BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 06:45 PM   #1
tyrahat
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Default New thoughts from the gal that dropped her 8700

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, this will be my last attempt before I shell out the cash to buy one straight out...

Both buy.com and amazon.com have the deals on the phones with the 2 year contract. Buy.com is actually a little better since they are offering a free bluetooth.

So here's what I'm thinkin'..... if I have a friend buy the 8700 and sign up for the Cingular service on buy.com, can we just switch the sim cards when the new 8700 comes in and then I can buy him a cheap phone (he hardly uses his "free" sprint phone / service anyway)? Or is there something other that ties the phone/sim card/service to that particular person? He is fine with switching to Cingluar and is fine with a freebie generic phone (like off ebay or something). I just don't know much about phones being "unlocked" or anything.

Thoughts??

Thanks!!
Old 03-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #2
NCBuckeye
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: 4.6
Carrier: AT&T

There is nothing that makes him use that phone. If they have rebates sometimes they make hime sign up for the unlimited plan to get the rebate, but I guess you can tell the place where he buys it that he doesn't want it.
Old 03-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #3
tyrahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBuckeye
There is nothing that makes him use that phone. If they have rebates sometimes they make hime sign up for the unlimited plan to get the rebate, but I guess you can tell the place where he buys it that he doesn't want it.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding - he would be signing up for the lowest available plan from Cingular to get the 8700 and then we would be swapping the sim cards from my broken 8700 to his new 8700 (both with my ph #) and then buying him a cheap phone to accept his new sim card from the purchase.

Is this making sense? Now I'm starting to confuse myself....
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Yes, it will work.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:06 PM   #5
tyrahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
Yes, it will work.
First, what a coincidence, I have seat 1D on my US Airways flight tmrow...

Anyway, back to the post... sorry to be such a "tard about this, but I know nothing about this (as if that wasn't painfully obivious enough) Will I need to take the phones to the Cingular store to do the sim card swap? I understand that the little card just pops out and slides in, but anything else I need to do from an activation standpoint? Does my friend need to activate the 8700 phone with his info pre-card swap and then we move cards to the cheapie phone after?

If someone can help, I swear I'll buy the next round of beers!!!

Thanks!!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:09 PM   #6
DuckWingDuck
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8700g
Carrier: TMO

Rich people!!! No, you won't need to go to Cingular, it is exactly as you described, just take off the battery and slide his SIM card out and insert yours. At that point, it will be considered by Cingular as "your device".
Old 03-06-2006, 10:11 PM   #7
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

One thing make sure that your friend only chosses the Voice plan. Once your friend gets the 8700, just plug your SIM in it and put his SIM in his phone. Once you are done with your SIM you need to register the 8700 by updating your profile with the new IMEI and PIN. Your friend will be good to go without doing anyting as the his phone should come in with a pre-assigned SIM with a number (as far as I know).
Old 03-06-2006, 10:51 PM   #8
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdafuhk
Rich people!!! No, you won't need to go to Cingular, it is exactly as you described, just take off the battery and slide his SIM card out and insert yours. At that point, it will be considered by Cingular as "your device".

Actually..... the imei will be tied to his account, so it will be considered his blackberry. She will be only using it.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:59 PM   #9
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrahat
First, what a coincidence, I have seat 1D on my US Airways flight tmrow...
It's my favorite seat (on planes with first class anyway)! First Class, aisle, bulkhead. Can't be beat. What type of plane are you on tomorrow? I'm guessing you hold a Dividend Miles Preferred card of some type?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:16 PM   #10
tyrahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Actually..... the imei will be tied to his account, so it will be considered his blackberry. She will be only using it.
It doesn't matter if its "his" BB, I just need to make sure that I can use my ph#/dataplan with it.

??
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #11
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
It doesn't matter if its "his" BB, I just need to make sure that I can use my ph#/dataplan with it.

??
YES YOU CAN!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #12
tyrahat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc
It's my favorite seat (on planes with first class anyway)! First Class, aisle, bulkhead. Can't be beat. What type of plane are you on tomorrow? I'm guessing you hold a Dividend Miles Preferred card of some type?
AmWest Chairman.... 123k base miles flown last year...
Old 03-07-2006, 11:17 AM   #13
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
AmWest Chairman.... 123k base miles flown last year...
Gotcha. I'm a Chairman's from US Airways East, 100k base miles, 111 segments (which is how I made Chairman) last year. 21k base miles so far this year.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:41 PM   #14
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310v
Carrier: Verizon

check out the "Cracked Screen" thread before doing any of that. I was able to get my unit replaced for free as the screen cracked WAY too easily.. it only dropped from about two feet and onto thin carpet. I was sitting down and went to put it in my holster and missed.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:25 PM   #15
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by romerom
check out the "Cracked Screen" thread before doing any of that. I was able to get my unit replaced for free as the screen cracked WAY too easily.. it only dropped from about two feet and onto thin carpet. I was sitting down and went to put it in my holster and missed.

Good suggestion. However, a 2 ft drop and an estimated 30ft drop are big differences. Especially the difference of concrete and carpet. Worth a shot though
Old 03-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #16
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

You need to read the fine prints of the argreements, they do require "he" sign up for at least the $40 plan per month, not sure if it requires the "data plan" too. As far as swapping SIM cards, it will be easy to do and doesn't require a visit to the store, especially if you are both with Cingular so it won't need to be unlocked. Make sure he doesn't get a data plan and go into the webclient and enter the pin/emei, so when you do it won't already be assigned to another account.

Good luck, to bad you actually like UslessAir
Old 03-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #17
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
Good luck, to bad you actually like UslessAir
That's not very nice! :p I suppose you are a Delta SkyMiles Elite?
Old 03-07-2006, 05:04 PM   #18
nb_mitch
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

Actually, no, but my comment had nothing to do with other airline affiations, but with my dealing with Useless. Once they left us without food and water sitting on the tarmac in Philly for 5 hours, but hey we "pulled away from the gate on time", another time flying to Philly one morning, we were diverted to Baltimore and put on a bus without even "We're sorry were Useless", got to work 6 hours late that day (which hurts when you are paid by the hour) but hey that was back when they were falling out of the sky too that summer in the early 90s, so I guess I should count myself lucky Now, I prefer JetBlue when I can, my next flights are on Airtran and then American though. I will go where the price is right, except Useless, never again.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:59 PM   #19
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_mitch
Actually, no, but my comment had nothing to do with other airline affiations, but with my dealing with Useless. Once they left us without food and water sitting on the tarmac in Philly for 5 hours, but hey we "pulled away from the gate on time", another time flying to Philly one morning, we were diverted to Baltimore and put on a bus without even "We're sorry were Useless", got to work 6 hours late that day (which hurts when you are paid by the hour) but hey that was back when they were falling out of the sky too that summer in the early 90s, so I guess I should count myself lucky Now, I prefer JetBlue when I can, my next flights are on Airtran and then American though. I will go where the price is right, except Useless, never again.
Sorry to hear about that man...

I've done my fair share of tarmac sitting at PHL, but I fly so much, that kinda thing just rolls off my back. If I have a travel problem, I simply call my boss and tell him I had travel problems, and I'll be on site as soon as possible.

Now, having said all that, I route my flights through CLT as much as possible because PHL sucks so bad. :p