BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
Aspyred

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Can a Mobile Internet Plan substitute for a lack of a BB plan?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys,

I just got a Blackberry 8800 from eBay, waiting for it to be shipped over to me, and really only wanted it for texting on the QWERTY keyboard. Looking over the Rogers plans, I see its $20 Communicate Pack includes a $5 Rogers Mobile Internet plan.

Now, I'm not planning to sign up for a Blackberry plan by any means, just a simple voice plan, but I'm wondering if I can leverage the QWERTY keyboard toward e-mail without a Blackberry plan in addition to SMS.

Rogers' website states its Mobile Internet Plan includes:
  • Sending and receiving e-mail from your Yahoo!® or Windows Live™ Mail accounts
  • Chatting using Yahoo!® Messenger, Windows Live™ Messenger, Lavalife® and more
Mobile internet websurfing I am extremely not interested in, but chatting using MSN or sending e-mail to and fro the cellphone would be awesome. Has anyone ever tried this?

I'm just wondering how the e-mail system works. I mean, it's not push e-mail, right? You log on and check your e-mail as is? Would attachments and pictures included in the e-mails or what other kinds of potential limitations may I be missing here?

But also, in regards to chatting using this plan over MSN Live Messenger, wouldn't this be the same as using SMS on any given cellphone plan? If this is different, how so is it?

Thanks guys, I'm just curious as to what this Internet plan entails. As always, your advice is much appreciated. : )
Old 10-27-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (8800: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Welcome to the BBForums.
Your BlackBerry is not just another cellphone, as you are learning. You will need a BlackBerry Data Plan to get push email, full internet and data usage. Otherwise your BlackBerry will be crippled to many applications.
Check the FAQ "What do I need a Data Plan for?"
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Main_Page
Good luck.
Closed Thread