Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #1
Tapdance42
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default How to eject device?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but I recently started using my Curve with PocketMac for Blackberry. I'm able to plug in the device and sync my contacts, but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to eject it! I've tried just unplugging, but I get a message saying that the device was not ejected properly, and none of my new contacts have transferred to the phone. I've looked everywhere for some sort of "eject" option, but no luck. Where is it?

The error message says to select my device from the finder menu, but it isn't there, and the Blackberry doesn't show up as an icon the way my iPod does. How do I eject my device? I've successfully transferred contacts in the past, so I know it's there somewhere, but I'm blanking. Help!
Old 10-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
sbbytor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9550

your device will show up on the desktop as an icon. Before you unplug it just drag the icon to the trash then it's safe to unplug.

I would scrap Pocketmac and go with DM for Mac. Much better option.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

You can open a new Finder window and see your BlackBerry on the left as a mounted drive. There should be an eject icon next to it, but if not (sometimes they just don't show the eject icon), right-click on the BlackBerry icon and choose "Eject" from the drop down menu.
Old 10-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #4
Tapdance42

There is no Blackberry icon on the desktop, and when I open a new finder window, my Blackberry does not show up in the list on the left. I'm definitely connected, though--the Blackberry screen says that it's transferring data, and PocketMac is prompting me to choose what information I want to transfer to my device. I've done this about five times, and it's says "transferring" every time, but then I have no way to eject, and when I unplug my device the new contacts still haven't transferred!
Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

Do you have a memory card?

Do you have Mass Storage Mode enabled (Options > Memory)?

You should also have "Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected" set to Prompt.
Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Tapdance42

I do have a memory card, and Mass Storage Mode is enabled.

I restarted my computer, and my Blackberry now shows up as a little white square-shaped icon with "unknown" written underneath it. I was able to drag this icon to the trash and successfully eject the device. However, my contacts still are not transferring! I get a message saying that the sync is complete, but when I eject, the new contacts still are not there. I just added about 100 new business contacts to my computer, and it would be very frustrating/time consuming to add all of these to the Blackberry manually.

Suggestions?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Yes. Uninstall PocketMac, which is notoriously unstable and iffy, and install the new BlackBerry Desktop for Mac as sbbytor mentioned. Google or it can be found here:

BlackBerry - Desktop Software for Mac

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #8
Tapdance42

Are there other software options? I uninstalled PocketMac and tried to install DM for Mac, but got an error message stating that it was not compatible with my operating system. So frustrating!!
Old 10-25-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

What Mac OS are you running, and on what hardware? What about on the BB? Press Menu->Options->About..

BB Desktop for Mac requirements:

* BlackBerry smartphone
o BlackBerry® Device Software version 4.2 and later
o A media card or on-board device memory to synchronize music from the Mac computer to the BlackBerry smartphone
* Computer
o Mac OS 10.5 and later
o An active Internet connection
o A user account with administrative privileges
* iTunes® library
o iTunes version 7.7.1 and later to synchronize music from the Mac computer to the BlackBerry smartphone

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 10-26-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
Tapdance42

My Blackberry is a few months old, and is running v4.5.077. I have an iBook G4 and am running Mac OS 10.4 with Tiger. Unfortunately, a new computer isn't in my budget right now, so I'd like to find a way to sync my contacts on my current machine. There must be some way to do it, short of entering everything manually...right?
Old 10-27-2009, 02:02 AM   #11
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ya, there's a way. I know PocketMac is free, but I found it quite flaky. Have you tried MissingSync for BB? I know it's a paid app, but I have had much better success with MS then with PM. Just make sure you back up all you contacts on the laptop before sync-ing, just in case something borks.

Another option (free) is Google Sync. I haven't tried it, but apparently it syncs your AddressBook and iCal to Google, and then to your BB. Seems to have pretty good reviews. See these links:

How To Sync your BlackBerry Bold with a Mac (the only solution that REALLY works) | LucaFiligheddu.com

Google Sync on your mobile phone

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
Tapdance42

Thank you! I actually knew about Missing Sync, but a lot of the reviews I'd read made it sound like it wasn't a whole lot better than PocketMac, so I was hesitant to pay $40 for it. I didn't know Google Sync even existed, but I just downloaded it and was able successfully transfer my contacts in a matter of minutes. Thanks again!!
Old 10-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #13
weath
Thumbs Must Hurt

Glad it worked for you!

Edmund Burke 1729-1797
Closed Thread