Old 01-18-2006, 04:55 PM   #61
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romerom
I think stupid is a pretty strong word. Why hide something like this? This is a policy that's been set and I believe its a great one seeing how simple it was for my screen to crack (drop from 2 feet onto thin carpet, sitting down). The more things like this come in, the more they'll focus on a way to improve their design i.e. slide-in replaceable plastic screens.
i think its stupid to think that "slide in plastic screens" are even on the horizon. Any phone can be dropped from 2 feet in the air and with the fragile LCD screens and plastic screens all it takes is a hit on the right spot. For you and everyone else to be calling cingular and saying well this happend so i need a replacement is fine and i would do the same. Im just saying, the next time you crack your screen and call cingular and request a replacement dont expect the same treatment. They obviously like to keep this deal they have with RIM about replacing units a secret and for you and everyone else to be plastering it on public forums is just crying out for people that want a replacement to call and cry to cingular and by doing this it will force cingular to recitfy their situation with RIM b/c its costing them too much money.

you continue to do whatever makes you happy and i'll sit and watch but rest assured, the first person who posts on here about be declined for the replacement from cingular i will be giving you a big I TOLD YOU SO.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:20 PM   #62
daveinpa

Model: 8700c

Quote:
that SUCKS did you try mentioning this forum and have them ask a service advisor?

i feel really lucky right now to have gotten someone that actually helped me out! i'll pm you with my RMA# so you can have them reference that

Thanks ROMEROM. I got the standard... this is a special device speech. My point is this - I think the plastic cover/screen is poorly made. Mine cracked from the right side near the escape button that is real hard to push... maybe I put undue stress on that area and the holster didn't help. Who knows. Bottom line is that they NEED TO GET THEIR ACT TOGETHER. Verizon has a protection plan and they don't... IS ANYONE FROM CINGULAR LISTENING?

I appreciate everyone's advice in this post!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:37 PM   #63
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310v

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlace01
i think its stupid to think that "slide in plastic screens" are even on the horizon.
thats the second time your calling me stupid so i think its safe to assume your just an ass at this point. i'm not saying the 8700 will ever get a slide in plastic screen, but on future models, this would alleviate this type of issue if you could just go to a cingular store and get an easy replacement.

you have no "vision".. lol

thanks to JNELSON for posting this and inspiring me to call again and luckily get a responsive cingular rep.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #64
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
thats the second time your calling me stupid so i think its safe to assume your just an ass at this point. i'm not saying the 8700 will ever get a slide in plastic screen, but on future models, this would alleviate this type of issue if you could just go to a cingular store and get an easy replacement.

you have no "vision".. lol

thanks to JNELSON for posting this and inspiring me to call again and luckily get a responsive cingular rep.
i am not calling you stupid and maybe stupid is the best word for what you are doing but as far as "vision"...i would say im just more realistic. Most phones have somehwere you can go some website some thirdparty place to get it fixed...the 8700 is new so there isn't much of a community sorrounding that phone yet but it will come.

Im done talking about this i just want it to be known that this very thing happend with RIM. But in tha case, it couldn't be stopped...people needed to know about this b/c it was an actual issue. as far as you guys thinking the screen is poorly made..you are naive...you broke it just like you could break any other phone with pressure on the screen. All that you are doing by posting this is giving away your awesome hookup with cingular. Thousands of people read this forum a day and every one that sees that will be calling cingular and saying "ummmm my screen is cracked i need a new one" and there will be a point, i gurantee it, when cingular is tired of replacing phones because people crack their screens and they will stop doing it.

But who am i really...just another satisfied cingular customer so i will sit abck and watch at this point and see how it unfolds... but dont misunderstand me and think im calling you stupid...im sure you are o so smart. ;)
Old 01-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #65
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

when i first called cingular after cracking my screen a week after they came out, they said it'd take 500-1000 users before they took this issue seriously. in my opinion, the more people who call up with this problem, the better it is for everybody. seems like logic to me?
Old 01-18-2006, 11:32 PM   #66
dwlace01
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
when i first called cingular after cracking my screen a week after they came out, they said it'd take 500-1000 users before they took this issue seriously. in my opinion, the more people who call up with this problem, the better it is for everybody. seems like logic to me?
you have a valid point but that is with the assumption that this is a widespread problem and not just people dropping it. i'm gonna go ahead and say that the 8700 isn't any "less rugged" than any other PDA ever made...they aren't meant to be hardcore devices, they are business oriented. Cingular would address the problem if it was a widespread problem like the dust issue, but at this point I am sure that it isn't anything more than users not being very careful with their PDAs.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:39 PM   #67
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

point taken. i dont know if anybody ever complained about cracked screens on the 7290's though, do you? I know I dropped the 7290 a LOT more and alot harder without it breaking than it took for the 8700 to break. (2 feet up hitting thin carpet while sitting down).

i guess really where we differ is that i think a phone designed to be carried around should be made with ruggedness in mind. if a cell phone broke everytime it was dropped, people would be replacing alot more cellphones than they are. to me, that would be a design flaw and something simple like a plastic slide-in replaceable screen would knock it out.
Old 01-19-2006, 01:08 AM   #68
cxxxkies
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I Love my 7290!!! Every time a new user asking how durable this device, I'll just drop it like unintentionally (around 3 feet) and say oopppss.. And then you will hear them saying.. WOW
So imagine how many time I already dropped my 7290..

I guess switching to 8700 is not an option for me right now after reading this thread :(
Old 01-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #69
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9650
PIN: 007

I have dropped my BB twice from about 4 feet high unto carpet, and unto wooden floor. I also had mine fly out of my hands while I was driving and bounce from the opposite(passengers side door) side to the dashboard, to the seat and finally on the floor face down. I am fortunate to say that I have not even a scratch on it, never mind a cracked screen. BTW this happened all whithin the first week of ownership and taught me some severe lessons and I have never ever dropped it again specially when removing from the holster which is what precipitated this in every instance.

Running OS 6.0.0.524
Old 01-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #70
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

so it looks like i'm not the only one dropping phones over here... while i don't expect a phone to survive me throwing it or even surviving an incredibly hard fall from a reasonable height, a small fall at the wrong angle is all it took for my screen to crack..

anyways - my free replacement is on its way - i hope the rest of you have the luck i did WHEN your screen breaks.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 AM   #71
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

i'll post a picture of my screen crack when i get home and have access to my camera.. who knows, maybe they're cracking in the same spot. my crack looks like a "Y" facing northwest with the bottom of the "Y" in the bottom right hand corner.
Old 01-22-2006, 12:10 AM   #72
henryt111

Model: 8800
Carrier: cingular

Well .....Rom ...thanks to you I have gone out and purchased Insurance on my Phone,
Never know when it may slip out of my holster .....

Henry (A very Happy 8700 owner - and a very unhappy IPAQ 6515 Owner (WAPOS!!)

PS. thanks guys .....and Rom... maybe you can buy another 400+ units and drop them to get cingular's attention ?
Old 01-22-2006, 01:35 AM   #73
romerom
Thumbs Must Hurt

where'd you get insurance?
Old 01-24-2006, 10:09 AM   #74
Inphektion
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
Carrier: (¯`·.¸at&t¸.·´¯)

A user in our company has a cracked screen but I'm just waiting for promobility to get the parts in. They will offer the service for the 8700 soon. In the meantime we ordered another and will end up with a spare.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #75
stripesace
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
Carrier: T-Mobile

Third party insurance.... where do you get it?
Old 03-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #76
Seattle18
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripesace
Third party insurance.... where do you get it?
Here:

http://www.mobileprotech.com/index.cfm
Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #77
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Ladies, Gentelmen,

Lets try and keep this peacfull. There is no need for some of the comments listed here.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:48 AM   #78
Ronstopable

Model: 8300
Carrier: at&t

There seems to be alot of angry folks in here right now, but i will say that i called cingular today regarding a cracked screen and no questions asked i was sent another one for FREE! in fact the rep told me that even RIM has recognized the need to make the 8700 screen more durable.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:06 PM   #79
skygear
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Google Voice

well i guess i need to do the SAME thing i really need one and i do repairs all of my sources are depleated at the moment and if anyone has a good source to buy bb screens and parts please post the url here
Old 06-19-2006, 12:33 PM   #80
devlol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

I'm just wondering.

Why does no one have insurance? I always add it onto my phone plan since I pretty much am guaranteed to use it at least once a year (I think max is twice a year before they kick you off).

Anyways, it's like... what? $6.00 a month, so $72 for the whole year without having to worry about it getting messed up and paying for a brand new one.

It's great. Drop it in the tub? Ocean? Dish washer? Laundry machine? Step on it? Drive over it? Got drunk and threw up all over it? Lost? Stolen?

Covered. Just a thought.
Closed Thread