tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: 243b354f
Carrier: AT&T
Default Setting Up Individual Notifications for Specific Users

Please Login to Remove!

Explanation

I am probably the last BlackBerry user in the world to figure this out, but we were playing around the other day and figured out how to set individual notifications for specific users without the use of 3rd party applications. It's not the easiest process, but heck, it works and its kinda fun. My apologizes if this is already posted somewhere out there.

As info, I'm using a Cingular BlackBerry 8100 running OS4.2.1.66 so it may require 4.2.

I also like using custom voice ringers for individual users or message types. For example, if I get an email from "Kristie", it my BlackBerry announces "Kristie". If I get an SMS message from "Twitter", my BlackBerry announces "Twitter". If I get an BlackBerry Messenger message, my BlackBerry announces, "BlackBerry Messenger". Etc.

I created my individual WAV ringtones using AT&T's Text-To-Speech website, but I'm sure there are other options available.

How I Dun It
  1. Go into BlackBerry Profiles and create a new custom profile (I'm naming this one Kristie).
  2. Change the Messages, Level 1 Messages, MMS, Phone and SMS notifications for this profile to the custom ringers you would like for this person. I think the items need to match what is listed in the user's contacts, so things like Messenger Alerts and Tasks don't matter for individual users.
  3. Once all of your ringer settings are set for your custom profile, save the changes. You should now be back to your Profiles list and will now see your custom profile listed there with the standard ones. We aren't done here yet, though, so don't go anywhere.
  4. Now wheel click and select New Exception.
  5. Title the exception whatever you want (of course, I'm calling this one Kristie).
  6. In the FROM line, click the trackwheel or trackball and select the user from your address book. They should now show in your From line.
  7. Scroll down and change the Use Profile option from Active Profile to your newly created custom group.
  8. I always remove the check box from "Custom Phone Tune" because I don't really use them.
  9. Save the changes.
  10. null

That's all there is to it. Now if I get an email or SMS from Kristie, it will say Kristie's name (if that is indeed her real name)! It is not the most simple process, but once you do it a time or two, it will get easier.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:09 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Cool, can you get your ringtone that says "Kristie" for when my office calls me? That would make my wife really curious...
Old 05-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hmmm. You have a good point. My wife is already suspicious enough. It probably doesn't help that the voice I chose on the AT&T Text-to-Speech website is the Audrey UK voice (I have a crush on Audrey, whoever she is). Perhaps I should change it to say "Bill" or "Steve".
Old 05-31-2007, 12:18 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

ohh, i am heading to check out Audrey. I am a sucker for a British accent.

EDIT: Oh wow, first I have seen of that website before, I love it.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-31-2007 at 12:20 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 PM   #5
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have also been able to view the site from my BlackBerry Browser too. So I just choose the voice, type in the phrase, and click Download to pull it down to the device.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:51 PM   #6
tgray
Thumbs Must Hurt

One addition I noticed. When I switch between primary profiles to, say, Vibrate, the exceptions are still in place. You would need to remove the check boxes for the exceptions in order to have the primary theme completely control all alerts.
Closed Thread