word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: up
Carrier: T-Mob

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZWTech
Some people have had this work correctly (at least from what I read from posts on this forum), having VZW reps add broadband features on their accounts, while others have been told other information (ranging from the BB is not broadband capable at all, to this being available on December 1st for consumers). Again, as of right now, there is no official date on when this feature will become available in the consumer channel. Those with consumer accounts that have proceeded with the update, may (and probably will) run into a lot of problems, ranging from slow connection speeds, bouncing service, and 'Data Connection Refused' errors.
what about those with a B2B account - can you provide any information that will make sure that people have the correct features set up? I have a B2B account, and I have EVDO ACCESS on my account, in addition to NATIONAL ACCESS ROAM.

As of this morning, I was still receiving DATA CONNECTION REFUSED errors, but after speaking with a Data Tech Rep, and doing the ##000000 thing I described above, I haven't experienced it. Time will tell if that is a permanent fix (hopefully it is).
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 AM   #242
Hanwei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Sooooo... hello all.

I've been in Boston since late Saturday night... but also sick since Saturday night... so I haven't posted anything since... but... here goes...

I haven't talked to a single verizon rep since I've returned to Boston... which is a good thing for my mental health I think...

Anyway... So...once I entered Massachusetts... the roaming indicator went away... like I assumed it would. And I haven't seen it since. I'm also assuming that once I leave the Boston market again it'll show up, once again. (I'm not planning on leaving until Christmas time... so I'll have to wait to see until then)...

My connection is still switching from 1XEV to 1X and 1x... but I haven't seen a "data connection refused" until today... (but that doesn't mean it hasn't gone to DCR (data connection refused) while I'm not looking. So far I haven't noticed a lag in my ability to receive my emails... so it hasn't had its potentially negative effect yet...

and from reading everyone else's posts since mine... it seems like many are having the same two problems. and from what VZWTech says they're problems everyone should have until the debugged v4.1 comes out.

I tried the ##000000, changing the SID password to: vzw. Saved, Rebooted. Then went back because I noticed that the EVDO User Name was: [email address] instead of my own number. So I changed it to my number, (the other two user names were my number), Saved, Rebooted.

Immediately once it booted up the arrows flashed...and then a 1XEV displayed... for three seconds... then the arrows flashed again and the 1x displayed. great. 10 seconds later the arrows flashed and 1XEV came back. and it's stayed ever since. about ten minutes so far

whatever... I won't be surprised if it still switches back and forth... I doubt there will be a real fix until we all have v4.1.

So there's my update... I've basically given in to the problems being the buggy software. I can deal with them as long as they'll be fixed in the v4.1 version soon

Hanwei
Old 11-30-2005, 11:43 AM   #243
RichP
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Data Connection Refused

I've been getting this at least once or twice daily so I did the ##000000 and made the suggested changes...we'll see if it comes back.

IMHO though, if 7130 users are getting Data Connection Refused too then I really think its a system wide issue...which may go away tomorrow Dec 1.

What version software are the 7130's running?
Old 11-30-2005, 11:52 AM   #244
rinconmike

Model: 8703

The 7130 has 4.1.0.117.

Also, I did the ##000000 to see what is in there. There is:

SIP User ID:phonenumber@vzw3g.com
SIP Password: This is blank
MIP User ID:phonenumber@vzw3g.com
MIP Password: This is blank
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #245
tomryan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T
Default 7130 issues and B2B issues resolidify my point..

If B2B users and 7130e users are experiencing the same exact issues as those consumers who "inappropriately" installed the 4.0.2 update and somehow got verizon to activate evdo on their accounts, it further illustrates what I have said (contrary to VZWtech) that the issue is not as he states and further a general verizon issue..

Mark, I would update your thread to add a bit of salt to VZWtech's statement. It would appear that there is (as usual for verizon) more to this than meets the eyes...

perhaps a statement alerting users that B2B and 7130 users experience the same "at your own risk" issues as everyone else and therefore you should take VZWtech's post with a grain of salt? (again, no offense to VZWtech, I firmly believe (and find humerous) that Verizon has serious internal confusion.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:53 PM   #246
forefun

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Great advise, but I still keep getting "Data connection refused" I also enter "VZW" in the SIP password and it does not stay there after resetting. I also verified the 3 usernames to start with my phone #. D I need a "EVDO AN Password" too?
Old 11-30-2005, 04:49 PM   #247
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by forefun
Great advise, but I still keep getting "Data connection refused" I also enter "VZW" in the SIP password and it does not stay there after resetting. I also verified the 3 usernames to start with my phone #. D I need a "EVDO AN Password" too?

did you get the correct features put on your account? since yesterday, I haven't gotten any data connection refused
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #248
bigfattony

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsun
Our investment in the 7250 paid out, Verizon came out with firmware 4.0.2.41 and we just add the feature code added in and now I see 1XEV when I connect. When I get home have to test is a IP modem. They gave us VZAccess Software to configure it.
Instructions worked like a charm. All setup with 1XEV using 7250 in NJ.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:55 PM   #249
ChristopherRI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9530
Carrier: Alltel

To update my sitution, I'm in the same position as Hanwei again.

I flew into Boston last night and as soon as I turned my phone on, I got 1XEV. I have noticed a little switching, but not very often. I am back home in Rhode Island and every time I look at the phone I see 1XEV. I don't notice switching.

The tethering is working fine and I have never seen a Data Connection Refused Message.

Maybe I've just been lucky so far. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:18 PM   #250
gatortone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

Just to follow up...My BB is still going back and forth between 1X and 1XEV eventhough I changed the SIP pwd. I haven't gotten a "data connection refused" message yet, but I'll be back in downtown Denver tomorrow, so we'll see. Oh well, I'll just keep turning the radio off and on until a permanent fix is out and/or the issue is resolved.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:24 PM   #251
kmehling
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8103e

Thanks to all the info on here, we got one (guinea pig volunteer) VZW 7250 user up and running yesterday. We're in centralish Jersey and we get OK reception so I wasn't concerned when I see occasional switching between 1XEV and 1X and even a very rare 1x.

Got it tethered no problem using the modem settings- I wasn't able to figure out how to get the proper version of the VZWAccess software installed. Tried a few speed tests and they averaged anywhere from 100k to 200k download speeds. I used the CNET one and the Speakeasy/speedtest one. Uploads looked to be anywhere from 20k to 60k.

No data connection refused whatsoever. Happy campers all around, but going to hold off on upgrading everybody until some of these issues get worked out.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #252
sgm-co
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: verizon
Talking 1XEV on my BB 7250 and broadband access added to my account

All is back up and running. What type of speeds should I be seeing? Honestly, things don't seem much faster then before.

Am I missing something here?

Thanks
SGM-CO
Old 11-30-2005, 08:26 PM   #253
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

BroadBandAccess is very useful when you want to use your BlackBerry as a modem for a laptop.

Previously, Verizon did not allow you to use wireless Internet on your laptop through your BlackBerry by using it as a modem.

If you are just doing email, there is really no difference. Web surfing may be faster, but it is still limited by the CPU speed in BlackBerry 7250 (which, while fast, is not nearly enough to keep up with EVDO; even the 8700 on EDGE still has faster device-based web browsing because of faster CPU)
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-30-2005, 10:11 PM   #254
RichP

Default Data Connection Refused

I did the ##000000 and changed the usernames and pwds early this morning and then i got the Data Connection Refused a few hours later.

This seemed to happen when my 7250 either lost signal or was switching towers(I was pulling into Penn Station NYC on the train)

Of course the quick Turn Wirless Off and then turn it back on seemed to work and I have been on 1XEV since (still in NYC)

My money is on this being a system wide problem.

Is there any official changelog for the 4.0.2 software?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:30 PM   #255
sgm-co
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: verizon
Default VZ Access manager

Decided to try the tether approach and it seems to work. I am already a business customer with the unlimited data plan is this included in my monthy fee or is this a extra $15 a month charge? As mentioned above I could access the network via my bb, but wondering if I will now see a $15 charge on my bill next month.

Thanks

Lance
Old 11-30-2005, 11:06 PM   #256
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgm-co
Decided to try the tether approach and it seems to work. I am already a business customer with the unlimited data plan is this included in my monthy fee or is this a extra $15 a month charge? As mentioned above I could access the network via my bb, but wondering if I will now see a $15 charge on my bill next month.
There's a per-kilobyte charge if you don't get the $15 BroadbandAccess plan.

It is my understanding that the $15 is a promotional price -- this feature will actually be $30 eventually.

You're not paying the $15 charge:
- EVDO is unlimited only when used within BlackBerry
- Tethering works but is something like 0.015 per kilobyte (watch out)

You're paying the $15 charge:
- EVDO is unlimited
- Tethering is unlimited
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 11-30-2005, 11:22 PM   #257
BrianW

Model: Storm
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by flytags
Just thought I'd throw a quick note in here. I spent 45 minutes on the phone with a data support technician, who was working with a customer service rep. They had all kinds of problems activating BroadbandAccess Connect on my account. After 45 minutes of waiting on hold, the data support guy got back on the phone and informed me that he just received a brief from his supervisor that this service is unavailable for non-business consumers until Q1 2006. Basically January.

D'oh! Oh well, I guess I can wait another couple months.
That stinks!

I wonder how other folks are getting away with adding EVDO to their Verizon 7250s.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:55 PM   #258
rinconmike

Today while driving, my 7130 kept getting the data connection refused. I did the turn on and off and also did the *22899 a couple of times. On my way back, no issues.

I think it is something with the network and not the device.

Mike
Old 12-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #259
word2218
Thumbs Must Hurt

ok - another update. I was fine today up until the afternoon, when the dreaded data connection refused came back. I'm beginning to think that this occurs when the blackberry switches to another tower, and that the EVDO PRL is not playing nicely with the updated software.

I spent about 2 hours on the phone with B2B Data support, and after removing all the features, then adding them all back on about 3 times, doing *22899, HRT - register, restarts, etc etc. I still had the problem. Got escalated up to tier 2, and has not reappeared since. The tier 2 rep also mentioned he suspected it might be a RIM software bug in 4.0.2 cuz he had several other calls on this. I think the problem might come back tomorrow when I travel into work, but I'm not sure.

I've noticed a new feature on my account:

IP UNRESTRICTED under DATA - under there, I also have Unlimited Data Usage, and NATIONALACCESS ROAM

under expressnetwork, I have EVDO ALLOWANCE and NATIONALACCESS ROAM again

Kontiki - since you seem to have absolutely no problems whatsoever, do you mind if I ask you if you travel a lot, especially out of areas that DO NOT have EVDO service? That might be the thing here. When I'm in Manhattan, I don't have any problems, and I know I'm in an established EVDO area, but its when I'm in a fringe area or a place that doesn't have EVDO is when the problems are showing up
Old 12-01-2005, 12:43 AM   #260
rinconmike

Well, if it is a bug in 4.02, then itis also a bug in 4.1 since my 7130 does it also. I too think it is something when jumping towers, but there are times when in one location it jumps from 1XEV to 1X and sometime 1x. This is in a location that has good signal and is EVDO.

Mike
Closed Thread