BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #1
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Win Extra Spending Dough in BBF's "12 Days of Christmas" Giveaway!

Please Login to Remove!

Win Extra Spending Dough in BBF's "12 Days of Christmas" Giveaway!

BlackBerryForums.com wants you to have some extra spending money for the holidays!

Post in this thread your most memorable gift you ever gave anyone (since Christmas is about giving more so than receiving) OR post the details of a notable holiday memory you might wish to share with us.

Winners will be randomly selected by the BBF moderators, with preference given to the most meaningful posts or those showing a generosity of the heart!
  • $150 First Prize - Amazon.com Gift Certificate.
  • Four winners of a $25 - Amazon.com Gift Certificate
This contest will run from December 7th 2011, for 12 days through December 18th, at which time this thread will be locked and the winners announced within 48 hours (by December 20th). AND, prizes will be promptly awarded to a valid email address the winner provides.

Winners must be able to accept or use an Amazon Gift Certificate sent via email to you, redeemable per Amazon's Terms and Conditions listed here:

Redemption. Gift Cards must be redeemed toward the purchase of eligible products on www.amazon.com, or its affiliated websites www.endless.com, www.myhabit.com, and fresh.amazon.com. Redemption of Gift Cards on our affiliated websites is subject to change in our sole discretion. Purchases are deducted from the Gift Card balance. Any unused balance will be placed in the recipient's Gift Card account when redeemed. If an order exceeds the amount of the Gift Card, the balance must be paid with a credit card or other available payment method. Amazon.com may provide Gift Card purchasers with information about the redemption status of Gift Cards that they purchase. To view Gift Card balances, visit "Your Account" on Amazon.com.

Limitations.
  • Gift Cards may not be redeemed for the purchase of products at Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, Amazon.fr, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.ca, or any other website operated by Amazon.com, its affiliates, or any other person or entity, except as indicated by these terms and conditions.
  • Gift Cards cannot be used to purchase other gift cards.
  • Gift Cards cannot be reloaded, resold, transferred for value, redeemed for cash or applied to any other account, except to the extent required by law. Unused Gift Card balances in an Amazon account may not be transferred.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Default Re: Win Extra Spending Dough in BBF's "12 Days of Christmas" Giveaway!

Good luck to all who enter. I can't wait to read the replies.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:33 PM   #3
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

Best gift i got was a 9700 2 years ago. I had an 8700 and everyone else had a better phone. I was good and santa gave me one of the BEST gifts I could ever want.

Best gift given

years ago I gave a friend, that had no money left and was on welfare going to school full time, a set of tires for the car. Also a rebuilt PC, a couch, chairs and my guest bed after the water bed broke. Tears were shown and a big hug was given. I even invited the kids to my family xmas party and made sure there were gifts for them to open.

I miss my friend and the kids but they needed to move back to home state near family a year later due to illness.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM   #4
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I've given some extravagant gifts over the years, especially to my wife. But those pale in comparison to someone I gave a smartphone to years ago. I was deep in my Treo phase and had just joined a forum. Another member was trying to find a good used Treo to keep in touch with her husband who just went on deployment overseas. Folks were offering her great deals on their old used kit, but she was an army wife and even a cheap phone was expensive to her.

I set her up with a new Treo 650 (the best they had at the time) and paid for a 1-year data plan to go with it. Even back in the olden days of Treos, that lineup was very good for taking/sending quick videos. The resolution was low but quality was surprisingly decent. And it was both quick and easy to share a short video message. It had quite an impact on the recipient, and that had an impact on me. Those were the go-go years on Wall Street and I was making so much while the families of soldiers were struggling just to keep their heads above water. This lead to an even deeper involvement for me with military charities and assistance programs. For me, that's what the spirit of Christmas is really all about.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
fourstringfuror
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Q10
Carrier: VZW

It wasn't the most expensive gift, but then that's not really the point is it?

My wife was very interested in Amy Brown fairies a few years ago - drawings, figurines, etc. I discovered that a friend from work knew Amy personally. She talked to Amy and told me that not only could I buy a limited edition painting, but Amy Brown would sign it for my wife and send it back to me.

Needless to say, my wife was thrilled. That was a very, very good Christmas.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:20 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

I've never been a really good gift-giver, but there is one that I definitely got right. The last few years have been very tough on my sister and brother-in-law financially since he got out of the Navy. During these years, I've generally tried to give them things that would either meet a need they had or provide them with some diversion. My nephews had both been attending a private pre-school that focused on developing artistic ability and creativity. Last year, my youngest nephew (aged 4 at the time) was in his last year there, and my sister had finally reached the point where the school would have to be removed from the budget. My nephew really loved the place, and when my sister had to explain to him that he may not be able to go for the last 5 months (January-May), he was apparently quite heartbroken. She asked me if I could possibly pay for a month or two, and she would try to figure the rest out. I decided that I would pay for the whole thing as I was financially able to do so and I felt very strongly that he should continue at that school. I told her that I probably could do it, asked her how much it was a month and asked for the address of the school so that I could send them a check directly through my bank's bill paying system. I didn't tell her that I had paid for the whole thing, but they apparently called and asked her about the check because of the amount, which gave her a great surprise and thrill, and allowed my nephew to carry on as if nothing had happened, which is what I wanted.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:27 AM   #7
berryapp
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers Canada

I gave a bike to my son. It was his first bike and he loved it a lot. Unfortunately, while running around, he fell on the paddle of the bike. He cut his eye lid a little, but it was not too bad.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

A lot of excellent posts so far! I always love hearing stories like this. It's truly what the season is about.

For me, Christmas isn't the same anymore. On December 10th last year, my younger brother passed away at 25 years old. The funeral was on the 17th, and Christmas was not the same. This year, the pain is still there and there isn't any gift to ease that. My mom has been devastated as she lost her husband a few years prior and now her youngest son. As hard as this has been for me, I can't begin to imagine how hard it's been for her. So, this year for Christmas, I have been giving her a gift that can't be measured in monetary value, I have been giving her the gift of time. I have been driving down there as much as I can to visit her to help get her mind off of this time of year.

To me, this season reminds me to cherish the time you have with your loved ones as tomorrow is never promised. Don't wait until tomorrow to tell them that you love them or how much they mean to you, what's stopping you from doing it today?!

Have a safe and happy holiday season!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 12-14-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

Best gift given by me (from my perspective) was a Christmas morning pearl necklace (ala ZZ Top)
Old 12-14-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
imobetta

Model: 9800
Carrier: FIDO / Rogers

The best gift I recieved and gave away was the news that I was pregnant!
Old 12-14-2011, 02:20 PM   #11
miztrniceguy

Model: 8900
Carrier: att

Our son is the most memorable gift. Born 6 ears ago today.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:46 AM   #12
acrossthepond

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

Good morning.....

When I was little we used to put extra money in the church koffers when they passed around the basket, this was for the "poor" familys in the neighbourhood that could not afford Christmas. Food baskets were then purchased by the church for them.

It wasn't until I woke up before my mother and father one Christmas and went to look out the back door. It was there that I saw the basket, it was then that I realized that we were one of those familys.

So...every Christmas for me was special, and it made me appreciate everything that I have in my life.

Happy Holidays everyone!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #13
Medic48
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9810
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

The best gift that I gave was an engagement ring to my financée:

I had picked the perfect ring and held on to it for some time trying to find what would be the perfect occasion to give it to her. Many times I thought I had it, but something would always come up and skew the moment making it not so perfect. Too make matters worse, I was scheduled to be deployed in an international operation in the upcoming weeks.

It was Christmas Eve, and my fiancée's parents exchange gifts at that time. I decided, I want to express my love for her in front of her family. So I was up, and in true fashion, I wrapped it in a very large box, fitted with a lot of magazines (making it feel very heavy) and some rattlers (so it sounds like there was a whole bunch of stuff in there).

She unwrapped the "big box", and to her surprise another box. After another 2 or 3 boxes, she looked at me with a glare. Everyone enjoying themselves at her "despair" of trying to get to the bottom of this gift. Eventually, she opens the gift with all the "rattlers" in it, and inside that box was the ring. After fishing she found the box.

I'm thinking "OMG, this is it, am I ready?" As she opens it up, the rooms goes quiet and tears fill her eyes and a big huge grin comes over her face.

... The best gift I received on Christmas? She said Yes!

--Phil
Old 12-21-2011, 08:56 AM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Thank you all for participating! Wonderful stories and a couple of them even made your hard-hearted moderator gang get a little wet in the eye!

Here are the winners:

First Prize $150 - Jsconyers
Runners up $25 - dc/dc, Rambo, Knottyrope, Medic48

Congrats! If you each would kindly send me a PM with your email address to which I can send the Amazon Gift Certificate, we shall get these prizes distributed!

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Happy New Year!
Closed Thread