BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 11:21 AM   #41
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With my location set to my home street address in Panama City, Florida, Toucans in Mexico Beach shows up as 0.97 miles away. The Tocans address shows Mexico Beach, but the map shows it on HWY 98 in Panama City (near my location), when Toucans is on HWY 98 in Mexico Beach. I've since uninstalled Find It so can't give more detail or other examples. Anyway, as I said, I remember this error when I tried the infospace website.

UPDATE: I installed the app again to double check something related to the above. I searched for other categories near my location (my home). It isn't just Toucan's that is incorrect. Other sites (ATM's, groceries, etc.) on HWY 98 in Mexico Beach show up as near my location (within a mile or two). The street address for the site plainly states Mexico Beach, however. I'm sure this isn't the app but rather Infospace.

Last edited by aiharkness; 02-27-2007 at 07:31 AM..
Old 02-22-2007, 11:52 AM   #42
Spamdumpster
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8820
Carrier: at&t

Torgerson - I have a Pearl on Cingular, obviously no native GPS chip. Is it possible to download a version of infospace that will pick up my location by defaulting to triangular or the location of a cell tower? I notice that installing the version for the pearl doesn't even offer me the opportunity to locate myself, but that, if I donwload other versions of the software (e.g., 8800, 8703, or 7100i), it gives me the option to locate myself, but then doesn't actually find me.

If there was a version of this that would automatically default to a cell tower location (i.e., no need for GPS), that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #43
newyowker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

For some reason whenever I browse through categories the InfoSpace crashes and returns an error "Uncaught exception: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException" I'm using an 8703e on Sprint. Any suggestions? Otherwise, this is an amazing program - Thanks!
Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #44
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: At&T

O have had this happen a couple of times to me too. Also the my location does not seem to want to work. It worked once but that was it. The uncaugher error comes after trying the my location a couple of times.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:06 PM   #45
newyowker
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint

Here's one scenario where it will always crash (2) Browse by category then press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and * after trying to get into the * menu it crashes every time.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:12 PM   #46
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: cingular

Quick message to all, I have not had time today to respond, i will get to your messages tonight. In the mean time.. I am going to take these repro steps you have provided to our QA and have them dig into it. Thanks a ton for taking the time to provide steps, this is so valuable.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:21 PM   #47
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Just to report, the current location will not work if one chooses that. So I tried the Directions and slected from curent location then went back to current location and that wokrd. One thing I would like to also recomend, the ability to zoom in fron teh standard view screen I can't seem to be able to do that and that would make things a bit clearer. Remember these are smaller screens and to read the info on the map one might need to zoom a bit more.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #48
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hf1khal
Just to report, the current location will not work if one chooses that. So I tried the Directions and slected from curent location then went back to current location and that wokrd. One thing I would like to also recomend, the ability to zoom in fron teh standard view screen I can't seem to be able to do that and that would make things a bit clearer. Remember these are smaller screens and to read the info on the map one might need to zoom a bit more.
I'd be interested in knowing (if you are willing to provide this) what screen you were on exactly, what you saw and what your expectations were. (more detail is better on your expectations). We are diligent about usability studies on product features.. and while this is not an official study, it could almost act as a great forum for consolidated feedback that we could integrate into the product. Mapping is one key area of focus for us that we would like to expand on in the future releases.

Thanks again for your time to provide feedback already, we truly appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 PM   #49
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgerson
I'd be interested in knowing (if you are willing to provide this) what screen you were on exactly, what you saw and what your expectations were. (more detail is better on your expectations). We are diligent about usability studies on product features.. and while this is not an official study, it could almost act as a great forum for consolidated feedback that we could integrate into the product. Mapping is one key area of focus for us that we would like to expand on in the future releases.

Thanks again for your time to provide feedback already, we truly appreciate it.
That was under maps and directions, option 1: view map enlarged screen. The same would need to apply for the direction map.

Another reoprt is the Spoken Turn-by-turn, have tried it several times (at variuos locations) and it comes back with "Unable to perform requested action. Try again or exit infospace and try later".
Old 02-23-2007, 12:52 AM   #50
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That was under maps and directions, option 1: view map enlarged screen. The same would need to apply for the direction map.

Another reoprt is the Spoken Turn-by-turn, have tried it several times (at variuos locations) and it comes back with "Unable to perform requested action. Try again or exit infospace and try later".
OK.. playing catch up tonight on the forums..

On the spoken turn by turn directions, has it ever worked for you? Was this on your 8100 or 8700?

As far as the mapping improvements, just to be clear.. you just are looking/expecting a clear way to get a large map immediately? or you expect a default larger map? Sorry for the extra clarification.. i just want to be clear on your request.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #51
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness
Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

With my location set to my home street address in Panama City, Florida, Toucans in Mexico Beach shows up as 0.97 miles away. The Tocans address shows Mexico Beach, but the map shows it on HWY 98 in Panama City (near my location), when Toucans is on HWY 98 in Mexico Beach. I've since uninstalled Find It so can't give more detail or other examples. Anyway, as I said, I remember this error when I tried the infospace website.
OK.. I will explain this one at a technical level at least, so you can see why this is happening. (and this actually applies to a few of the relevancy issues you see here)

I believe what you are seeing here is a decision we made on the backend dealing with the geo-coding of addresses from a provider. Based on an address, and piping that to the mapping system, we have confidence levels (hidden from you) that let us know how confident we are in the plotting on the map. If we are lower in confidence, in some cases, we decide to NOT plot based on the thresholds in our system. Check out the example on our web site for the same query you provided..

CLICK HERE TO SEE EXAMPLE: DATA SAMPLE

Notice how it shows an Asterisk next to the address. This means, at least on the web side, we are not plotting because we felt that based on the confidence threshold, we could not plot this accurately. On the mobile side, we err on the side of providing a map, where at least you can get your bearings. This is obviously an example where the plotting on the map did not occur correctly based on the geo-coded data.

Now, with all that said, and not sounding like an excuse, we are always trying to improve the data in the system. This is a prime example (and thanks for providing the details for this) where we can shoot for improvements. As you can see, we are commited to making this work as well as we can for our users. Great feedback like you are all giving on this forum is second to none. You are a great community for honest feedback and we appreciate it.

OK, sorry for the long-winded response.. but i wanted to at least give you an understanding of WHY it was happening. (if you cared enough to read all of this)

Moving on to hopefully a shorter response on the next one.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:08 AM   #52
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamdumpster
Torgerson - I have a Pearl on Cingular, obviously no native GPS chip. Is it possible to download a version of infospace that will pick up my location by defaulting to triangular or the location of a cell tower? I notice that installing the version for the pearl doesn't even offer me the opportunity to locate myself, but that, if I donwload other versions of the software (e.g., 8800, 8703, or 7100i), it gives me the option to locate myself, but then doesn't actually find me.

If there was a version of this that would automatically default to a cell tower location (i.e., no need for GPS), that would be fantastic.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Great response Spamdumpster

One thing we are focused on is ensuring the user experience is best, without causing confusion.On the 8100, although RIM states that it has GPS support, or could at least fall back to cell tower triangulation, it does not work in our testing. Due to this, I asked our dev team to disable GPS on the 8100 series. I have tried on several Cingular and T-Mobile phones with no luck.

Now, the 8703e should definitely work on the sprint network. That is our showcase phone for GPS support. Nothing we have tried works better. The 8800 on cingular has worked for us, and we have had limited success with the 7100i. I say limited because we have also seen some phones not working.

One thing you are probably all interested in is the GPS Puck support. Rest assured that it is a feature I also am very interested in. My guess is you will see it first in the 8100/8800 series. The 4.2 OS is supposed to make GPS puck transparent to code.. and work as any other LBS provider. That is something we still have yet to see working, and are actively working with RIM to solve issues here. Stand by for more here, I am excited to get this out.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:13 AM   #53
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyowker
Here's one scenario where it will always crash (2) Browse by category then press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and * after trying to get into the * menu it crashes every time.
OK.. I did a couple tests on other phones, and could not repro this. the two 8703 phones I have are both out in others hands right now, when I get back to the office I will try to get them back and run a test. Our QA king is actively trying to repro this on test labs, and virtual developer labs. No luck yet.

Stay tuned.. truly appreciate the repro steps. If anyone else can repro this on another device, please send me an email. Crashes are something we want to address immediately.

btw, my first name is Jeff. My work email is Firstname.lastname and the domain is infospace.com (I am sure the crew here will figure this out without me getting spam by typing in my email here)
Old 02-23-2007, 10:18 AM   #54
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgerson
OK.. playing catch up tonight on the forums..

On the spoken turn by turn directions, has it ever worked for you? Was this on your 8100 or 8700?

As far as the mapping improvements, just to be clear.. you just are looking/expecting a clear way to get a large map immediately? or you expect a default larger map? Sorry for the extra clarification.. i just want to be clear on your request.
Sorry, I should have updated. This is on the 8800 and I ws not able to get spoken turn by turn to work at all. As to the screen, what I am recommending is for the ability to zoom in from the larger map so one can read the street names. If you look at how BB maps work it zooms in and then in 10 seconds it reverts back to the original size
Old 02-23-2007, 11:05 AM   #55
Torgerson
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Sorry, I should have updated. This is on the 8800 and I ws not able to get spoken turn by turn to work at all. As to the screen, what I am recommending is for the ability to zoom in from the larger map so one can read the street names. If you look at how BB maps work it zooms in and then in 10 seconds it reverts back to the original size
Thanks for the clarification on the map feature.. I will investigate. I dont have the 8800 on me today to try it out, but I will get it back on Monday.

As for the no audio, we will dig in to that. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #56
BabaBerry
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T

Will it work with a bluetooth GPS receiver?
Old 02-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #57
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
Edit: It appears this works on the Verizon phones with *crippled* GPS services!
I downloaded it to my VZW 8703e but it says "Near: Enter Location". How did you get the GPS to work?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:29 AM   #58
hmon

Model: Bold
Carrier: at&t

I am unable to download the 8800 version.
I get following error.
907 Invalid COD
HTTP Error 413: Request Entity Too Large
I have tried 8700c ver also same error.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:20 AM   #59
superkrad

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T

On my new 8800 I get the following error when trying to launch:

Unable to start Infospace Find It! Possible network problems, try again.
Old 02-24-2007, 11:02 AM   #60
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmon
I am unable to download the 8800 version.
I get following error.
907 Invalid COD
HTTP Error 413: Request Entity Too Large
I have tried 8700c ver also same error.
Are you using the internet browser? Also check the settings when in thte browser and make sure it is set to emulate IE.