Old 06-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #121
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgeiger2006 View Post
Gah! The beeping! This is what I get for trying to be fancy schmancy online. If I switch out the sound file to an older version and try to double click on the loader.exe thing it just cycles through and tells me nothing needs to be updated.

If I remove all BB OS files from my computer and download an older version to try and install an older version the same thing happens. It won't install anything on my phone.

On a good note the beeping is getting less frequent I think...
Try DM. Once it says no new updates, click next, then it should see the new file and load properly. Keep trying though, definitely worth the time.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #122
Bigbmc26

Model: 8320
Carrier: at&t

Does this ROM unlock the GPS for use with Google Maps on the Verizon 8330?
Old 06-30-2009, 10:05 AM   #123
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

No that restriction is set on VZW's side

Follow me on Twitter
Old 06-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #124
bbpearlflint
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T of Guinness please
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kccman View Post
I did however have a problem with Calendar, which I doubt is related to the Hybrid OS. Instead of my calendar working with my default email addy it made a calander call Default....lol. As it turns out I Synced my Device Calendar with all my Outlook calendar. Deleted the Calendar on my device. Set my primary email as the default email. Then Synced the Device with all the Outlook calendar entries and everything is back to normal.
I have this problem too, but I'm not about to try to sync my calendar with outlook, that is a nightmare that I don't think I would want to tackle!!

What I was thinking was to try using the hybrid option that others have used, but I thought I'd turn to the experts for an opinion poll first. Anyone think this is a bad idea? My thinking is that if I can pull the calendar file from a previous upgrade (any suggestions would help), that I might be able to avoid this new "default" calendar.

Now that I'm thinking about it, can anyone remember an upgrade that didn't have the "multiple email" calendars? Any thoughts on that too?

I need to update my wife's phone and my buddy's, but I thought I'd be the nice guy and mess with my phone first...

My other thought was to simply remove the calendar file from the most recent OS and hope that the restoring of the calendar would fix it (it was a stretch but, hey nothing ventured, nothing gained. And besides, it gives the people at Verizon CS someone else to talk to, thus justifying the position. Just helping the economy work!!)

Last edited by bbpearlflint; 06-30-2009 at 08:25 PM..
Old 07-01-2009, 09:39 PM   #125
SteveO86

I'd just do a manual backup.. Run the update.. and then just restore the original backup if it isn't correct..

I've rarely ran into OS upgrade issues.. (Although with this one I did have to do a manual restore.)

You default calendar can be changed by going to Options -> Advanced Options -> Default Services, and change the CICAL entry to the email address you want.

Hope I got all your questions if not post back.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-02-2009, 10:45 AM   #126
bbpearlflint
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

Changing the default calendar didn't work. Unfortunately, neither did my hybrid attempt. No matter what happened, it still placed all of my previous entries into this newly created "default calendar", which doesn't place things on the home screen. Kind of a pain in the a$$, but not much I can do about it. I tried syncing with outlook, but I think that's a whole other issue there! So far, I'm having good luch with this new OS, so I can deal with whatever comes.
Old 07-06-2009, 01:07 PM   #127
S4Gasm

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

is there a way to download the OS upgrade for my verizon 8330 even though I have a mac not a pc? Sorry if this question is a repost.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #128
WDCulbertson
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Default E-mail setting after this installation

I installed this OS just yesterday, and found that my E-mail settings don't have all the options I used to have before. I upgraded from the VZW version .77 to this in hopes of a little bit better capabilities. I did find that my HTML option in my mail settings is no longer there. I really enjoyed that feature for receiving, rather that everything being displayed in plain text.

Also, it seems when I pull my phone out of its holster, it automatically reverts to the phone log. Is there any way to have it default to the main screen instead?

Just a couple small irritants, but some things I got used to.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 PM   #129
rtprime

PIN: 307E5E09

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDCulbertson View Post
Also, it seems when I pull my phone out of its holster, it automatically reverts to the phone log. Is there any way to have it default to the main screen instead?

Just a couple small irritants, but some things I got used to.
Generally I find the following to be true:

1) When you pull your BB from its holster, it will jump to the latest notification it received. E.g. If you last received an e-mail, it'll open the e-mail. If you last got a phone call, it jumps to show you the call.

2) If there were no notifications between holstering and retrieval, it turns on to the screen you viewed last.

There's no way to change that default behavior that I know of.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #130
kwirth1

I couldn't stand the beeping during the call so I went back to 138. Much better now.
Old 07-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #131
SteveO86

The beeping during the call can be fixed by using the CDMA file from an earlier OS.

Follow me on Twitter
Old 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #132
WDCulbertson

Default E-Mail settings in this version not working

I mentioned this earlier as part of a two-part comment. I had a response to the second part of my comment but not this. I don't like to sound like I am nagging, but I haven't seen this problem with this version anywhere.

Has anyone had the problem of the E-mail settings not showing the HTML option after upgrading to this version. I had version .77 with VZW and the HTML setting worked great. After I upgraded, the option is no longer in the list of settings, and all of my E-mails display as plain text. I have reloaded the OS twice after the initial upgrade with the same result. I am working through a BES, which I can't see why this would have anything to do with it, but I can't think of anything else to look at.

I am open to any suggestions to look at to get the HTML option to work, short of going back to the earlier version - but I will if needed. I like the way this one works. By the way I don't experience the beeping sound when making phone calls.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM   #133
cutloose

Default 4.5.0.160

I upgraded from 4.5.0.131 to .160 and all smooth except for the new audio cherp. Thanks blackberry! But thanks to forum I replaced the cdma file with .77 and all is well. I think they call it a hybrid os or something. thanks for sharing everything.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:07 AM   #134
bbpearlflint
Thumbs Must Hurt

Wirelessly posted

WDCulbertson- are you sure you're looking in the right spot, under email settings? It should be there.

I've noticed a different issue. After I have tried to change my profile notifications, the sounds on my phone will completely disappear. The only way to fix it is to do a battery pull.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:14 AM   #135
shael

Model: 8830
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngray70 View Post
That might be fixable by creating a hybrid OS using the radio from another OS in .160.

This also can be used to fix frequent drops in data connection with a new build (particularly a leaked beta build) this solution will help you use the new java components but keep your radio from your old, stable code.

1. Locate and Download the OS on your machine that caused your device to have good reception
2. Locate and Download the OS on your machine that you want to use, but has the data connectivity issues
3. Install both sets of software on your machine to the default location
4. Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader Files and locate the two different OS installations.
5. Open the folder that contains the good radio code
6. Go to the GSM/UMTS/CDMA folder (your OS package will have one of those folder names) NOT the Java folder
7. Right click and Copy the only file located there.
8. Go back to the other OS installation directory and locate the same folder (GSM/UMTS/CDMA) and paste the copied file.
9. It should ask you to overwrite the current file, Click YES
10. If it does not ask you, simply delete the file that was already in the directory, and paste the new file in
11. Go to either Loader.exe under :\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Apploader or run Desktop Manager.
12. Update your OS as normal. You will notice that it might say "downgrade" in certain sections for the core OS. This is due to the radio code and should be ignored.
13. Enjoy your new hybrid OS.

Thanks to Sith_Apprentice.
I followed these instructions faithfully and wound up with .77 in place of the .160 I had installed. Thoughts?

(grrr)
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #136
macusmc

Carrier: us cellular
Default Upgrading OS

I have a curve with US Cellular

v4.5.0.66
Platform 3.2.0.48

i am trying to upgrade the OS to .131 or .138 but its not working. I removed the vendow.xml files. whenever i save a new os to my computer it runs it and goes but does nothing to the phone. I dont see an .exe file for the OS upgrade. The installshield program runs it all. I need to upgrade this OS to get the new messenger, also I have an ESN device. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #137
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Welcome to the forums.

Connect your device to your PC using a rear USB port.
Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader and double click on Loader.exe
Follow the prompts.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-21-2009, 01:48 PM   #138
macusmc

Carrier: us cellular
Default Trying to upgrade OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Connect your device to your PC using a rear USB port.
Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader and double click on Loader.exe
Follow the prompts.
I have done those steps, I have the new OS saved on my desktop, when i go thru the loader it does not see the new OS as a file i can load. It is only looking for .alx or .ali files, the OS is a .exe program..am I dong this right?
Old 07-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #139
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

It doesn't sound like it. Double click the .exe file on your desktop, and install it. After that, then delete the vendor.xml file. Once you've completed BOTH of the steps above, then click on the Loader.exe file I mentioned above.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #140
EdPSoul

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Curve 8330 - MEID Device - Verizon Issue

I downloaded the 8330AMEA_PBr4.5.0_rel253_PL3.4.0.41_A4.5.0.160_Tel us_Mobility.exe file as directed,

removed the vendor.xml file and still, my op system shows the 4.5.0.77....what's the deal?
Closed Thread