tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b354f
Carrier: AT&T
Default Question Regarding Clearing Automatic Wireless Backup Data

Please Login to Remove!

BES 4.0

If I clear automatic wireless backup data for a user from the BES, how long does it take the BES to begin creating new wireless backup data for the user, such as user settings and bookmarks?

Regarding phone call logs, when the BES begins creating wireless backup data for this user, does it only begin backing up phone call logs from that point on, or does it go back and back up all phone call logs stored on the handheld?

Thanks ya'll. I would ask my RIM contact first, but I have better results from asking here first. I can't tell you how many times I've asked RIM a question they have been unable to answer only to find the answer here from the true experts.

Thanks,

TG
Old 10-10-2006, 09:41 AM   #2
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Question

I guess this was a tougher question than I had originally thought...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Okay. I broke down and asked RIM. Here's there response. Not exactly what I was asking, but it helps a little I guess.

All handheld call logs are backed up indefinitely. This problem has been solved with v4.0.2 device code and later by leveraging the "Keep Messages For" setting on the device to prune old call logs.

In v4.0.2 device software and above, phone logs are auto-throttled and follow the "Keep Messages For" settings in "Messages" - "Options" instead of growing out of control.

Assuming that the device has 4.0.2 code or later, you would need to do the following:

1. Click on "Messages" icon
2. Click the track wheel and choose "Options"
3. Click "General Options"
4. Go to the "Keep Messages" option and choose "15 Days"

BlackBerry device data that the BlackBerry Enterprise Server does not back up wirelessly:
messages - messages that were received on the BlackBerry device before the specified prepopulation date, not marked as saved, located in folders not set for redirection, or that have message filters assigned to prevent redirection to the BlackBerry device
content store - saved images and ring tones
service books - all service books
group addresses - group addresses that users create on the BlackBerry device are stored locally; they are not synchronized
RMS databases - third-party Java applications that developers created in Java ME
Java applications - Java applications (that developers created in the BlackBerry Java Development Environment) that you send to BlackBerry devices wirelessly
Enterprise Messenger - the Enterprise Messenger that you send to BlackBerry devices wirelessly
BlackBerry MDS Studio Applications - BlackBerry MDS Studio Applications that you push to BlackBerry devices wirelessly
Old 10-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgray
All handheld call logs are backed up indefinitely. This problem has been solved with v4.0.2 device code and later by leveraging the "Keep Messages For" setting on the device to prune old call logs.

In v4.0.2 device software and above, phone logs are auto-throttled and follow the "Keep Messages For" settings in "Messages" - "Options" instead of growing out of control.

Assuming that the device has 4.0.2 code or later, you would need to do the following:

1. Click on "Messages" icon
2. Click the track wheel and choose "Options"
3. Click "General Options"
4. Go to the "Keep Messages" option and choose "15 Days"
From my experience these settings don't work. Regardless what I have it set to the call logs are still kept forever.

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Closed Thread