BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:31 AM   #21
jwaters
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Please Login to Remove!

So how do you get a gmail account now? Looks like it's closed for new accounts.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #22
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Pin me with your email address and Ill invite you to get a gmail account I have 50 to give away
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters
Old 06-23-2005, 09:37 AM   #23
Jay2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

I used to forward all my emails from Gmail to my BlackBerry as I was unaware you could use a filter to forward only your inbox!

I changed it last night and it works perfect; all the email in my inbox is instant and stuff that Gmail regards as spam is not! Fantastic!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:01 AM   #24
mingoglia

Model: 7290

I do have been using mine the same way since I got it last week.

I have a corporate account, and I control the mail server. I've found that gmail's spam filtering is much better than mine so I decided to use it to my advantage. I'm set up as follows:

My mail server is set up to forward all mail from my corporate account to my gmail account keeping the original reply to address. My mailbox is also set up to deliver mail locally to my local mailbox. Basically when a message comes in it just keeps a copy locally and forwards to gmail at the same time.

My gmail is set up to then forward and retain the original reply to and sends directly to my blackberry email account.

In short, a message is server side forwarded retaining orginal reply to addresses twice before it hits my blackberry. It works perfect, spam is filtered at gmail and I don't have to deal with it... best of all there's only about a 3-6 second delay when receiving mail.

We own hundreds of domains for Internet marketing purposes. A coworker receives a lot of the info@ emails for many of our domains forwarded to his corporate account. In the a 30 minute window he received 79 spam messages that were filtered out by Google after we set this up. None made it to his blackberry using this method. As you can imagine before using this method the Blackberry was unusable for his corporate account because the thing was buzzing/ringing continually.

As much as I still am a little cold about Gmail's interface and for me the jury is still out on organizing email journal style it's got great spam filtering... I was among the first group to get my grubby little hands on a gmail account and since then I've completely gotten rid of my yahoo and hotmail accounts.

Oh, and I only have 49 left to give out... Because I gave one to myself to dedicate to the blackberry... it's used only for forwarding and spam control...don't even keep a copy of the messages in the gmail account since they also deliver to my corporate account where I can archive them.

Mike
Old 06-23-2005, 04:07 PM   #25
deezmfnutz

Model: STORM
Carrier: vzw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingoglia
As much as I still am a little cold about Gmail's interface and for me the jury is still out on organizing email journal style it's got great spam filtering... I was among the first group to get my grubby little hands on a gmail account and since then I've completely gotten rid of my yahoo and hotmail accounts.
Mike
Mike give it a few weeks. At first I was a little turned off by the unorthodox interface of gmail. However, after a few weeks I really began to dig it. I like the way it organizes threads of conversation replys and how you can get a little tidbit of the body of the message in the subject header inbox view. To top it all off the filtering, spam, forwarding controls are second to none IMHO.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #26
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbyj5
deezmfnutz. thanks for all of the explanation. do you think you could map out a clear set of points or steps for forwarding gmail so it works perfectly. I am interested in replicatiing your set p if you say it works so well for you.

THANKS!!
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. The set-up is VERY simple. You really only NEED one filter and that is this one:
---
Matches: in:inbox
Do this: Forward to [email address]
---
Which I described earlier. Any other filters you implement are for your own satisfaction and organization style. The other filter that is useful is a sent mail filter. In order to implement this you must go into your BIS/BWC account and select the option to forward sent messages to your gmail account then add the following filter:
---
Matches: from:(xxx@yyy.zzz) Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.
Do this: Skip Inbox, Apply label "BLACKBERRY SENT"
---

Where [email address] is the email address that you have set-up for your blackberry from: header. By default this would be [email address] However using the BIS/BWC you can change this to whatever you please e.g. [email address] or [email address] etc etc. The key is that the address in the gmail filter MUST match the address of your BIS/BWC from: field. The addition of the sent wirelessly via Blackberry from T-mobile. Is just an additional modifier so that only my sent mail from my blackberry goes in the blackberry sent filter.

Other than those 2 filters you do not NEED anything else. It should work like a charm. Give it a try if you have any questions or problems please post in this thread for the benefit of everyone who is reading it.
Old 06-23-2005, 09:24 PM   #27
deezmfnutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaters
It is still technically in a beta phase of deployment and accounts are by invitation only. I have a ton of invitations if you want one feel free to PM me here on this message board with your e-mail addy and I will shoot you a invite.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:25 PM   #28
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by deezmfnutz
I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. The set-up is VERY simple. You really only NEED one filter and that is this one:
---
Matches: in:inbox
Do this: Forward to [email address]
---
Where do you put "Matches: in:inbox"? I don't see any field called "matches" in the gmail filters?
Old 06-24-2005, 12:19 AM   #29
Jay2
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7230

You put it in the "Has the words" field.

When you look at Settings>Filters you'll see the Matches bit if you got it right!
Old 06-24-2005, 01:53 AM   #30
dkf747
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8520
Carrier: TMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2
You put it in the "Has the words" field.

When you look at Settings>Filters you'll see the Matches bit if you got it right!
Got it. Didn't see matches until after setting the frilter.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:35 AM   #31
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ?

If I dont care about filtering the mail, meaning i dont get a lot of spam on gmail, then what should I do. just settings>forwarding and pop> and put forward to my blackberry address?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:30 AM   #32
deezmfnutz

Quote:
If I dont care about filtering the mail, meaning i dont get a lot of spam on gmail, then what should I do. just settings>forwarding and pop> and put forward to my blackberry address?
yes forward and keep a copy on gmail.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:52 PM   #33
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: t-mobile

Now if I could only get gmail to add something to the header when it forwards a message.. Ugh.. I wish my BB would let me use multiple froms, and even select the one to use based on who it was to..
Old 06-28-2005, 02:02 AM   #34
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

How do I keep a copy on gmail? I have been using the forward method for a few days and here are my questions/problems.

When I receive the emails on my BB i dont have a copy on gmail, infact there wasn't even a copy in BWC. Also the mail application on my computer that gmail pops to did not recieve the mail when the program was opened. The mail program only began receiving email sent after I opened the program.

Also can you re-explain how to forward my sent mail to my gmail account.

Thanks
Old 06-28-2005, 03:07 AM   #35
jwaters

Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel

Make sure you have forwarding set right in gmail. Go to settings and under Forwarding and POP make sure you have it set to either archive or keep in Inbox. I have it set to archive since there is no reason to keep it in the Inbox. I forward my regular email to gmail, which then forwards to my BB. The spam control is great, I don't get any spam on my BB now. I also use outlook to get the emails from gmail since there are some things I'd like to keep that I can access without internet access, plus I don't get the spam.

I'm not sure why your BWC wouldn't show the emails if you got them on your BB, unless you deleted them and have your BWC set to delete there when you delete on the BB.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:48 AM   #36
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

My mistake, i didnt realise that archived emails go to the "all mail" section in gmail.

Does anyone know why the "mail" application on my mac will only receive emails sent after I open the application? I assume outlook would do the same.

Also can somone explain how I forward the sent mails to gmail, and how it is beneficial to do so..

Last edited by gumbyj5; 06-28-2005 at 03:53 AM..
Old 06-28-2005, 12:00 PM   #37
gumbyj5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bump
Old 06-28-2005, 02:12 PM   #38
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Why are you bumping this back up? Its only been afew hours, and your question no longer deals with blackberries. Its now talking about the ins and outs of gmail. There are boards dedicated to gmail. Google for one or 2 and ask them.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:36 PM   #39
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Well actually it does deal with BBs it has to do with how to get gmail to the blackberry and be able to reply to the mail.

As for the bump I dont understand that.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #40
goaliemn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Does anyone know why the "mail" application on my mac will only receive emails sent after I open the application? I assume outlook would do the same.

Also can somone explain how I forward the sent mails to gmail, and how it is beneficial to do so..
This last message has nothing to do with blackberries.. its about an email client and making it "recieve emails sent after I open the application" or something..
Closed Thread