Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
So says a true fanboi
Of what? I've yet to see anyone prove otherwise.

RIM has enterprise integration, IT policy enforcement, and security in their pocket. This appeals to large organizations that require unformity within their establishment and easy administration & monitoring by their IT dept.

Apple has been pretty clear that they are very not interested in being the cutting edge of enterprise integration their schtick is multimedia and "coolness" which sells to the general public in great numbers. And yes, I know you can sync iPhone up with Exchange with ActiveSync but honestly it is NO WHERE close what a BES is capable of doing.

The Droid is the closest thing I've seen to being capable of doing both if only Google would build and support the infrastructure for enterprise & personal use.

Personally, I could see myself going to the Android platform in the future if Google were to offer an infrastructure similar to what RIM is capable of doing with their BIS.

So yes, I'm a fanboi where it counts.

Last edited by Robert_K; 02-04-2010 at 05:03 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #122
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
Of what? I've yet to see anyone prove otherwise.

RIM has enterprise integration, IT policy enforcement, and security in their pocket. This appeals to large organizations that require unformity within their establishment and easy administration & monitoring by their IT dept.

Apple has been pretty clear that they are very not interested in being the cutting edge of enterprise integration their schtick is multimedia and "coolness" which sells to the general public in great numbers. And yes, I know you can sync iPhone up with Exchange with ActiveSync but honestly it is NO WHERE close what a BES is capable of doing.

The Droid is the closest thing I've seen to being capable of doing both if only Google would build and support the infrastructure for enterprise & personal use.

Personally, I could see myself going to the Android platform in the future if Google were to offer an infrastructure similar to what RIM is capable of doing with their BIS.

So yes, I'm a fanboi where it counts.
I'm not disputing you characterization of the BB, but what you had to say about the other platforms. When people use words like "teens playing with useless apps" and "Twenty-Somethings who want to play with apps" I ceased regarding their comments as constructive, but rants of a fanboi. Not every business needs the security of BB. They are and will seek other options if they fit their needs.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #123
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Best laugh of the day - thanks Argon - calling someone else a fanboi.
I needed that at the end of a long day.

Resume your swordfight. I'm sure there's an app for that.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:53 PM   #124
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Best laugh of the day - thanks Argon - calling someone else a fanboi.
I needed that at the end of a long day.

Resume your swordfight. I'm sure there's an app for that.
I'm not as much as a fanboi as you may think. I like everything. I even picked up the 9700 last month.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:33 AM   #125
ubizmo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9780
PIN: ultimate
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I'm not disputing you characterization of the BB, but what you had to say about the other platforms. When people use words like "teens playing with useless apps" and "Twenty-Somethings who want to play with apps" I ceased regarding their comments as constructive, but rants of a fanboi. Not every business needs the security of BB. They are and will seek other options if they fit their needs.
Very good point. It never fails that when someone is critical of the BB as a mainstream consumer device, someone like Robert_K will chime in and say that the BB is all about business, and so such comparisons miss the point. But it's he who misses the point that RIM has taken BB out of the "strictly business" niche and promoted it as a consumer device. When they did that, it became not only fair but expected to compare it to other consumer devices. If you go to the North American Blackberry web page right now and look at it, how would you say the BB is being presented? As an ultra-secure business tool?

Experience Your Music On Your BlackBerry Smartphone

Now let's see, would that be a "multimedia and coolness" kind of splash? I believe so. Is it aimed at people like Robert_K, in their corporate prisons with all the "multimedia and coolness" locked down? I think not.

Hit the "Smartphones" tab and scroll to the bottom. They are promoting three features: Theme Creation, Joining the BB Community, and Presentations, in that order. Well...theme creation is all about coolness! And arguably so is the BB Community. But I'll give Robert_K one out of three on that page: The Presentations item is business-oriented.

Hit the "Software" tab and look at the splash image of available software. How much of it is strictly business? I'll give you the Stock Manager, and there are a couple I don't recognize. But...Pandora, Slacker, iHeartRadio, are prominently displayed media apps, and most of the rest are general use apps of the sort used by anyone, not just corporate types.

The telltale point here is that when someone says something positive about the BB's multimedia or coolness factors, we don't see people like Robert_K rushing in to remind them that the BB is all about business and such praise is uncalled for.

Like it or not, RIM has put the BB squarely out there in the consumer market, and is in competition with the iPhone and Android phones. You can be sure that a lot of thought went into how to present those web pages, and the TV ads, and so on.

What's especially obnoxious is that Robert_K isn't satisfied offering this threadbare "strictly business" defense of the BB, but also feels compelled to resort to stereotypes, as if anyone not in a corporate office using a locked-down BB is immature. You know, the BB is very far from a sinking ship, but if anyone can sink it...

Ubizmo
Old 02-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #126
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Well said.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:22 AM   #127
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

User replaceable battery.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #128
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
User replaceable battery.
That was one of the biggest selling points for me. Thinking that I'd have to ship my phone off to get my battery replaced was too much work, it's what started making me look at BlackBerry. The more I looked into it, the more I found it was the device for me.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #129
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

This whole discussion reminded me of a quote from Admiral Halsey in WW2:

"I am retreating towards the enemy . . ."

RIM ain't sinking and neither is Apple.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #130
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

If either companies last as long as this thread their respective founders will be wealthy men. No wait, already happened.
Old 02-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #131
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Wait. Let me get this straight,

RIM is a sinking ship because people want the iphone?
Surprise to you? The iphone's biggest competition for being a smartphone is the Blackberry, and now that the iphone does a lot of what the blackberry does, along with all of the convenient apps, the iphone is becoming more popular. Keep in mind, marketing has a lot to do with the business. How many more Apple commercials do you see than Blackberry commercials? Yes, Blackberry did enter the touchscreen market, but they still have yet to perfect it. Sadly, for now, blackberry is struggling to keep up. I sure hope Blackberry doesnt go away though...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #132
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Surprise to you? The iphone's biggest competition for being a smartphone is the Blackberry, and now that the iphone does a lot of what the blackberry does, along with all of the convenient apps, the iphone is becoming more popular. Keep in mind, marketing has a lot to do with the business. How many more Apple commercials do you see than Blackberry commercials? Yes, Blackberry did enter the touchscreen market, but they still have yet to perfect it. Sadly, for now, blackberry is struggling to keep up. I sure hope Blackberry doesnt go away though...
Hope to keep up? Look at this:

Apple iPhone was 3rd best selling smartphone in 2009 with 14.4% Market Share | A4AAPL

Apple was 3rd in sales behind Nokia and RIM in 2009. Wait, how can you keep up if you're ahead?
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM   #133
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post

Apple iPhone was 3rd best selling smartphone in 2009 with 14.4% Market Share | A4AAPL

Apple was 3rd in sales behind Nokia and RIM in 2009. Wait, how can you keep up if you're ahead?
Reality has nothing to do with a mind brainwashed by a good marketing department. Sorta like the global warming thing.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:02 PM   #134
Noodle22

I feel with the iphone, people think it's the hottest thing just because of the commercials, instead of assessing their needs and finding the device that solutions those needs.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #135
jsconyers

I'm not taking anything away from the iPhone. I think it is a nice device, it just isn't the device for me right now. Apple markets it well and people buy it. But to say it is the end-all, be-all of BlackBerry devices is just ludicrous.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #136
unclefester
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post

Touch screen market. Blackberry has yet to catch up in th touch screen market. Yes, the storm2 was a major improvement over the storm 1, but it still has only a small fraction of the touchscreen market, which is where blackberry is trying to compete, and therefore have to catch up to the current top-selling touchscreen devices
Old 02-09-2010, 04:18 PM   #137
jsconyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclefester View Post
Touch screen market. Blackberry has yet to catch up in th touch screen market. Yes, the storm2 was a major improvement over the storm 1, but it still has only a small fraction of the touchscreen market, which is where blackberry is trying to compete, and therefore have to catch up to the current top-selling touchscreen devices
You didn't state that in your first post. RIM has 2 touchscreen devices the Storm and the Storm 2. Apple has 3 iPhones, the iPhone, the iPhone 3G and the iPhone 3Gs. Whilst RIM is trying to compete in the touchscreen market, it is not their only target. They have released plenty of non-touchscreen devices since the Storm such as the Tour, 9700, 8520, 8530, the Tour 2 is to be released soon. So, while I do see where you are trying to come from, you need to keep trying to "keep up".

RIM makes many different device models, not everyone likes touchscreen, some prefer touchscreen, some like flip phones. RIM tries to meet the expectations of more than just one group as they have a model for each of those categories.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #138
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Reality is that the iPhone is competing with all the other touch screens from LG and the rest of the also runs. Now if you want to talk about crap mention LG. My wife and kids for some reason like them. The average life is about 14 months before I fork $ 50 to Verizon for a replacement phone. Over marketed crap.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:43 PM   #139
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle22 View Post
I feel with the iphone, people think it's the hottest thing just because of the commercials, instead of assessing their needs and finding the device that solutions those needs.
That is why most carriers let you return the device if your not happy with it.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM   #140
Noodle22

15 days and 30 minutes of usage is not enough time to fully assess a phone, that's what I feel. That's the policy with most companies here.

A lot of my friends have iphones, and it's great for them. They love it. I'm happy for them. I do believe most of them bought it because the others had it. We had a girls night, and I was the only girl without an iphone. My best friend said to me that she likes her phone because it makes her feel cool.

I'm just stating from firsthand experience, what I am seeing.
Closed Thread