Old 01-25-2010, 08:38 AM   #101
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (well lookie here!)

Yes the BlackBerry is the best smartphone ever. That's why you're here today. But this was an interesting piece of statistics we just got sent. By the general look of it one could assume that the BlackBerry is doing a lot better than the Android and the lousy iPhone. That general assumption is correct. According to Myxer, the BlackBerry dominiates over all as RIM devices are getting the highest amounts of visits to their website over Windows, Palm, Android, iPhone, and Symbian. Also to get even more specific, the BlackBerry Curve is remains to be the #1 phone on Myxer’s mobile site for the second year in a row, making it even closer to 10% of visits in both 2008 and 2009. Continue reading for the full press release from Myxer.

PRESS RELEASE:

Deerfield Beach, FL (January 22, 2010) – Google’s Android platform may be gaining significant traction with consumers, but Blackberry still leads the way according to a new report by Myxer. The monthly report entitled BoomBox, makes its debut today, providing data on mobile entertainment consumption and trends reflective of Myxer’s 30 million member-strong community.

According to research conducted, visits to Myxer’s mobile site from users on the Android operating system grew 350% in 2009, compared to iPhone, which grew 170%. In total, Myxer delivered seven times more downloads to Android devices than iPhone devices in Q4 2009.

“While we’ve seen the Android OS emerge as a serious competitor in the operating system landscape, RIM’s operating system still dominates the smartphone market on Myxer’s mobile site, growing from 51% in 2008 to a massive 67% in 2009,” said Myk Willis, CEO of Myxer.

BoomBox is also reporting on specific growth of various Android handsets as it relates to consuming mobile entertainment on the Myxer network. In December ‘08 only one handset, the HTC Dream/G1, was operating on Google’s open source Android operating system. By December 2009, Myxer had seen nine different handsets running the Android OS.

The HTC Dream/G1 remained the leader throughout 2009 garnering 35% of the unique users completing downloads on Android handsets in December.
The HTC myTouch, Motorola CLIQ, and Motorola Droid each gained significant traction by the end of the year, used by 18%, 11%, and 7% (respectively) of total unique Android users on Myxer.

Willis added, “Our aim with this report is to provide a valuable resource for those making business decisions regarding mobile advertising, content, and application development. Plus, as strong proponents of an open mobile ecosystem, our data will reveal interesting insights into both closed and open environments and the surprising usage patterns within each.”

Other notable items tracked in this month’s BoomBox report include:

RIM’s Blackberry Curve remains the #1 phone on Myxer’s mobile site for the second year in a row, garnering close to 10% of visits in both 2008 and 2009. The Blackberry Curve is just one of the 1,500 different handsets that Myxer delivered content to in 2009.
Windows Mobile and Palm both lost ground in 2009, combining to relinquish 24% of the smartphone traffic on Myxer’s mobile site and giving ground to the Android, iPhone, and RIM.
Hip-Hop/R&B content dominates as a music genre; accounting for 77% of Android downloads and 47% of iPhone downloads.

Since 2005 Myxer has cataloged various data points: age, gender, geographic location, phone model, manufacturer, carrier, as well as the operating system of each handset that initiated a download from its delivery platform that now supports more than six million monthly unique visitors downloading over 85 million content items from Myxer each month.

-by Otoniel Bruno
Old 01-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #102
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

This thread has more holes in it than an Iraqi submarine...
Old 01-25-2010, 07:01 PM   #103
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunkHead View Post
This thread has more holes in it than an Iraqi submarine...
Maybe you should sprinkle some holy water on it.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:57 PM   #104
gdbjr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: 30886771

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post

Guess what, go check some sales figures, devices sold, # of users, etc., and get back to us.
I am pretty sure sales figures are not the way to measure success of a device. Just because my company buys a BB and makes me use it, doesn't mean I want it, like it or think it is any good. If it was up to me I wouldn't use it. It is the same way they force that microsoft crap down my throat. Why don't you take a survey of people who's company makes them carry a bb can see how many of them actually like it. Then you can get back to us.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:17 AM   #105
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

gdbjr, haha, you do that.

Too many others already collect the sales figures. I'll go with the proven data.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:35 AM   #106
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdbjr View Post
I am pretty sure sales figures are not the way to measure success of a device.
What planet do you come from?

Last edited by penguin3107; 01-26-2010 at 08:27 AM..
Old 01-26-2010, 07:17 AM   #107
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
I am pretty sure sales figures are not the way to measure success of a device. Just because my company buys a BB and makes me use it, doesn't mean I want it, like it or think it is any good. If it was up to me I wouldn't use it. It is the same way they force that microsoft crap down my throat. Why don't you take a survey of people who's company makes them carry a bb can see how many of them actually like it. Then you can get back to us.
My company buys me a bb. I like it. One for, zero against. Hey, it's a start.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #108
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
I am pretty sure sales figures are not the way to measure success of a device.
Hmm, I thought sales figures did measure success. The better your sales figures are, the more successful you are...

Also, there is a reason that companies (like yours) choose BlackBerry devices. I don't think they really care if you like it or not, but care more about that it does what they want it to do to help you do what you're supposed to be doing. If there was another product out there that did that as well or better than the BlackBerry, I am sure they would move to that product.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 01-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #109
TBOLTRAM
BlackBerry Genius

Model: 5S
PIN: & Teller

All is lost the ipad was announced today. All is lost. All is lost.

Not.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #110
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM View Post
All is lost the ipad was announced today. All is lost. All is lost.

Not.
Yup. All I saw was an iPod Touch that won't fit in your pocket. The kindel doesn't seem to be in any danger either, 10 hours battery life. I just can't read that fast :(

Last edited by hrbuckley; 01-27-2010 at 10:45 PM..
Old 01-27-2010, 11:00 PM   #111
YanivMeyer

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

As a "cool" device, there is no question the iPhone fits the label. I have several issues with it.

1.) Battery life blows (Not that my Bold original battery was much better but at least I had the option to add the larger battery)
2.) Integration into a corporate network is not as slick as with the BB. I can only say this because I have owned both and when comparing, I had a lot of fun with the iPhone. It could not trump the bold when it came to being a work horse.
3.) Harder to type while driving with the iPhone. ;) J/K
Old 01-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #112
The_conductor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: 313D86F5
Carrier: Sprint

Well i like the ipad and I swear if the iphone ever comes to sprint me and rim is done
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 AM   #113
ifonline
Magic Bananas

Model: iP4S

I'm not sold on the iPad, even as a huge fan of Apple products. But since it's not available for another 90 days (3G version), I have time to think about it. In any case (get it or not), it won't be something to replace my 9700. I am looking for a device to supplement it. Heck, I may just get an iPhone to use as a small "tablet." I'm still waiting on HP's slate device as well before taking the plunge.

Semper Fi 3/2/2
"Wow" is now overused. Therefore, I will use "Magic bananas" instead.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #114
Noodle22
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8520
Carrier: Rogers

The pricing for the service fee's for the Ipad are great though, 29.99 for unl data per month. I noticed a lot of comments from people that are trying already to figure out a way past those charges.

It's not something I need or care for at this point in my life.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #115
Snapski

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

The IPhone has been out since 2007 - one would think that if it was going to cause a "Titanic" situation for RIM then it would have surely happened by now.

If anything, BlackBerry in encroaching on Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Apple etc's market share in the consumer market. The amount of young'uns running around with BB's these days is unprecidented.
Old 01-28-2010, 11:44 AM   #116
fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: TBayTEL

They are geared towards a different client based. The typical business professional doesn't care about videos, games, and mp3's. They want security, push email, and the awesome Exchange integration that you simply cannot get with an iPhone.

Where spoiled people in their 20's who think its cool to be able to play need for speed on a cell phone would go for the iphone.

Its not that its a sinking ship, they are catering to different markets.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #117
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fratts View Post
They are geared towards a different client based. The typical business professional doesn't care about videos, games, and mp3's. They want security, push email, and the awesome Exchange integration that you simply cannot get with an iPhone.
I see this statement a lot and it's simply NOT true. The iphone has better Exchange integration out of the box, integration that BB users CAN NOT get unless their company is running BES or paying extra for some 3rd party Active Sync solution. Please stop with this FUD when you don't know what you are talking about.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #118
gadgetfanatic
No longer Registered.

Model: iFon4
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgonNJ View Post
I see this statement a lot and it's simply NOT true. The iphone has better Exchange integration out of the box, integration that BB users CAN NOT get unless their company is running BES or paying extra for some 3rd party Active Sync solution. Please stop with this FUD when you don't know what you are talking about.
AGREE. I had BB's for 3 years using BIS and what made me switch to the iphone was how it syncs with out Exchange server. I functions like a BB on BES right out da box!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #119
Robert_K
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830

This thread makes me chuckle. Especially the stuff said about security.. which on the iPhone is a joke (ever heard of FIPS compliance?) and as far as "multimedia and coolness" is concerned.. I don't know where you work but in MOST corporate computing environments, including mine, have all the "multimedia and coolness" locked down. Also, in my corporate environment, Exchange synchronization is a big deal and not one of my peers would tolerate constant glitches.

This pretty much sums it up:

BlackBerry = Adults doing Business

iPhone = Teens playing with useless apps / Adults playing Texas Holdem'

Droid = Twenty-Somethings who want to play with apps but want reliable access to their gmail.

Windows Mobile = Sluggish Bloatware.

Palm = Goodbye.

Last edited by Robert_K; 02-04-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Old 02-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #120
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_K View Post
This thread makes me chuckle. Especially the stuff said about security.. which on the iPhone is a joke (ever heard of FIPS compliance?) and as far as "multimedia and coolness" is concerned.. I don't know where you work but in MOST corporate computing environments, including mine, have all the "multimedia and coolness" locked down. Also, in my corporate environment, Exchange synchronization is a big deal and not one of my peers would tolerate constant glitches.

This pretty much sums it up:

BlackBerry = Adults doing Business

iPhone = Teens playing with useless apps / Adults playing Texas Holdem'

Droid = Twenty-Somethings who want to play with apps but want reliable access to their gmail.

Windows Mobile = Sluggish Bloatware.

Palm = Goodbye.
So says a true fanboi
Closed Thread