BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
sabrewulf
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

When I had my Alltel 8703e.. It too was locked, but after subscribing to Telenav and cancelling shortly after, I was able to use the internal GPS fine in BlackBerry Maps.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:16 AM   #22
exprt

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default OK, I may have been wrong

I've been looking around for more information about this GPS thing. I had hopes that modifying firmware with a HEX editor could unlock the GPS. I figured the GPS gets unlocked for 911 calls so it should have the ability to be unlocked through software modification.
However, after reading the following press release Research In Motion I went out to find a definition for assisted GPS. I found the following article Assisted GPS: A Low-Infrastructure Approach - GPS World which indicates the GPS may have network dependencies. As described, the BB could simply be calculating ranges from satellites and passing that information to the network to triangulate location. The real question is what the extent the GPS relies on the network and could software be made to communicate GPS information to another server for location resolution.
For now I’m going to stick with Google maps with My Location. I used it last weekend to find my way to a funeral. When I got in the general area I started it, pressed 0, and had a map of the area I was in.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:44 AM   #23
edislasm

Model: 8130
Carrier: Iusacell (MX)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by exprt View Post
Assisted GPS: A Low-Infrastructure Approach - GPS World[/url] which indicates the GPS may have network dependencies. As described, the BB could simply be calculating ranges from satellites and passing that information to the network to triangulate location. The real question is what the extent the GPS relies on the network and could software be made to communicate GPS information to another server for location resolution.
Hi. I'm a Mechatronics Engineer, a produly owner of a BB 8130 with Iusacell Carrier in Mexico. I also have the problem of disabled GPS.

The "Assisted GPS" or the "GPSOne" works with the triangulation of the antennas of the network. You are right on that. All relatively new phones can do that. But some Blackberries do have a complete GPS chipset. Check at the BB Website, and all those that say "GPS" in specification, refer to an actual satellite-working chipset.

In the case of Iusacell, I paid the subscription to my carrier's Telenav version so I actually had the oportunity to test the GPS. After my subscription expired, I can only to the unaccurated assisted positioning.

Iusacell is not very good in coverage in some areas and last weekend, I drove all the way to Tampico through the Rainforest. I calculated and downloaded the route at home, with network coverage, and had my Blackberry giving me my actual and accurate position at every moment of the journey. I lasted 2 hours without network coverage once and still my Telenav was working perfectly. SO THE GPS DEVICE IS COMPLETELY INDEPENDENT OF THE NETWORK!!.

I think this problem can be hacked and I will try.

And by the way. A GPS that works without coverage is still very usefull. You can download the maps online using "gMapMaker", save them to your MicroSD, and use them with "Mobile GMaps".
Old 03-29-2008, 07:08 PM   #24
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Can you elaborate on

And by the way. A GPS that works without coverage is still very usefull. You can download the maps online using "gMapMaker", save them to your MicroSD, and use them with "Mobile GMaps".

That would be of interest to many here .
Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #25
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

In the gps section i posted the application that allows for offline viewing of GPS maps and directions. its called Mobile GMaps. And I am curious how your carrier locked the GPS to TeleNav. its used on many other carriers but doesnt require the GPS to be unlocked. I think perhaps your GPS may be enabled and it was a setting after the trail expired.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 PM   #26
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog View Post
Can you elaborate on

That would be of interest to many here .
I have not tried that one but trekbuddy also permits use of maps saved to an sd card. You have to plan ahead to get the maps needed.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #27
bml137

Default Geocaching

Those that think you can't use a GPS without maps have never heard of Geocaching.

There is also the option of having a full mapping program on an SD card. Mapopolis did this in the past. I guess GMaps follows the same principle.

Also, to contribute to the GPS vs AGPS. GPS stands for global positioning system. It does not assume satellite or tower. A real GPS is a satellite-based GPS. I like to call cell-tower-based GPS fake. I would like to see the fake GPSs in the middle of the ocean or in Antarctica.

That said, the 8130, from what I understand, has a real GPS. Verizon disabling it is about as anti-competitive move as I've ever seen. It is worse than Microsoft forcing OEMs to pay for Windows per machine (whether it is install or not) and it is worse than Rockefeller oil refineries. Verizon spent money and paid RIM who knows how much money to go out of their way to cripple the device in order to extort more money out of their customers with a "service". Other companies lock their own formats (like MS Office). Verizon locks other company's products. It is just so freakin' wrong.

I like to geocache, and at no expense to their network, I can't even do that without my BT GPS. I have a BT GPS because I have for a couple years now. It would just be nice to have 1 device to carry around.

Last edited by bml137; 04-03-2008 at 03:25 PM..
Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM   #28
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Meh -- it's why I don't bother with them. It's nothing new. They've crippled devices and charged their users to enable built-in features for years. I don't see the point in griping about it but YMMV. As long as people willingly give them their business there's no reason for them to change.

Last edited by takeshi; 04-08-2008 at 01:23 PM..
Old 05-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #29
edislasm

Well, I have not tried Geocaching software but in Mobile GMaps (Mobile GMaps - View maps from various sources on your mobile phone!) there is the software, and it has the option of getting the maps from the card. You need additionally a software called gMapMaker where you specify the coordinates you want to save, the format you want, and the service (Google Maps, etc). Then this programs imports the maps and that's it. You can even import it to an image file. I've not tried gMapMaker though.

And the exciting news is that I fixed the locked GPS problem. My GPS was locked if I didn't have a Telmap license, but my provider offers a tiny application that runs on the background and "cheats" this so I get GPS in all applications!. I will upload the app shortly so you can test it in a Vz phone. :P
Old 06-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #30
tarheel23
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Did he ever upload the app?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:28 PM   #31
edislasm

Default File

Hi there,

here is the file. The program was deployed by another program from my service provider, so there is no known OTA link, nor alx files. The file is cod and you need to save it to your Blackberry using javaloader.

The program runs in the background. This program was made by Iusacell, so it might have some authentication method and might not work on other carriers, so please test it and give feedback.

Once the program is installed i suggest restarting, and then try it with Google Maps, or other program. Remember that you might have to wait 1 minute for the program (GMaps, etc) to get the first coordinate.

I discovered that with this application, the GPS works only if I don't have a Telmap license. If I have a valid Telmap license, I need to have Telmap running for other applications to be able to see the GPS coordinates.

The file can be downloaded from http://rdo.dj/GpsIusacell.cod

Regards
Old 06-18-2008, 02:30 PM   #32
kevev

The file is empty. Can you upload again?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:26 PM   #33
edislasm

Ok, try again now.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #34
kevev

not working. Verizon 8703e using mobile Gmaps. I do not have the Verizon GPS service on my bill. Do you know if this will enable the GPS without paying Verizon to enable it?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:16 PM   #35
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

no it wont
Old 06-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #36
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

you have to pay for it, open the application, then open another GPS application, and THEN you can use whatever GPS app you want. Of course, a much easier solution is just to use an external GPS puck
Old 06-19-2008, 01:37 PM   #37
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Or if you are paying for it, just use VZ Nav, it really is a nice program.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:38 PM   #38
Dawg
No longer Registered.

PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

agreed nick
Closed Thread