Please Login to Remove!

I've just released 0.3.0.

It includes the following changes:
  • New view: elevation over time
  • New view: speed over time
  • Fixed layout on Pearls and other smaller phones
  • Configurable font size for the status text
  • Fall back to smaller font if necessary
  • Several bug fixes and some refactoring behind the scenes.
  • Release everything under the GPL license.

Last edited by saua; 08-07-2007 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: add link
Old 08-09-2007, 04:24 PM   #42
Big Ed
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Very nice program. Thanks much. Please keep up the development.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #43
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed View Post
Very nice program. Thanks much. Please keep up the development.
Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely keep up the development. The basics are mostly working now, but I've still got some features that I like for myself. One such feature would be a "pacemaker" feature that notifies you if you go above/below a set speed range (for sport/running/inline skating).

But since everyone uses the tool differently (I love that fact!), everyone will like slightly different features. And I can only implement them if you tell me about them.

So if you've got any comment/bug report/whish list item/... about bbTracker, then I'd very much like you to do any (or all) of the following:
  • Post here
  • File a issue (issues can be both bugs or enhancement requests)
  • Send me a PM/Email (see contact page)

Remember: feedback makes the program fine
Old 08-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #44
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl

Saua, you can start as many tracks as you want, but can only store the first five unless you delete them.

Can you make it store more than 5?

I created a ticket on your site for this.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 AM   #45
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlpisgreat View Post
Saua, you can start as many tracks as you want, but can only store the first five unless you delete them.
I've been using an API called Record Management System (rms) for saving tracks, because it's designed for this kind of things and I didn't have to handle any paths (which might be different from phone to phone). Unfortunately the rms seems to be limited to 64kb of data per RecordStore on the BlackBerry (and is probably equally limited or even smaller on other phones).

Now 64kb is big enough for a few medium sized tracks or one large one, but then it's full.

I will now change the system to store it's tracks directly into the filesystem (into the directory selected as export directory).

I'm planning on releasing 0.3.1 today, which will include the fix.
Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 PM   #46
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Lightbulb New Release: 0.3.1

I've just released 0.3.1, which contains mostly bug fixes and some minor cosmetic changes:
  • save tracks to file system, should fix the issue with unsaved tracks
  • try to reset and re-request the LocationProvider when GPS fails
  • add confirmation when quitting
  • don't hide exceptions when saving a track
  • show options when first starting bbTracker
  • check for valid directory when leaving options screen
  • add explicit "Stop Tracking" action
  • space button switches between views

Have fun and keep reporting any issues your run across.

Last edited by saua; 08-15-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Old 08-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #47
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Saua - This is a great app. I finally had a chance to play around with 0.3.1 yesterday and this morning with my 8100. I have a couple of comments & suggestions, but take them for what they're worth -- the app is great as is.

1) Connecting to GPS: Last night it connected fine. This morning I had some issues and had to restart the pearl before the app would connect to the bluetooth GPS. I checked and I did have the option checked to initialize GPS on start up, so I don't know what went wrong. Probably something with the device and the bluetooth API, not with your app.

2) I love the different views for elevation, speed, and track. You commented in your last post that the space bar should switch between views, but that doesn't seem to work on my 8100.

3) Additional view: consider adding an additional view that shows the stats in larger text, without a graph. For example, coordinates, speed, elevation, heading, and maybe average speed shown in larger fonts. Some people also like to have a view showing number and location of satellites, but I don't care about that.

4) Visibility: Consider messing around with the background and font/track colors for better visibility. I don't have any suggestions as to what would work better, but the black on white is kind of hard to see. One thing I recommend is for you to pick what you think works best and leave it at that. I don't see any reason for color choices -- unless it's really easy to program.

That's all I got for now. Thanks for your work on this -- the application is really fantastic.

Last edited by Spamdumpster; 08-17-2007 at 08:39 AM..
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #48
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

ignore, issue is fixed

Last edited by saua; 08-17-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Old 08-17-2007, 08:34 AM   #49
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster View Post
Saua - This is a great app. I finally had a chance to play around with it yesterday and this morning with my 8100. I have a couple of comments & suggestions, but take them for what they're worth -- the app is great as is.
Thanks for testing and thanks for the feedback, I really need that!

Quote:
1) Connecting to GPS: Last night it connected fine. This morning I had some issues and had to restart the pearl before the app would connect to the bluetooth GPS. I checked and I did have the option checked to initialize GPS on start up, so I don't know what went wrong. Probably something with the device and the bluetooth API, not with your app.
I've included a fix which should enhance the connection quality (especially when losing the signal), but I don't know if it helps with external pucks. Maybe I'll have to access external GPS pucks via the Bluetooth API which would be more work, but would allow more flexibility in handling disconnects (see #34 (Add GPS access via Bluetooth API) - bbTracker - Trac).

Quote:
2) I love the different views for elevation, speed, and track. You commented in your last post that the space bar should switch between views, but that doesn't seem to work on my 8100.
That's probably because the 8100 doesn't have a designated space bar (the key used for space is probably reported as '0' to the application). I can add '0' as a shortcut for changing views for those cell phones without a full Qwerty keyboard.

Quote:
3) Additional view: consider adding an additional view that shows the stats in larger text, without a graph. For example, coordinates, speed, elevation, heading, and maybe average speed shown in larger fonts. Some people also like to have a view showing number and location of satellites, but I don't care about that.
That's already on my TODO list (see #18 (Implement a easily readable StatusScreen) - bbTracker - Trac ). Showing number and location of satellites isn't easily possible with API I use, because it does not expose that information. I could only do that with the direct BT access that I mentioned before and then only with external pucks.

Quote:
4) Visibility: Consider messing around with the background and font/track colors for better visibility. I don't have any suggestions as to what would work better, but the black on white is kind of hard to see. One thing I recommend is for you to pick what you think works best and leave it at that. I don't see any reason for color choices -- unless it's really easy to program.
I can definitely play around. The reason I choose black on white, is because no matter if you've got a color phone or not, it will be at least somewhat readable. Adding color choices is probably not too hard programatically, the reason I'd like to avoid it has more to do with UI clutter: I don't want the options screen to be filled with 3000 (mostly) useless options. I'd prefer to choose good defaults if possible.

Quote:
That's all I got for now. Thanks for your work on this -- the application is really fantastic.
I'm glad you like it and thanks again for the feedback.

You can also file bugs and enhancement requests in the bbTracker issue tracking system. Currently that's anonymous but I will try to enable registration so that you can get updates on bug fixes as they happen.

Last edited by saua; 08-17-2007 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: add link to issue for BT pucks
Old 08-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #50
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

I am impressed. First of all you hit my favorite shortcut - spacebar to change views. So far worked flawlessly on the one ride I did. Can I suggest one more screen shot and you will have a nice little app for sport fanatics. I would call it a summary screen.

Total Distance
Total Elevation Gain
Max Speed
Ave Speed
Total Time

Any others you can think of? At that point its a real winner IMO.

Thanks for helping the community. BTW, I am going to sticky this thread.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #51
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
I am impressed. First of all you hit my favorite shortcut - spacebar to change views. So far worked flawlessly on the one ride I did. Can I suggest one more screen shot and you will have a nice little app for sport fanatics. I would call it a summary screen.

Total Distance
Total Elevation Gain
Max Speed
Ave Speed
Total Time
Yes, that one's been requested a few times already, and it's definitely a must-have for 0.4.0 (see #18 (Implement a easily readable StatusScreen) - bbTracker - Trac).

For sport fanatics there there's another feature that I'm planning to implement in the future: #4 (Implement pacekeeper support) - bbTracker - Trac

Quote:
Any others you can think of? At that point its a real winner IMO.

Thanks for helping the community. BTW, I am going to sticky this thread.
Well I started for a very selfish reason: I wanted to have such a tool. But it seems I now end up doing more programming on it than I do inline skating with it Thanks for the sticky, I feel honoured.

It seems that there are already quite a few users of bbTracker, so I'm planning to create an announcement mailing list and possibly even one for discussion (but this thread seems to work just fine )
Old 08-19-2007, 09:18 PM   #52
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post
Yes, that one's been requested a few times already, and it's definitely a must-have for 0.4.0 (see #18 (Implement a easily readable StatusScreen) - bbTracker - Trac).

For sport fanatics there there's another feature that I'm planning to implement in the future: #4 (Implement pacekeeper support) - bbTracker - Trac

Well I started for a very selfish reason: I wanted to have such a tool. But it seems I now end up doing more programming on it than I do inline skating with it Thanks for the sticky, I feel honoured.

It seems that there are already quite a few users of bbTracker, so I'm planning to create an announcement mailing list and possibly even one for discussion (but this thread seems to work just fine )
Well deserved from what I can see. I would like to see if we can describe for users how to integrate the Google Earth files. I viewed my route on GE today, but would like similar views as you have. Is that possible on the PC? or in GE. Great job so far.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:47 AM   #53
brkdncr
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: tmobile
Default Bugs, help with a .bbt file, and requests.

Sample interval doesn't appear to be saved. set to 15, restarted 8800, and sample interval was now set to 5.

Error message if invalid Track Directory is entered and Open Track Manager is selected.

bbtracker can lose access to the microSD card. I believe this happens when the 8800 is plugged into a computer and the user lets the device switch to "Mass Storage Device mode" rather then the standard mode.

Files are saved as .gpx.rem or .klm.rem. Still not able to read file after removing .rem

What is a .bbt file, and how to I convert it to a klm or gpx file? For some reason this file isn't recognized at all when it's stored on my microSD card. When I move it to the main memory it will show up in Track Manager but it says that it's wrong version. Please help me convert this if possible!!

Requests:
Better Saved settings. Setting the directory each time the app is started is a pain!

Change menu item "Open Track Manager" to "Track Manager"

Starting a new track should request a filename, and suggest one automatically.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:06 AM   #54
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by brkdncr View Post
Sample interval doesn't appear to be saved. set to 15, restarted 8800, and sample interval was now set to 5.
Then something goes wrong when loading or saving the options. It should remember every option. I'll have to look into this.

Quote:
Error message if invalid Track Directory is entered and Open Track Manager is selected.
Which error message? The track directory is now used to save tracks even when they are not exported (those are the .bbt files). So the correct directory really has to be set. If you select another one, then those tracks stored in .bbt files won't be shown (tracks from older versions that where stored in the Record Management System should still be displayed).

Quote:
bbtracker can lose access to the microSD card. I believe this happens when the 8800 is plugged into a computer and the user lets the device switch to "Mass Storage Device mode" rather then the standard mode.
How does this show? Is it possible to access it again after it's been unplugged? Does removing and putting back the microSD card solve it? I fear there's not much I can do about this.

Quote:
Files are saved as .gpx.rem or .klm.rem. Still not able to read file after removing .rem
Really? I've definitely got no ".rem" anywhere in my code, so this is not my doing ...

Are you sure that you've got not other program running that somehow accesses the filesystem in some strange way? Could you send me those files (together with the unloadable .bbt files) to bbtracker AT bbtracker DOT org? This way I could try to find out what's wrong.

Quote:
What is a .bbt file, and how to I convert it to a klm or gpx file? For some reason this file isn't recognized at all when it's stored on my microSD card. When I move it to the main memory it will show up in Track Manager but it says that it's wrong version. Please help me convert this if possible!!
A .bbt file is where bbTracker saves it's track in a format that it can load again. In the long run I'd like bbTracker to use .GPX as it's native format (i.e. not need any other files to store it's track), but that's currently not possible since bbTracker can't read .GPX files yet and the .GPX files created by bbTracker don't contain every bit of information bbTracker has about the tracks (i.e. it's not lossless).
The version message is quite strange. I store a format version number in the .bbt file, so that I can change the format without breaking everything. But right now there is only one version, so there should be no way to get that message.

Quote:
Requests:
Better Saved settings. Setting the directory each time the app is started is a pain!
Agreed. I need to find out why the settings are not saved for you.

Quote:
Change menu item "Open Track Manager" to "Track Manager"
Fair enough.

Quote:
Starting a new track should request a filename, and suggest one automatically.
Doesn't it? Granted, currently it's "Track <n>", which is not the best, but there's already a ticket for that: #25 (Better default track name) - bbTracker - Trac

Lately I've been getting some bug reports that I have a hard time reproducing, which means I have a very hard time fixing them. I will probably implement an optional debug feature which will log to a file in the track directory to help me solves those cases.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #55
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Well deserved from what I can see. I would like to see if we can describe for users how to integrate the Google Earth files.
I welcome anyone who wants to to register an account and start editing the documentation page. The entire homepage is basically a Wiki which anyone can edit (except for a few pages, which are write-protected). So any user can write some documentation, maybe add some screenshots or provide some installation instructions that are missing.

Since I've got only limited time to work on this project, I prefer to focus on making the program so easy to use that documentation should not be necessary ideally (of course that's not entirely possible).

Quote:
I viewed my route on GE today, but would like similar views as you have. Is that possible on the PC? or in GE. Great job so far.
Do you mean elevation over time and speed over time? As far as I know GE doesn't provide those views. Additionally the .kml files I produce don't contain enough information for those kind of views (they contain only the coordinates, no timestamps and speed information). There is a tool that I use which shows those kind of views for any .gpx file (including the ones produced by bbTracker): GPS-Track-Analyse.NET 4 Unfortunately it's german and it's not open source software (it's free for personal, non-commercial use, 'though).

I've been planning to produce a client-side companion to bbTracker (bbTrackViewer?) which would provide such a thing, but currently I don't have the need for it, bbTracker is taking all of my free time and GTA provides this tool for me, so the chances of this piece of software beeing written "Real Soon Now" are pretty slim.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #56
gadams999

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Saua,

Fantastic piece of software. basically MobileTracker done right (and operational). I've read the thread and appreciate the your effort and incorporating the feedback of the users.

The only feature that I miss is the ability for bbTracker to email the track file(s) via the BlackBerry email. I almost never tether my device to my PC. I can use eFile to send track files via email, but it's a slow application at best.

Sending tracks via email from the Track Manager would be best for me.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 AM   #57
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadams999 View Post
The only feature that I miss is the ability for bbTracker to email the track file(s) via the BlackBerry email. I almost never tether my device to my PC. I can use eFile to send track files via email, but it's a slow application at best.
Unfortunately there are several problems with that. J2ME doesn't provide a device-independent way to do this, as far as I known and I really want to avoid using BlackBerry-specific code in bbTracker (despite the name it should be a application suiteable for any GPS-enabled smartphone).

Even if I wanted to include BlackBerry-specific code there would be two obstacles:
  • The BlackBerry SDK only works on Windows and I use Linux to develop (granted, this could probably be worked around)
  • The BlackBerry API for sending Emails requires the Application to be signed with a key provided by RIM. As far as I know that key costs several 100 Dollars to request.

Some possible alternatives that I think about implementing:
  • An online track repostitory that tracks can be uploaded to (both public and private)
  • The ability to send the tracks from this repository via email (which would lead to the same functionality, basically, that you requested)
  • Transfering the tracks via bluetooth (OBEX file transfer)

But then again keep in mind that my time with this project is limited (unfortunately! It's great fun doing this!) and I can't make any guarantees on when (if ever) these features will be implemented. If, on the other hand, you can program J2ME devices or know someone who can, then I'd gladly accept any patches sent my way
Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 AM   #58
gadams999

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Fair enough! eFile provides the functionality from outside of bbTracker, so I do have a way to get the tracks at present. I'm ignorant to the J2ME functionality within SmartPhones, so will simply enjoy bbTracker as-is!

Again, great piece of work!
Old 08-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #59
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post
Unfortunately there are several problems with that. J2ME doesn't provide a device-independent way to do this, as far as I known and I really want to avoid using BlackBerry-specific code in bbTracker (despite the name it should be a application suiteable for any GPS-enabled smartphone).
I beleive that you can attach files to emails. I just did with my gmail account and it worked fine. Latest 8800 OS.

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 08-20-2007 at 10:13 AM..
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #60
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Default BBTracker Screen Shots

This trip was accross the SF Bay. The most problematic part for me is the Elevation. The Bay is relatively flat. Certainly at the low point of -141 feet. I wasn't slurpping sea water, but the posters are correct, as this is a working Mobile Tracker that is FREE (at least for now). I think you are doing a great job. Can't wait for the summary view discussed below.

Track View - shows coordinates, speed at current point, degree heading, elevation, total distance, and number of track points. Roll the trackball to view the points.

Speed View - shows coordinates, speed at current point, degree heading, elevation, total distance, and number of track points. Roll the trackball to view the points.

Elevation View - shows coordinates, speed at current point, degree heading, elevation, total distance, and number of track points. Roll the trackball to view the points.

Options Screens

Last edited by Stinsonddog; 08-20-2007 at 10:12 AM..
Closed Thread