work with 4.5. I was also hesitant to upgrade but I decided to do it. I had my BES Admin set me up with an activation password before I left the office on Friday and I then began the upgrade this morning. It went very smooth. Took maybe 30 mins and then another 5-10 for the BES activation. Love the HTML email! The only problem I had so far was that I tried to put a JPG file as my wallpaper and it locked up. It was a large file and maybe that was the reason? Other smaller JPG files worked

Thanks to all the contibutors to this thread. You'ere were a big help!

BJ
Old 11-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #247
xKryptonian

Question

Im on V 4.2.2170 and just downloaded the new update. But when I plug in the desktop manager doesn't do anything.

There was no vendor.xml file to delete either.

Suggestions?

Edit: never mind. after a reboot all is working and the update is underway.

Last edited by xKryptonian; 11-08-2008 at 01:21 PM..
Old 11-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #248
John Clark
BBF Moderator

There is always a vendor.xml file to delete.

Look in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. It's possible that your file extensions (.xml) are hidden. After you delete the vendor file, plug in and run DM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #249
Vinish

I have had my BB 8310 for only a couple months. My service provider is AT&T. It is a company paid for phone but my employer has a very weak IT department even though they are a large company. When I got the phone, I tried to set it up to handle my email and failed. I also tried to get my Microsoft Outlook on my laptop set up to access my email and failed. I spoke with my IT department and they told me that they do NOT use a Blackberry Enterprise Server but they do use some sort of centralized server system that takes the place of the BES. Sorry for my ignorance but does this make any sense?

I work from my home more than 5 hours from my employer's HQ near Chicago. I happened to be at the HQ and went in to the small IT group and asked for help. They took my laptop and BB 8310 and told me to come back in an hour. I did so and - Voila - Whatever animal sacrifices, magic spells, and arcane rituals the IT guys performed worked and I could get email on my BB and on my laptop.

Today, I upgraded to the latest version of BB software. My reason for doing so was to allow the device to "see" all 8 gB of the Micro SD card which I have. Under the previous OS version, 4.2.2.170, it could only "see" 4 gB. I did this to allow more memory space for pictures and mainly music. My plan was to stop carrying my MP3 player once I got ~6-8 gB of music onto my BB.

I followed the upgrade process in this thread exactly. However, during the upgrade to version 4.6 of the Desktop Manager software, I was asked to select from one of two choices. I think they were BES and something else. Because of my IT person telling me they did not use a BES, I chose the "something else" option. At the end of the upgrade process, the desktop manager software went back to the standard screen. However, my BB 8310 was left in some sort of email/registration/setup screens. Since I had already had my IT dudes set up my email, I cancelled out of this registration process.

Now I can not send or receive email. When I try to "get/send" email, I get an error which reads, "Could not retrieve messages for account: 1234556" (I chose to not list my actual account number here). When I click the details button, it says, "HWPMessaging.get NumUnreadMessages: URL not created RetrieveThread.run()"

Can anyone help diagnose my problem and recommend a solution? I suspect that I have to re-register my email account. Can I do this or do my IT dudes have to do it? If I can do it, can you tell me how or link me to instructions for this? Lastly, should my Desktop Manager be set up as the "BES" or the "something else" option? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish
Old 11-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #250
tallboyonafatboy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Curve

Quick and stupid question: I currently have v.4.5.0.55 on my 8310. If I uprade to v.4.5.0.81 what is the benefit? Is multi-language the only additon to the newer version, and if so, and I don't see me using multi language, should I just stick with the .55 version?
Old 11-08-2008, 11:35 PM   #251
John Clark
BBF Moderator

There are many bug fixes between .55 and .81. The included languages have nothing to do with it. Each carrier releases OS's with different language packs depending on what languages there customers need.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #252
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Ok, first let me say I feel like a total dufus. And att tech dept. doesn't know a bb from a hole in the ground. I found out from my att store rep, who owns a bb (thanks Cari) that the problem is my PHONE, not my software. So att sent me a new one. This one worked fine, until I tried to just tweak one little file. Then the whole thing crashed and burned. The dm would not recognize my pin, therefore, no files were transferred. I only had a cute little icon in a sea of white light. It looked like dm with a circle and line through it. Needless to say, back to Cari I went. And lo and behold, they had never seen this before. So now I am waiting on my THIRD bb 8310. I asked them to upgrade me to a bold. She said warranty dept. won't have them for 3 months. If this curve is a lemon, I will be a crabby grandma to those in att customer support. In their favor, they did not balk, not once, for sending me a new curve only two days after the first one came. I didn't even have time to send the first one back. So thanks for all your help, sorry I know so little about bb. I may have been able figure it out that it was the
phone.

Last edited by kgambino; 11-09-2008 at 06:12 PM..
Old 11-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #253
John Clark
BBF Moderator

The "cute little icon in a sea of white light" only means the device is ready to accept a new OS. 30 minutes loading a new OS and the device would have been good as new.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #254
kgambino
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
The "cute little icon in a sea of white light" only means the device is ready to accept a new OS. 30 minutes loading a new OS and the device would have been good as new.
Swell, so now I am without my bb for another day for nuthin!. The problem is, the dm would say loading successful, but there it was, as plain as day. In the left-hand corner of dm where the pin should be, it said "none". Is that normal? How can my bb accept a new OS if the pin number is not recogized? I'm so thankful for this forum. For those of us are bb-knowledge impaired it is a gift from God. Thanks, John

Last edited by kgambino; 11-09-2008 at 07:16 PM..
Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM   #255
williams17

Model: n/a

I'm running this OS now and don't like it. My 8310 locks up at least once a day. I hate that!! I loaded the OS with my memory stick in it. Would that have made a difference? The only thing I wanted over my original version was the video camera feature and I've only used it once. Plan on using it more, just not yet.

Would it be benifitial if I were to reload this new OS? If so, how do I reload if it's already on there??
thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 AM   #256
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Williams17, read this:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...t-reboots.html
Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #257
Mmagot

Carrier: ATT

once i download it what do i do afterwards. Im sorry just got my blackberry yesterday and dont want to mess it up
Old 11-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #258
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Instructions are in the first post. Just follow them.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #259
jon44212

Carrier: ATT
Default Downloading 4.5 os on 8310

I am new to this site, but I have an Blackberry 8310 from AT&T and I understand that they are not releasing the latest 4.5 os. I have seen where other people have downloaded 4.5 verisons from other carriers. Question where can I download it from? what site or carrier?

Thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #260
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Its all in the first post.
Closed Thread