Old 05-23-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
Actually, that post is one of the most ignorant, short-sighted posts I've read as of late.
LMFAO@U. You are just too funny. It's so cute how angry my posts make you, especially when they are totally valid and true. I honestly feel like I should take you on a date for the amount of joy you bring to my life sweetheart. <3
Old 05-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #22
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimix View Post
Dont quite agree with the analogy. Yes, not getting a data plan for a BlackBerry device is not making full use the device's capability. Heck, it might even be a disservice. But is it damaging it in anyway? No, because as we've seen throughout this forum, everyone's needs are a bit different.

If people want a smartphone but don't want a data plan, what's wrong with getting a BlackBerry? It's a good device, intuitive when you learn it, and there's a relatively good support base for it. You also mentioned the issue of price -- why should being able to afford the device have anything to do with being able to afford a data plan? Those are two separate issues. For the same price as a BlackBerry (assuming with new line of service price), you can get a nice cell phone and PDA, for which the smartphone was designed to replace both. People might think it's worth it.

I think your analogy would have been better if you said getting a BB without a data plan is like buying a GT2 and ONLY using it to go grocery shopping on the weekends.
And that is all well and good, but there are far too many people that skip the data plan but think their device is going to have the same capabilities as a correctly provisioned one, and it won't. If a person goes into it knowing that they will have reduced capability, then more power to them.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #23
Trimix
BlackBerry Master

Model: 8320
PIN: infarina
Carrier: of alotta bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
And that is all well and good, but there are far too many people that skip the data plan but think their device is going to have the same capabilities as a correctly provisioned one, and it won't. If a person goes into it knowing that they will have reduced capability, then more power to them.
Agreed. Now let's get back to the forums and watch out for those new posts that go something like: "Hiiiiii guys. New BB owner here. Lurv the device!!! How come I can't get online and receive emails??? Please dont bite, I'm new "
Old 05-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #24
poiuytrewq

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Here's the post you were looking for

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
We can go over the details of this till we are blue in the face..

Someone somewhere will find a "logical" reason for themselves to get a BB without a data plan, and when their carrier doesn't let them, I am sure we will see a post.

(Kinda reminds me of those old Bud Light Real Men of Genius commercials.. We salute you Mr. BlackBerry w/o a Data plan user guy, Sure you could surf the web or check your emails but what do you do? Make phone calls) Those were some funny commercials... and I could keep going lol.

--

People can do w/e they want and they will... as long as they don't attempt to change my life/judge me with their beliefs were good.

My personal phone plan is with Verizon and my company's phone plan is with AT&T. I am up for my new every two with Verizon. I would like to get the Storm, unlock it and use it with AT&T as my company phone (my current company phone is a curve) and keep my current Verizon phone. I already have a data plan with my company for the BB and have no use or need for the plan with Verizon.

I realize that this isn't how it's supposed to work anyways, but if I was doing the exact opposite, I would be able to get a BB through AT&T without the data plan.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #25
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

you are going to have to get the data plan on the storm there is no way around it. You can cheat and cancel it once you unlock it for ATT. But why burn your renewal just to cheat the system
Old 05-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #26
poiuytrewq

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

I wouldn't exactly call it burning my renewal. I like the phone I have now with Verizon, and am unable to get a Storm with AT&T. Verizon's "upgrade" of the phone that I have now has proven to be a downgrade with the majority of its reviews.

I also wouldn't exactly calling it cheating. The reason Verizon gives you a deal on the phone is so that you sign up for another two years with them and for being a previous two year customer with them. At 50 bucks a month, I think that $1200 and another two year committment should entitle me to some sort of a perk. Whether I choose to take that phone and give it to someone, throw it down a toilet or sell it for drugs should be of no importance to them.

If I cancel, I will have to pay the early cancellation fee, which also defeats the purpose of what I am trying to accomplish.

I guess I was just trying to prove the point that there are cases where someone doesn't necessarily want the data plan because of other motives and still intends on using the blackberry for its "intended purpose".
Old 05-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #27
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

well if you want it from verizon you will need the data plan doesnt matter what you want.

and BTW for all the negatives on the storm I can fin the same amount of positives.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 PM   #28
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiuytrewq View Post
My personal phone plan is with Verizon and my company's phone plan is with AT&T. I am up for my new every two with Verizon. I would like to get the Storm, unlock it and use it with AT&T as my company phone (my current company phone is a curve) and keep my current Verizon phone. I already have a data plan with my company for the BB and have no use or need for the plan with Verizon.

I realize that this isn't how it's supposed to work anyways, but if I was doing the exact opposite, I would be able to get a BB through AT&T without the data plan.
You could buy a Storm from eBay or other places without getting it through Verizon. And you could use it on AT&T. Other folks here are doing that.
Closed Thread