johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: eapple and ham pizza is good
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleland
Call me retarded, but how is this different from just a basic acct setup on BIS?

I will not call you that because it is inconsiderate but I will answer your question.

This setup allows for instant e-mail delivery which BIS does not.

I forward 4 different e-mails into Gmail and get all of them instantly. I get my e-mails within 10 seconds or less of delivery to Gmail. I then POP them with Outlook express for use in my office and archiving/folders. Any e-mail I reply to or send has a set reply to address (not Gmail-it is my company e-mail, I am self employed).

That is why it is better than BIS.
Old 06-14-2006, 06:02 PM   #42
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teemo
anyone? bueller?
I could not even begin to understand your question, that is why I did not answer it last week- sorry. Clear it up and I will take a shot...
Old 06-14-2006, 07:16 PM   #43
teemo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Verizon

I think it's popping vs. forwarding? Fowarding is MUCH faster. Just don't want all the nonsense mailing list stuff.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:27 PM   #44
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I think it's popping vs. forwarding? Fowarding is MUCH faster. Just don't want all the nonsense mailing list stuff.

I am, once again, baffled by your post.

Are you asking if it is forwarding or poping (I see a question mark)?

What is your reference to "mailing list stuff"?

Please take your time and write a descriptive, non-cryptic post and I will try my best to answer what I am thinking is a question about Gmail and bb.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #45
teemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfromphilly
I am, once again, baffled by your post.

Are you asking if it is forwarding or poping (I see a question mark)?

What is your reference to "mailing list stuff"?

Please take your time and write a descriptive, non-cryptic post and I will try my best to answer what I am thinking is a question about Gmail and bb.
Sweet! I'm 2 for 2!!!! Trying for 3 . .

In my last, I was actually trying to help out Jungleland in short order. I had started to compose a response and got sidetracked I think. Either way, you beat me by two posts before I hit submit. Should've quoted him, my bad.

And let me try to rephrase my earlier question for you in the least baffling manner possible.

I've set up gmail to forward to my Verizon/BlackBerry address per the instructions outlined within this thread. I have a filter with a "-" before my address. My reply to is set to my gmail address. Works great as it should. So far, cool.

The problem, however, is that I have many other filters in gmail that tag things based on email address, subject lines, etc. That would be for mailing list type items that I don't need to see right away, but can peruse later when I have time. They don't come to the address specified in the above gmail forward, but to aliases for my domain (I use gmail hosted). So, if they're not coming to my primary address for one, and they're set to skip the inbox altogether anyway (via filter), then why am I still getting them on the blackberry? Even more . . erm, baffling . .is that it's hit or miss with them. Some, but not all end up on my blackberry, yet all have very similar filters.

. . . . That better?

P.s. What do I get if I hit 3?

Last edited by teemo; 06-14-2006 at 08:16 PM..
Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM   #46
koleary19067
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: STORM
PIN: MOBILE
Carrier: VERIZON

Quote:
You get to answer a question from johnfromphilly
Old 06-14-2006, 08:25 PM   #47
teemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by koleary19067
You get to answer a question from johnfromphilly
Nonsense. johnfromphilly doesn't have questions! Do you even know who johnfromphilly is?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:53 PM   #48
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Nonsense. johnfromphilly doesn't have questions! Do you even know who johnfromphilly is?
Who IS Keyser Sxxx246;ze ?

Last edited by johnfromphilly; 06-14-2006 at 09:56 PM..
Old 06-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #49
johnfromphilly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

In my last, I was actually trying to help out Jungleland in short order. I had started to compose a response and got sidetracked I think. Either way, you beat me by two posts before I hit submit. Should've quoted him, my bad.

And let me try to rephrase my earlier question for you in the least baffling manner possible.

I've set up gmail to forward to my Verizon/BlackBerry address per the instructions outlined within this thread. I have a filter with a "-" before my address. My reply to is set to my gmail address. Works great as it should. So far, cool.

The problem, however, is that I have many other filters in gmail that tag things based on email address, subject lines, etc. That would be for mailing list type items that I don't need to see right away, but can peruse later when I have time. They don't come to the address specified in the above gmail forward, but to aliases for my domain (I use gmail hosted). So, if they're not coming to my primary address for one, and they're set to skip the inbox altogether anyway (via filter), then why am I still getting them on the blackberry? Even more . . erm, baffling . .is that it's hit or miss with them. Some, but not all end up on my blackberry, yet all have very similar filters.

. . . . That better?

Good news: you don't have to find out what happens when you get to three..

Bad News: I don't know the answer to your problem. The member who wrote the final instructions ( the ones I currently use) is kbart63 and he may help with the filters. I am not good at filters. I do not remember the "-" before the name part you described. I only have the filters described in the directions.

Hopefully, now that you have explained your problem so well, someone will be able to give you an answer.

By the way, I was not being a smart--- I really did not get what you were saying...good luck!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:06 PM   #50
teemo

Quote:
Who IS Keyser Söze ?
A myth. That or Kevin Spacey. In which case he'd be a *poof*.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:07 PM   #51
teemo

Quote:
Good news: you don't have to find out what happens when you get to three..

Bad News: I don't know the answer to your problem. The member who wrote the final instructions ( the ones I currently use) is kbart63 and he may help with the filters. I am not good at filters. I do not remember the "-" before the name part you described. I only have the filters described in the directions.

Hopefully, now that you have explained your problem so well, someone will be able to give you an answer.

By the way, I was not being a smart--- I really did not get what you were saying...good luck!
Cool. Thanks for trying!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:03 PM   #52
flip

Model: 8700G
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:

Much simpler than you would think...

In the filter that you setup with your from:(-me@gmail.com), just add the addresses (speparated by a space) that you don't want forwarded...

I currently use this setup and it works great.
Old 06-15-2006, 06:04 PM   #53
d-m-k

Model: 9530

I am using BIS 2.0 and an Exchange host for my email. I have a RULE in Outlook/Exchange that "redirects" my mail to Gmail. I then have the filters set to send it to my BB. The email makes its way to gmail and then my BB real nice and fast and gets cleaned with gmail's spam filter; however, there are 2 problems:

1 - ALL of those email have my gmail email address in the TO field, and
2 - If there were other receipients in TO, CC or BCC fields I do not see them

Any ideas?

Thank you.

BB 8700
Old 06-15-2006, 06:17 PM   #54
teemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip
Much simpler than you would think...

In the filter that you setup with your from:(-me@gmail.com), just add the addresses (speparated by a space) that you don't want forwarded...

I currently use this setup and it works great.
Cool. I will give that a go in a bit.

Just for my own edification, the "-" in a gmail filter is telling it NOT to forward mail, correct? If so, then how does this work overall? As in, if the instructions say to set up a basic filter forwarding to the blackberry address, but specify "-me@address.com" . . how does it get forwarded? I would think it WOULDN'T forward those emails, though it's obviously working. Just trying to get my head around the "how" of all this.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:20 PM   #55
conker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 249E86E3
Default "-" in filter

What does "-" in the from filter do?

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:39 PM   #56
calkenneth
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by conker
What does "-" in the from filter do?

Thanks.
It means "everything BUT" so that all emails except for the ones coming from your gmail account will get forwarded to your BB. That way your replies are stored at Gmail in conversation format but your BB doesn't get it again.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:01 PM   #57
flip

Model: 8700G
Carrier: TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by calkenneth
It means "everything BUT" so that all emails except for the ones coming from your gmail account will get forwarded to your BB. That way your replies are stored at Gmail in conversation format but your BB doesn't get it again.
Nail, meet hammer. But it also works for any email address, not just the ones from your GMail.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:33 PM   #58
teemo

Hmmm. I think I get it now that I have had a bit to mull it over.

So the filter to forward to the blackberry was as follows:

Matches: from:(-x@xxx.com)
Do this: Forward to [email address]

That was saying forward EVERYTHING to the blackberry address if I'm understanding correctly. That would explain why I was getting mailing list stuff and such. However, that would also mean since it wasn't truly all the crap I get, that the filter wasn't working perfectly and a bit random.

If I change that to:
Matches: from:(-x@xxx.com) to:(x@xxx.com)
Do this: Forward to [email address]

It should now forward only the stuff sent to the address specified in the "to" part and it shouldn't forward my replies (I have my reply to set in the BIS as the above) that came to the "to" above.

Obviously I'll give it a go (already changed it), but still want to make sure I'm understanding this right.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:40 PM   #59
teemo

The first couple tests from an outside address seem to work. Will post if any changes, but i think I got it now.

Thanks for playing!
Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 AM   #60
pengrus
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
I will not call you that because it is inconsiderate but I will answer your question.

This setup allows for instant e-mail delivery which BIS does not.

I forward 4 different e-mails into Gmail and get all of them instantly. I get my e-mails within 10 seconds or less of delivery to Gmail. I then POP them with Outlook express for use in my office and archiving/folders. Any e-mail I reply to or send has a set reply to address (not Gmail-it is my company e-mail, I am self employed).

That is why it is better than BIS.
Could you please share how you set your Reply to address in this case for 4 different addresses?

Thanks!
Closed Thread