j-slatton
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knezek View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Jeremy,

I only use the google maps method. I try the landmark here method today.
Yeah, google maps works good for static points.

The real use I can see for this thing is being able to tell relatively exact yardage from where you're currently at to the pin/green/whatever. If I'm standing in a fairway...how much further do I have to the front of the green?

While the method of inputing lat/long for the front/back of the greens works great...testing the accuracy of the gps by inputing a landmark and then moving away from it seems like a valid test case. If the number changes sporadically from the same spot, this questions the accuracy of the gps no matter how you're using it.

Perhaps there is something funky going on with the landmark here function. Either way, it shouldn't affect what I'm trying to do. Using google maps and putting the landmarks in manually should work great.

Wonder how much the battery gets drained after 5 hours of gps usage

Again man...thanks for the app. It's awesome. I'd still like a way to export/import lat/long
Old 10-16-2007, 10:15 AM   #42
bubba22

Model: 8310
Carrier: rogers
Default Curve 8310?

Will yhis golf GPS program work with the Curve 8310?
Old 10-16-2007, 10:21 AM   #43
knezek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: The New ;) AT&T
Default Should work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba22 View Post
Will yhis golf GPS program work with the Curve 8310?
Download the 4.2 version. Just point your bb browser at http://www.mascogolf.com/bb/bbGolf.jad
Old 10-17-2007, 04:12 PM   #44
bubba22

Default Thanks!!

Looks great. Can one add things like hole length, handicap etc. ? Also is there another mapping site to get coordinates besides google earth (it keeps on shutting me down when I try to map my course) or do I just have to do it manually?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 AM   #45
zrcrazy

Model: 8703
Carrier: version

Intelligolf is the only way to go.... works great.....

Last edited by zrcrazy; 10-18-2007 at 11:23 AM..
Old 10-18-2007, 09:20 AM   #46
knezek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default intelligolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrcrazy View Post
Intelligolf is the only way to go.... work great.....
for $60.....
Old 10-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #47
bubba22

Default Landmarking?

Agreed your program is excellent and all one needs. I walked and landmarked my course and it seems right on. As mentioned I have not been able to get Google earth working to enter in the coordinates which makes sense, especially if one wants to do multiple courses. Does anybody know of any other way to get detailed golf coordinates to enter them into this program?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #48
knezek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Maps

Quote:
Agreed your program is excellent and all one needs. I walked and landmarked my course and it seems right on. As mentioned I have not been able to get Google earth working to enter in the coordinates which makes sense, especially if one wants to do multiple courses. Does anybody know of any other way to get detailed golf coordinates to enter them into this program?
I have also used USGS Geography: The National Map when google maps does not have the right resolution. It's US only, and the interface is not as good, but it gets the job done....
Old 10-19-2007, 12:15 PM   #49
bubba22

Default Canada!!

Unfortunately I'm in Canada. I wonder if there is anything north of the border?
Old 10-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #50
bubba22

Default Fine!

Google earth seems to be working fine. Used landmark entry and yardages are bang on. How many courses can one store on this application? Can we back up the info? Are you working on any upgrades for course info, scorecard pictures etc? This is an excellent program which one will use a lot. Thank you for the good work.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:38 PM   #51
donaldpa

Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default From Intelligolf on BB GPS.

Yes, the Blackberry 8800-series integrated GPS chip is compatible with IntelliGolf. However, it is important to note that the GPS accuracy of the Blackberry 8800-series (e.g. 8800, 8820, 8830, etc) of products seems to vary from less than 10 meters/yards of accuracy (i.e. good for golf to more than 10 meters/yards of accuracy (i.e. not useable for golf). As such, you should follow the steps below to determine the accuracy of your Blackberry 8800-series product. Note: If the GPS accuracy of your Blackberry is consistently greater than 10 meters/yards, you should consider getting an external GPS receiver to use for golf (click here for more info). All of the other functionality in IntelliGolf (e.g. scoring, statistics, sidegames, signature courses, etc) works great with the Blackberry.

Blackberry GPS Accuracy Test: To test the GPS accuracy of the Blackberry 8800-series of products, please follow the steps listed below.

Note: These GPS tests were documented/performed on a Blackberry 8800. Your sequence of events may vary depending upon your particular Blackberry model (e.g. 8820, 8830, etc). Please refer to your user manual for model-specific instructions.

On your Blackberry, please select the Settings icon from the main screen. Next, select Options, then Advanced Options, then GPS, and highlight Device GPS (that's the embedded GPS chip). Next, go outside and away from any buildings/trees so that you have a clear view of the sky. Use the Blackberry's function/menu key to bring up the the pull-down menu that shows Refresh GPS. Highlight and select Refresh GPS. That will tell the GPS chip to scan the sky for GPS satellites circling the Earth. After a couple minutes, the GPS screen will be refreshed and it will show you the number of satellites that your Blackberry found. In addition, it will also compute the "Accuracy" that is being obtained by your Blackberry. Any application, including IntelliGolf, will only be as accurate as the GPS data stream that is being provided to it by your Blackberry's integrated GPS chip. While your results may vary, we have noticed that the Blackberry's internal chip varies in accuracy from less than 10 meters/yards to more than 10 meters/yards. Since 10 meters/yards is approximately the delta distance between clubs for most folks (e.g. 7 iron goes 155 yards, 6 iron goes 165 yards) it is very important for golf that the accuracy readings from your GPS receiver/chip are less than 10 meters/yards. Otherwise, you might find yourself hitting the wrong club. You can use the GPS Refresh routine multiple times to see how your Blackberry's embedded GPS chip responds at various locations (i.e. out in the open, under trees, etc). Once you have verified that the accuracy of your Blackberry's GPS chip is consistently less than 10 meters, please exit out of the GPS screens and return to your Blackberry's main menu.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:53 PM   #52
j-slatton
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
bbgolf needs the lat/long in a certain format. This format is the DD or Decimal Degree format of lat/long coordinates. Unfortunately, the only program I've seen that outputs in this format instead of DMS (Degree Minute Second) is Google Earth.

However, flashearth.com shows you the lat/long of the current location of the crosshair in a DMS format. In order to convert this DMS to DD for use in bbgolf, you need to click "Link to this location" on the bottom right of flashearth whenever you have your crosshair where you want it (like the middle of a green). The resulting URL in your browser will show the lat/long in a DD format opposed to a DMS.

That's the long way of doing it but it gets the job done.

Oh and I don't know what donaldpa was contributing to this thread but it looked like mere advertisements.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:01 PM   #53
lousygolfer

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Great app

Thanks alot for this great golf distance app. I've been using it for several weeks on my Curve 8310, mapping points (front green, middle green, bunkers, etc) using Google Earth. I've found it to be remarkably accurate. On my home course (Harding Park, SF), I compared the GPS calculated distances, mapped with Google Earth, on my Blackberry to the actual distances measured using my laser range finder for a variety of targets. Every time, the two methods gave the same distance within 5 yds.

The rate limiting step of this application is loading in all the GPS coordinates. Takes more than one hour to load everything useful. Also, one needs to take care not to use long names for points (such as "greenside right bunker") or the distance numbers run off the right side of the screen (you see only "2" instead of "215" for distance).

A full battery charge for the 8310 is required prior to starting the round, but I've yet to drain the battery in a single round (even those painful 5+ hour affairs at Harding...).

Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:54 AM   #54
ricoejk

Model: 8830
Carrier: USCellular
Default great app - let's improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZinNC View Post
I was thinking about writing my own Golf GPS application, but I'm glad I found this thread! I'm using the 8800 and have mapped a couple holes at my golf course (people were behind me so I couldn't do them all).

I noticed that sometimes when you save a position, it then starts saying that you are several yards away from that position even if you haven't moved. I assume that this is because the satellites may not have been correctly synched when I initally saved the postion. What are your thoughts?

Also, in response to the other suggestion about having a centralized course DB, I would like to offer to collaborate with you on such a project. I am not sure how you save course information into bbGolf, but I suggest that a standard XML format or something. I am new to BB programming, but I would like to help you extend the application into more of a GUI if you want.

Let me know what you think.

Jon

TO ALL: I love this app, seems like the start of a real winner. So, we need to get data in/out for sharing, etc. So I wrote some code. But I can't compile it, build it, etc. I'm a java guy, but on servers and stuff, don't really want to waste time figuring out how to get the J2ME build env going.

I'll post the code in my next message. Who wants to compile it?????
-Ed
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #55
ricoejk

Model: 8830
Carrier: USCellular
Default the new code

ok, so the source code can be found in links on this page - bbGolf :: Home

I propose adding code to the bbGolfCoursesScreen.java:

see attached file, look for comments
Code:
// EdK begin added

...thru...

// EdK end added
Let me know if anyone can build and try!
-Ed
Attached Files
File Type: txt bbGolfCoursesScreen.java.txt (10.7 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #56
knezek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Changes

Ed,

I'll add these changes later today and post it to the site...

Thanks,

Kelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoejk View Post
ok, so the source code can be found in links on this page - bbGolf :: Home

I propose adding code to the bbGolfCoursesScreen.java:

see attached file, look for comments
Code:
// EdK begin added

...thru...

// EdK end added
Let me know if anyone can build and try!
-Ed
Old 02-29-2008, 12:29 AM   #57
Genesis7

Carrier: Tmobile

Can someone please tell me how to use this program? I'm not sure how to map a course and begin to tell how far away I'm from the hole.

I wanted to try it before I get out on the course so I started to map my house but I'm not getting numbers I can understand. Could someone please help explain the screens and actions?
Old 02-29-2008, 01:38 AM   #58
Genesis7

Carrier: Tmobile

I love it!!! I just figured it out...I just didn't wait long enough, to enter a landmark info. THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!!
Old 03-26-2008, 08:19 PM   #59
bubba22

Default Anything New?

Any new advances with file sharing etc? Can we link the app with google maps placement option or do you have to manually enter the coordinates?
Old 03-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #60
knezek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Updates

Quote:
Any new advances with file sharing etc? Can we link the app with google maps placement option or do you have to manually enter the coordinates?
Development Update:
  • The export/save function is working and generates an email containing a google .kml file
  • I am currently writing the import. It scans the devices email for courses and then imports them. I have a golf trip planned for next week, so hopefully I can get it done by then....

I'll post the link here when the new version is available.
Closed Thread