BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:33 PM   #1
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: ASU eliboM-T
Default BlackBerry 9700 Mobile Internet Failure: The specified port is not open.

Please Login to Remove!

Hey guys, I've been running into some trouble for the past few days. I've been able to use mobile internet on Desktop Manager (I think it's Desktop Software now for 6) 6 and 5.0.1 since I've had my 9700 on T-Mobile. Now, out of the blue (no new software installed) I can not use mobile internet. Before, my BB would say Modem Mode Enabled where T-Mobile used to be in the top bar; now when I click it, nothing happens on the BB, and this is what I get:

I even tried it with DM 5.0.1 (off T-Mobile's site):

In both apps, I have the configuration set to the default T-Mobile US profile, and it was working for so long! :( I'm running this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (from walmart). I've tried disabling both Symantec Endpoint Protection and the Windows Firewall itself, but apparently the port is still not open. PLEASE HELP ME!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BB6.png
Views:	7134
Size:	386.6 KB
ID:	18754   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB5.png
Views:	5676
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	18755  
Old 09-19-2010, 03:09 PM   #2
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Reguardless of before, carriers are finding more things people are doing without a specific service plan such as tethering( modem use) and either blocking as the warning message states or adding the add on. Unless you do not see a modem port in the hardware/ports listed in windows you may have to add the modem port or remove and reload the modem software for the BB. Windows 7 Ultimate( i also have) is a bit flaky with some applications.
The new DM 6 requires an internet connection every time it loads or will not complete. I think RIM found a way to satisfy carriers in validating every option people are using on their BB's I know ATT and Verizon love the additional $$$
Old 09-19-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah, but T-Mobile has free tethering. It worked 3 days ago! >:(
Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #4
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

This warning means that there is a problem with the (virtual) serial port modem. go into device manager to make sure that RIM virtual modem is listed under modems.

See attached screen shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	888
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	18756  
Old 09-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
somerandomguy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicrockstar469 View Post
Yeah, but T-Mobile has free tethering. It worked 3 days ago! >:(
I don't know that it's free, but i do enjoy not being charged (so far) for all the tethering that i have done.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:35 AM   #6
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra

I had a similar problem. After several upgrades of Desktop Manager, the com port that DM assumed was the BB modem was actually not the right virtual port on my machine. I could determine this by going to Manage Computer, and looking in the Ports category, and observing the virtual Blackberry ports. If I created a modem using one of the other ports besides teh one that DM tried to use, I eventually found the one that wroked. But in the end, I found the most reliable solution was to uninstall DM, then come back to the manage ports window and explicitly remove each of the ports. Then, when I reinstalled DM, everything worked again.

You say yours worked 3 days ago. Can you think of any software changes you might have made that would have modified the way the ports were set up from then to now? Otherwise, you might give my suggestion a go, and specifically keep track of when it might stop working again, and what happened right before the ports were shifted...
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #7
blahewett

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: telcel
Default same problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicrockstar469 View Post
Hey guys, I've been running into some trouble for the past few days. I've been able to use mobile internet on Desktop Manager (I think it's Desktop Software now for 6) 6 and 5.0.1 since I've had my 9700 on T-Mobile. Now, out of the blue (no new software installed) I can not use mobile internet. Before, my BB would say Modem Mode Enabled where T-Mobile used to be in the top bar; now when I click it, nothing happens on the BB, and this is what I get:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...1&d=1284924277
I even tried it with DM 5.0.1 (off T-Mobile's site):
http://www.blackberryforums.com/atta...1&d=1284924445
In both apps, I have the configuration set to the default T-Mobile US profile, and it was working for so long! :( I'm running this on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (from walmart). I've tried disabling both Symantec Endpoint Protection and the Windows Firewall itself, but apparently the port is still not open. PLEASE HELP ME!
i have the same problem, since i updated from vista to win 7 several months ago i have been unable to connect using BB as modem, i always get the same error, i have tried the port trick, and any other idea, i have read many theads form many forums in many languages, i swear.... i have tried DM 5 and the new 6.xxx but no luck, when i try my BB9700 with my other PC running win XP it works fine and fast but with my HP laptop's WIN 7 just won´t work.

i'm desesperated right now, i don't know what to do, i beg for help.

what's wrong with my laptop? or my Bold II.....what is the point i'm missing?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
dynamicrockstar469
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sorry I never got back to this thread. I just entered my T-Mobile username and password and it decided to work. However, this thread is now obsolete because T-Mobile decided to participate in the communal screwing of the consumer base by charging for tethering (starting November 3). In fact, the only thing keeping me on T-Mobile and away from AT&T was the free tethering. Now that that's gone, I'm gonna be on AT&T as soon as my contract is up. Also, no, I will not pay $50 for Tether (at least not yet).
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Closed Thread