BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
davidlw
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default iPhone had better have one heck of a 3G unit!

Please Login to Remove!

Well iPhone had better be one heck of a phone. I cannot imagine leaving BB for a iPhone after seeing the official release of the Bold. The "Bold", is a solid winner and will be very hard to beat for serious business users. I left the iPhone for BB because it just cannot compete with BB in the Business world at this time. Now BB has form and function in one beautiful package. Way to go RIM!!!!!!!!!! Now if I can just get into my wife's piggy bank.

Last edited by davidlw; 05-12-2008 at 12:48 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 12:26 AM   #2
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

i honestly cant see another of business going to the iphone anytime soon... for many reasons... 1. IT has no control over the device like IT policies for the berry (as far as i know) 2. the lack of keyboard, i'm sorry but no matter what any one says the lack of keyboard slows you down. 3. the lack of push email and enterprise connectivity....

i could be wrong about the above but i have played with a few iphones and i'm sorry i'm no fan (i'm not just saying that because i have a BB) i'm normally one to have the most up to date and "best" phone, but the iphone, yuck...

now the 9000 series, i mean, DAMN! now this is a device that has it all! i think once i have the 9000 series i will have it for a long time!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:35 AM   #3
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

The new firmware for the iphone (with ActiveSync support) and 3G will most likely sway some users to it. I was thinking about it but the lack of a keyboard is sort of a deal breaker when it comes to daily business routines.

After this announcement and seeing the Bold, I'm all for it. I think it's going to be a little hard going from a Curve to a Bold, but that screen and 3G has me convinced now!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #4
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Activesync isnt push, but that is ok. The security and the BES are the real reason BB is the number one corporate device. until anything even comes close to that, BB isnt going anywhere. And oh yeah, congrats to me on 1000 days with BBF

Last edited by Sith_Apprentice; 05-12-2008 at 12:37 AM..
Old 05-12-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
Cory Scheuer
No longer Registered.

Model: 8900
Carrier: None

yahhhh sithy!!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:53 AM   #6
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re

I get so tired of people bringing up the iPhone when talking about the BB9000. They are two totally different devices targetted towards two totally different demographics.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:01 AM   #7
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atuarre View Post
I get so tired of people bringing up the iPhone when talking about the BB9000. They are two totally different devices targetted towards two totally different demographics.

Let just hope that RIM can convice ATT of that and ATT is pressured in releasing the 9000 sooner rather than later!
Old 05-12-2008, 08:08 AM   #8
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (what does it matter?)

Att has no problem releasing. Rim has to make it available
Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice View Post
Activesync isnt push, but that is ok.
Well, the correct term is "Exchange ActiveSync" right? And that is what allows 'push' email on PPC devices. I've also heard people say "ActiveSync over Exchange".

Direct from Microsoft's website... "Exchange ActiveSync offers Direct Push Technology, enabling a seamless push e-mail experience for compatible devices."

No worries though...it's all good
Old 05-12-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

It says it is but requires the WinMo device to constantly look for updates. Load up a WinMo treo with Activesync and watch your battery life go down. The mobile device does as much work as the end server.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #11
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
It says it is but requires the WinMo device to constantly look for updates. Load up a WinMo treo with Activesync and watch your battery life go down. The mobile device does as much work as the end server.
Oh, I completely agree with you on that. I've had Treo's and other PPC's and, yes, turn on Exchange ActiveSync and watch the batter life plummet.

My original post made reference to the iphone getting Exchange ActiveSync support. Well, I left off the 'Exchange' part. You corrected me and said that ActiveSync was not push.

I was just defending my myself and saying that I was correct in my OP. I just said that I think some users will switch to the iphone because of the coolness factor but, in my opinion, it still can't touch the BlackBerry.

I have a customer who is the head of IT and uses an iphone where everyone else is on BB. I can't understand why he's still on an iphone.... I have an iphone and rarely use it. My BB is with me at all times
Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

ah, no harm no foul. Technically MSFT positions it as push but its a far cry from what the BB uses. I was not stating as fact that it wasnt push, just that it shouldnt be called that. You were correct in what you said however.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #13
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Agreed. By the way, love the killer rabbit.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:33 AM   #14
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

The rabbit scares me. . . . . . .
Old 05-12-2008, 09:46 AM   #15
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Has anyone gotten the reference yet?
Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:

This is not how ActiveSync works. A connection is established between the device and the Exchange Server. This connection is held open, but no data is transmitted between the device and server if no changes are made on the mailbox. If a new email comes into the server, the server will notify the device that a sync is neccessary. The device will then retrieve the changes over the connection. By default, every 15 minutes (if no syncs have been made), the connection gets reestablished.

We have blackberry, windows mobile, and we participate in the iphone beta program at my company. Couple of things I noticed in our environment....

1. The blackberry and iPhone are far more popular than WM devices.
2. Migrating corporate apps to the iPhone blows away anything the blackberry can do. Not sure though yet how we will be able to distribute these apps to our users. WM is obviously very strong for development also.
3. Users here that just want email prefer blackberry over anything else.

My personal thoughts.....
1. Typing on the iPhone is faster for me than typing on my curve.
2. The 9000 looks great, but it will be hard giving up my 3.5 inch screen.
3. I will not be able to resist getting a 3g iPhone and the Blackberry Bold.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:09 AM   #17
squarepants
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

It wouldn't be the Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog would it? YouTube - Holy Grail - Killer Bunny
Old 05-12-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
joec
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: att
Default Iphone Screen size vs Bold

Many Iphone users are criticizing the Bold for its smaller screen size without ever actually seeing it in person. BB users are primarily email centric users and as such any disadvantage in the Blackberry’s smaller screen size is far offset by its more efficient handling of email. (Who wants to watch a movie on a 3 inch screen anyway)

I chucked the Iphone after trying to use it for 3 months as a business tool. It just did not work for me. Clearly the email function was an after thought with music and web browsing the primary features of the device. On the Iphone I always had to use two hands to read mail, deleting mail was a pain , and on the email directory the grey letters on a white background was just horrible. To make matters worse, the email alert tone is so short and low in volume I rarely knew when I received an important email.

The Bold looks terrific and should have no trouble trumping the iphone for business use.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:52 AM   #19
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

I see that screen on the Bold and the first thing I think of is how much more of an email I should be able to see on it. The thought of graphics, pictures, media, etc. is secondary :-p
Old 05-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joec View Post
Many Iphone users are criticizing the Bold for its smaller screen size without ever actually seeing it in person. BB users are primarily email centric users and as such any disadvantage in the Blackberry’s smaller screen size is far offset by its more efficient handling of email. (Who wants to watch a movie on a 3 inch screen anyway)

I chucked the Iphone after trying to use it for 3 months as a business tool. It just did not work for me. Clearly the email function was an after thought with music and web browsing the primary features of the device. On the Iphone I always had to use two hands to read mail, deleting mail was a pain , and on the email directory the grey letters on a white background was just horrible. To make matters worse, the email alert tone is so short and low in volume I rarely knew when I received an important email.

The Bold looks terrific and should have no trouble trumping the iphone for business use.
Actually its a 3.5 inch screen and I use it all the time on my morning train ride. The larger screen also makes web browsing on the iPhone so much better than the blackberry. You are right though, alerts are way to low. Deleting multiple emails is a pain (will be fixed on next firmware upgrade).

I know Im in the minority, but I prefer the iPhone keyboard to the blackberry. However, you do need two hands. I still love my blackberry.
Closed Thread