Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:40 AM   #1
Nick Vreugdenhil

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: NTT DoCoMo
Unhappy Password Keeper "old password" error

Please Login to Remove!

Just upgraded my Bold 9000 to OS 5. Now after I enter the Password Keeper it gives me "A password entry created on xx/xx/xxxx is protected by an old password. Please enter the old password to convert the entry". Seen this before after upgrading, but this time the previous password doesn't work.

Can't seem to find a way to get this fixed, anyone else know a way? Sure hate to lose all those passwords...
Old 08-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Welcome to the new group.

There's no magic to this. As you say, enter the password you were using. Maybe you thought you were entering a number when you were really entering the letter on that key, or vice versa . . . Whatever. But there's no way around it, but entering the correct password.
Old 08-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #3
Nick Vreugdenhil

Thanks. But that is not the issue. The same password is actually getting me into the Password Keeper so I am obviously entering it correctly. And I have now tried many times using different variations, with no good result. Also I have talked to three other users around me who recently upgraded their Bold 9000's to OS 5, and they all have the same issue -- all their passwords are now inaccessible.

Looks like it is too late for me, but just for any others out there, make sure you have a copy of all your password data somewhere OUTSIDE of Password Keeper before upgrading to OS 5. Kind of defeats the purpose of keeping them safely encrypted though, so I sure wish someone would fix the issue.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:10 AM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I don't understand what you are saying. Can you open password keeper or not? If you can and it is empty, that's a different problem, and maybe all you have to do is selectively restore the password keeper database from a backup file.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 08-23-2010, 07:12 PM   #5
Nick Vreugdenhil

When I open the Password Keeper application, I enter my password (same one as before upgrading my device software) and enter successfully. So far so good.

But then without letting me see any contents it comes up with the message "A password entry created on xx/xx/xxxx is protected by an old password. Please enter the old password to convert the entry". It gives me a password field and buttons for "OK", "Cancel", and "Delete Entry". My previous password does not work here (it comes back with "Incorrect Password" and asks me to re-enter). "Cancel" backs me out of the Password Keeper altogether, and "Delete Entry" deletes that one and I get presented with the same error message for the next entry in the Password Keeper. So it would eventually let me in only once I had deleted all my passwords one at a time -- not what I want!

As I mentioned in the original post, I have seen the same error message on a previous upgrade, but just entering my old password was all that was needed. Not this time.

Let me know any thoughts as it looks to me like this is not how the application is supposed to behave.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Ok. I understand now, but don't get it. My experience has always been what you experienced in the past . . . I see that message when I first open password keeper, or at least that's the way I remember it. But you are not seeing it upfront; only after you you have entered password keeper. Weird.

I don't have a good answer. Some things that come to mind, in order of hassel factor:

- Selectively delete the password keeper database and selectively restore the password keeper database from an older backup than the one you used before. Then try again.

- Try deleting password keeper, hard reset, then reinstall password keeper, then selective restore of password keeper database from last backup file. And try again.

- Or, do a security wipe, then restore from backup, and try again.

- Or, wipe with JL_CMDER, resintall OS, restore backup, and try again.

Just guesses.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Did you try your current password?

I get this old entry message every update and just enter the current password. Works every time and the message goes away. Of course, I dont change the master password, so there isnt an "old password". If you havent changed the master password, it should just be your current password.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #8
Nick Vreugdenhil

Yes I tried my current password, it doesn't work and that is the problem.

You are right, in past upgrades I have had the same experience as you and my current password worked. This time is different, which is why I think there is something funny about the upgrade to OS5 that is causing a problem.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
TravisBB

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

I am having the same problem. I've had it for about three weeks now. I have become reliant on the Password Keeper. When I open Password Keeper now, it says "A password entry created on 4/14/2010 is protected by an old password. Please enter the old password to convert the entry." When I try and enter the 'old' password, it doesn't work. When I enter what should be the 'current' password, it doesn't work either. I need to get at my passwords. Does anyone have a fix? I am afraid to select "Delete Entry" because I feel like it is deleting my passwords one by one. I actually had my IT department get me another BlackBerry 9630 and transfer all my data, and the same thing happens on the replacement (I was hoping this would fix it).
Old 09-05-2010, 06:39 PM   #10
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Vreugdenhil View Post
Yes I tried my current password, it doesn't work and that is the problem.

You are right, in past upgrades I have had the same experience as you and my current password worked. This time is different, which is why I think there is something funny about the upgrade to OS5 that is causing a problem.
You update from 4.x to 5.x? If you have a backup of your password keeper entries, wipe the device (I usually do a backup and then blow out the OS so the BB has the 507 error and then load the new OS) and install the OS. Then import the password keeper file from a backup. Not sure it will work, but I had a few strange things happen when I did an update from 4.x to 5.x without wiping out the OS first
Old 09-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'm wondering if the fix might be just to clear the password keeper database with desktop manager and then restore from an old backup. At least try that before wiping the device.

I guess either way there's a chance of ending up in the same spot after a restore. If so, and if you have kept old backup files, maybe try successively older backup files and maybe one will work.