Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Be Careful What You Wish For - WiFi HotSpot

Please Login to Remove!

BB 9900
T-Mobile
Bundle 2900 v7.0.0.540 Platform 5.0.0.604

So, I tried 9900jAsia_PBr7.1.0_rel196_PL5.1.0.75_A7.1.0.74.exe

Yes, it installs the without a problem

Reboot laptop, reboot 9900, connect with USB cable.

Now the damn thing insists that it can't find the Exchange server. Funny, I've never been attached to a BES or Exchange with this computer.

First, we try to connect using the Mobile Internet tethered connection in Blackberry Desktop 6.1.0.5

Dosen’t connect.

“Failed to start Mobile Internet. A computer to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to check the network settings for this connection. Please check your profile settings and make sure your radio is turned on. This service might also have been turned off by your wireless service provider or your administrator.”

Ya, that’s it. Worked just fine on 7.0.0.540. Bounced back and forth a couple of times. 540 yes, .74 no.

Now we go to the manage connection screens, and there it is – Mobile Hotspot, right between Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. No listing for NFC yet.

Setting up the HotSpot is very easy, although the SSID is randomly set every time the OS is installed. It is always Mobile Hotspot nnnn, where nnnn is a four digit number. At least I hope it is persistent to some effect, otherwise setting a profile on a laptop would be pointless. Doesn't look like you can change the SSID, but setting the security passphrase was very easy, and there are some interesting options.

Connect laptop to “Mobile Hotspot 8914” , success.

Moment of truth, open Internet Explorer

offers.t-mobile.com/tethering/upsell.do?source=pcweb

That’s right friends, it’s a walled garden

The FAQ is found at

offers.t-mobile.com/tethering/admin/faq.jsp

Click here to learn more gets you to

offers.t-mobile.com/tethering/plans.do?source=pcweb

So that’s it. $15.00/month.

Turn off Mobile Hotspot connection, and tethering to the 9900 with a USB cable now works.

I’ll let someone else start the conversation about the price of this puppy.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Be Careful What You Wish For - WiFi HotSpot

You thought it was free?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
aluck

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A

No, I think their "justification" for this charge makes absolutely no sense.

From the FAQ:

Why does Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing cost extra?
In our efforts to make web access affordable to everyone we set our pricing based on the typical usage scenarios we expect. In the case of a shared connection we almost always see more usage than folks who use the phone for regular not shared uses. Please note that standard T-Mobile Terms and Conditions prohibit tethering a phone to a computer, but by adding the Phone Tethering & Wi-Fi Sharing service you are able to do this.

Can I use this for my home network? Is this unlimited?
This is an added service to your existing mobile data plan. It's designed for on the go and occasional home use xxx8211; you may us it in your home but some of the typical home web behaviors (movies, music streaming) may cause you to reach your high speed data threshold at which point we'll reduce the bandwidth.

So I'm already PAYING for the alloted data quota (2GB in my case), after which they will throttle the speed. If my usage pattern goes over the quota, that's my problem. If I need more quota, I can go to T-Mobile and add quota ( 2GB to 5GB = $10.00) (5GB to 10GB = $30.00) On the basis of how data is a commodity being charged for already, what exactly am I getting for $15.00 per month?

And I do not now and have never understood the difference between data into the phone, and tethered data. Bits is bits.

Last edited by aluck; 11-27-2011 at 10:38 PM..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
aluck

Oh, and the Calling part doesn't do hand-offs very well at all.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
aluck

Yeah, yeah I know. The plan data prices are based on many (most) users never coming close to their limits, because they're only doing email and surfing the web, maybe. So the net average user actually only uses 15% of the quota, so the quota is priced more or less for everyone on the basis of say 35% average usage. Heavy users get subsidized, very light users pay too much. If T-Mobile is encouraging user in their commercials to do all this kool stuff, how long before they have to raise these rates to adjust for new usage patterns. Unless they already have a healthy profit margin in their price structure.

(All numbers are for illustration only, and have no basis in reality. If someone knows what those numbers should be, I'd be fascinated.}

Last edited by aluck; 11-27-2011 at 10:56 PM..
Old 11-27-2011, 10:55 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

There is no handoff. It is wifi only. Not UMA.
Do other carriers charge for Wifi Hotspots?
Old 11-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #7
aluck

Don't know.

What I do know is that TMO Mobile Broadband plans,
which are certainly set up for users who would otherwise use a phone-based mobile hotspot, are
2GB = $30.00 5GB = $40.00 10GB = $70.00 "Value Plans", so not subsidizing the cost of the device.

Looking at the standard value plan costs
IF 0 GB = 0.00 , then 200 MB = $5.00 2 GB = $10.00 5 GB = $25.00 10 GB = $55.00

Okay, it looks like their margin for Mobile Broadband vs. Phone Data use is $15.00 to $25.00.

Okay, I withdraw some of my objection. I don't think I would use it very often, so its not something that has value to me.

UMA calling. Are you telling me that the 9900 is a step down from my old 8900?
Old 11-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

No, I am telling you that the WiFi dialing in 9900 is not the same as UMA.

This has been in discussion since the 9900 came out. Given your detailed analysis of the finances of their plans, I'm surprised you didn't know this.

I would NEVER trade the 9900 back for either the 8900 or the 9700. Even without UMA.
Closed Thread