BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
meerkhan

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodaphone UK, Etisalat Dubai & Telenor PK
Angry Have no data plan but somehow loosing credit balance by an unknown application

Please Login to Remove!

Dear All,

I am facing a very unique problem as far as my knowledge on blackberries is concerned. I have surfed through plenty of websites and haven’t been able to fine any solutions for it yet. The problem is that if I use a pay as you go Sim which is also known as a pre paid Sim, the credit balance goes in the drain at some certain rate even if I don’t use the phone. I would check the balance just before hitting bed and in the morning between 1 to 2 pounds would detect from the total balance.

In detail, I bought a Bold 9000 from Vodafone UK and then got it unlocked. Since my plan was to do some international travelling so I decided not to go for any service plan until I get back to London in a few months time. I used the phone without any data plan for about a month in England and didn’t face this issue. Then for a week I was in Turkey and used a local sim from there and my blackberry was fine. I stayed in Dubai for a month later and once again used a local sim of UAE without having such a problem.

Now I have come to Pakistan 2 weeks back and have started using a local Pay as you go sim for calls and text messages only. For 10 days it went perfectly great and I did not loose any unwanted balance from my account but then I realized there could be something running in the back ground that would drain the credits perhaps via GPRS.

Just to let you know iam using version 4.6.0.303 (platform 4.0.0.248). i have also been installing and deleting via pc some third party installations such as games and other applications. My understanding is that some application might be running in the back ground that forces to uses data which ends up in resulting loosing credit balance. I have checked there aren’t any applications running in the background whatsoever and besides with a data plan one can’t use the applications anyways on a Bold.

To cure the problem, I have tried doing more or less all sorts of things such as,

1. Deleting all the third party soft wares from the BBY.

2. Restarted the blackberry by using “ctrl + alt +del” option and also by taking the battery out for more than a minute.

3. I have formatted and reinstalled the complete firmware but even that didn’t help.

4. Have also disabled the Push Browser, GPS and all sorts of other applications that could access the data by anyway but nothing seems to work and resolve my issue.

I would heartily appreciate if someone could help me out resolve the problem.

Best Regards,

AJ
Old 01-15-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

easy
options - mobile network - data services = OFF

as an added measure go to
options - advanced - TCP/IP
and remove anything there, so all is blank.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #3
meerkhan

cheers mate but have tried doing that as well but no use ..... tcp/ip is all blank anyway
Old 01-15-2010, 05:47 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

then its not data.
If data services are OFF, no data application can use data.
It simply is impossible.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
meerkhan

i totally agree with u and thats y i said its a unique problem ..... ive already tried more or less everything ...

thanks once again though
Old 01-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Some carriers, not all but some, charge for non use and the minutes go bye bye after a pre determined day after the pre-paid service is started or reloaded. That way they keep you buying. I would check with the carrier you bought the service from.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 AM   #7
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Seconded. Call the carrier. They can tell you where your money went
Old 01-16-2010, 02:56 AM   #8
meerkhan

alright then . . . ill try to get hold of the carrier and will let you know .. . . not a bad idea

cheers all
Closed Thread