BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 01:46 AM   #1
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers
Default BlackBerry Internet Browser FAQ - HTML Web With Images!

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry HTML Web Browsing FAQ

The purpose of this FAQ is to help answer web-browsing-related questions for BlackBerry. Many new models of BlackBerries have a built-in HTML Internet Browser with full color image graphics. Unfortunately this does not apply to each and every BlackBerry. The purpose of this FAQ is to help get a person get a web browser up and running as quickly as possible.

My Web Browser Icon Is Missing!

This can happen if you've upgraded your BlackBerryOS, or if you delete your service books. This is the most common step to fix the problem via your BlackBerry:
Options Icon -> Host Routing Tables -> Register Now

Help! My Web Browser Still Didn't Show Up!

If the above instructions failed, try stepping through these instructions one by one
  • Try getting your service books retransmitted.
    a. Login to your BlackBerry Web Client (BWC/BIS) site.
    b. Click "Profiles" (At the top of your BWC webpage via your PC)
    c. Click "Send Internet Browser Service Book"

• Try rebooting your BlackBerry by removing and reinserting battery.
  • Make sure you are running BlackBerryOS 4.0 by checking:
    Check Options -> About
    If you are not running at least Version 4.0, you need to download and install BlackBerryOS 4.0 then repeating all the above instructions again.
  • If that does not work, and you are on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES), try re-activating your BlackBerry on BES. This may be as simple as connecting your BlackBerry to your PC and synchronizing your BlackBerry while Outlook is in ONLINE mode.

Help! I'm stuck with BlackBerryOS 3.7!

If you are not allowed to upgrade to BlackBerryOS 4.0, there is still hope. There's an unsupported method of doing this on BlackBerryOS 3.7. This is called the "RBRO trick". Follow these instructions:
  1. Launch the WAP Browser
  2. Click thumbwheel, select Options
  3. You should now see a list containing "Browser Configuration" and "General Properties"
  4. Type the following letters: RBRO
  5. Click on "Browser Configuration" again.
  6. Scroll down to "Constrained Content Mode" and then change "WML Only" into "Unconstrained"
  7. Click scrollwheel and select "Save"
  8. Click on "Browser Configuration" again. (Go back out and back in)
  9. Scroll down to "Content Mode" and then change "WML Only" into "WML and HTML"
  10. Click scrollwheel and select "Save"
  11. Now you've got full HTML browsing on your BlackBerryOS 3.7 device!

Help! None Of The Above Works!

Unfortunately, some carriers don't want you to have a web browser yet. Try calling your carrier and asking nicely to get a full Internet Browser for your BlackBerry. There's an alternative. You can obtain third party web browsers:
Opera Mini
Minuet Browser

What is NOL? What is T-Zones?

These are custom branded browsers for Nextel and T-Mobile.
NOL is the Nextel OnLine browser for Nextel BlackBerries.
T-Zones is the T-Mobile web browser for T-Mobile BlackBerries.
This does not apply to you if you are using another carrier, such as Cingular.

Some of these custom branded browsers are simply renamed versions of the BlackBerry Internet Browser, while others are renamed versions of much-more-limited WAP browsers.

Nextel's NOL browser (as of March 2005) is still a limited-functionality browser, so many Nextel users find it necessary to purchase a third party browser, in order to gain more browsing functionality.

BlackBerry Internet Browser Is TOO SLOW!

Under BlackBerryOS4, the improved HTML web browsing can be extremely slow. There are several ways to speed up the web browsing experience. Try the following:
  • Turn off images by going to:
    Internet Browser -> Options -> Browser Configuration -> Show Images -> "On WML Pages Only"
    You can selectively download images on demand, anyway.
  • If that does not speed things up enough, turn off unnecessary options that you may not need:
    Internet Browser -> Options -> Browser Configuration
    Turn off "Use HTML Tables"
    Turn off "Use Background Images"
    Turn off "Support JavaScript"
    Turn off "Support Style Sheets"
  • If that does not speed things up enough, test out a trial of one of the third party browsers available. Many people say that some of the third party web browsers are faster in certain aspects. You can have this web browser installed at the same time as the BlackBerry Internet Browser.
  • Try browsing through BES 4.0 which can be much faster than browsing entirely through your cell carrier. If you want the fastest RIM BlackBerry Browser without going to third party software, you may want to get BES 4.0. Individuals who cannot afford a BES server can check out the Hosted BES FAQ for services costing $10 to $25 per month. An advantage is that browsing through BES 4.0 will make more JavaScript websites work properly, including online banking websites.
    Note: On BES, the browser is called "BlackBerry Browser" rather than "Internet Browser"

Help! My Web Browser Doesn't Display Any Pages, Only "Loading..."!

This is usually a configuration problem, but can be a server issue. Try the following:
  • Reboot your BlackBerry by removing and reinserting the battery.
  • Follow the instructions in section "Help! My Web Browser Still Didn't Come Back!" at the top.
  • Follow the instructions in Configuring Internet On BlackBerry
  • Test out a third party web browser.
  • Your BWC or BES might be a little slow. Try again a little later.

What's The Best Web Browser For Maximum Compatibility?

The best web browser for maximum compatibility is one that supports JavaScript. You still won't be able to get a Blazer-style web browser, but you can dramatically improve the BlackBerry browsing compatibility. One way to get this is to use BlackBerryOS 4.0 on a BES 4.0 server (Either your own BES or through Hosted BES). This will allow to access more websites, including online banking websites. To maximize compatibility, go to:
BlackBerry Browser -> Options -> Browser Configuration
Scroll down and turn on ALL checkboxes. Then Save.

Quote:
This is a "Mark Rejhon BlackBerry FAQ" article.
Copyright (C) 2005 by Mark Rejhon, All Rights Reserved. Some portions may be Copyright (C) by respective forum members.
Mark Rejhon grants permission to use this article only for private use. For all other uses, please ask Mark Rejhon at www.marky.com to ask for permission to use this article. If any content of this article also contains content by other forum members, please ask them for permission too as well. This includes commercial use, public use, reposting in full/part anywhere on the Internet, publication in magazine/book or any other media, or any other use than private use. This copyright notice may not be edited or removed in any manner. Mark Rejhon reserves exclusive right to edit, remove, or restore this article, and this article may not be edited, removed, or restored by any other individual or organizations.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 03-10-2006 at 06:53 PM..
Old 02-25-2005, 10:04 AM   #2
pgrokkos
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8703
Carrier: Verizon
Default Emulation Mode?

What is the best emulation mode to use?
Old 02-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

If you want the maximum chance of fast performance, keep it on BlackBerry emulation. I think it will automatically use a slimmed-down version of certain sites.

If you want the maximum chance of compatibility, I suggest "Internet Explorer" emulation.

If you are unable to change emulation, you're stuck. You probably won't be able to change your emulation in the future since it's either carrier-locked or BES-administrator-locked.
Old 02-26-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Scooters
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular
Default Role of the BES in Web Browsing

I'm confused about the role of the BES when browsing the web.

I see that rules for the handheld are set in the BES. However, does the web service go through my Work (BES Owner's) Internet connection, or does it go through the Cell Provider's Internet connection.

In other words, can the "Boss" see what sites I have been surfing on my Blackberry???
Old 02-26-2005, 09:50 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

BES Method Correct. When you run "BlackBerry Browser" through BES, you are using your work's Internet connection. That's because BES is usually on the Intranet (inside the LAN) and you can access internal websites from your BlackBerry that way. And yes your boss can see what websites you are accessing if you surf through BES -- if they have enabled the logging and someone is watching the log.

BWC Method If you need privacy, use "Internet Browser" instead of "BlackBerry Browser", it will surf through your BWC instead.
Old 02-27-2005, 02:20 AM   #6
mobilehavoc
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: None

FYI Mark...Internet Browsing is not available on Cingular at this time. You probably should add something in your FAQ about which carriers this is available for to answer future questions.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:16 AM   #7
Eric5273

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
FYI Mark...Internet Browsing is not available on Cingular at this time. You probably should add something in your FAQ about which carriers this is available for to answer future questions.
I thought all 7100 series blackberrys come with the built in HTML browser??? The Cingular 7100g does not??
Old 02-27-2005, 10:28 AM   #8
Scooters
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700

Thanks All!

I am using the Cingular with a 7290 (Temporarily running Rogers 4.x software until the Cingular release).

The only choice that I have under Options/Browser/Default.... is "Cingular Browser." - I assume that this is where I would make the browser selection.

I cannot access anything inside my organization firewall.

Sooooo... As far as webview goes, It looks like I am in the outside world using Cingular as the ISP.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
mobilehavoc

Model: None

Currently Cingular does not provide this Blackberry Internet Service (BIS)...this is what mark is referring to in this thread.

However, Cingular's WAP browser does handle full HTML/WML by default so it's not as important.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #10
Eric5273

Model: 7100g

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehavoc
Currently Cingular does not provide this Blackberry Internet Service (BIS)...this is what mark is referring to in this thread.

However, Cingular's WAP browser does handle full HTML/WML by default so it's not as important.
But I assume you can still use the wap.cingular APN to use programs like Verichat?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #11
mortys11

Model: BOLD
Carrier: rogers
Default browser

hey mark,

i loaded up regwireless web browser but keep getting message:

could not connect to server check advanced settings.

i have a 7290 with 4.0

on rogers
Old 03-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #12
NEXTEL347

Default Blackberry Browser On 7520

I Have The Blackberry 7520 And Have An Employee Blackberry Email Service With Public Ip, Based On The Web Client Not Bes. I Have Nol And Webviewr Both Work Fine. The Blackberry Browser Is Locked Out By Nextel B/c They Don't Want You Doing Html Browsing. Anyway I Found The Bb Browser Appears On The 7510 Somehow But Not The 7520. I Took The Service Book From My Old 7510 And Copied It To My 7520 And I Have The Bb Browser On My 7520 Now. Problem Is It Will Not Work, Will Not Connect To Inernet, It Did Work On The 7510. So I Suppose Nextel Needs To Unlock Some Features.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:56 PM   #13
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

mortys11
Follow the following instructions:
"Help! My Web Browser Doesn't Display Any Pages, Only "Loading..."!"
At the top of this document, including Configuring Internet (including filling your Options->APN setting).

NEXTEL347
See if you can go to your Nextel BWC and resending your browser service book. Call Nextel and explain you used ot have the browser on your 7510, and you want it on your 7520 too as well. If not, then you may have to keep using your Reqwireless webviewer browser.
Old 03-20-2005, 05:48 PM   #14
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T
Default Mark - please help me understand the current state

of Webviewer vs. BB Browser.

I am on BES - think its 3.6 but going to 4.0. I am trying to decide what I would gain with Reqwireless Webviewer over the BB browswer. The site mentions cookie management. One thing that frustrates me is that the BB browser doesn't seem to stay logged into sites such as this one. My Cingular browser stays logged into Yahoo though. Are there major differences still?
Old 03-22-2005, 09:36 PM   #15
gphoto

Default Flash Content on 7100t?

What about viewing Flash content in the built-in browser-- non-BES? I selected the option to support embedded media, but it doesn't show up.

Is this an issue with the version of Flash? Do I need to upgrade to 4.0? (Currently running 3.8.0.128)
Old 03-23-2005, 09:47 PM   #16
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

This is mainly for sites such as http://mobile.blackberry.com that uses Plazmic. (Try it out! It's animated, like Flash!)

You should upgrade to OS 4.0 on your BlackBerry anyway since BlackBerry 3.8 is simply an early beta version of 4.0 .... (OS 3.8 is slower than both OS 3.7 and OS 4.0)
Old 03-30-2005, 06:20 PM   #17
malsi19

Model: 7520

what are the benifits of nextel static ip
Old 04-07-2005, 02:11 AM   #18
nygiant

So exactly what icon am I looking for? The NOL? I'm a new user, non enterprise, but wondering if I should purchase a browser. Please help... thanks
Old 04-09-2005, 12:47 AM   #19
dirwin

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon
Default Missing Browser Icon

When I received my Blackberry, I did not have a web browser icon. When I was reading an e-mail with a link, I selected Get Link, and it worked. Ever since, my browser has been running and the icon is on the Home Screen.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #20
cityboy3

Default Error Loading Page

Thank you all for the tips in this thread. It's helped out alot. I am using a Blackberry 7730 version 4 with T-mobile & the default browser. I'm finding that I have to constantly reboot in order to load web pages. It will work fine for several pages, then I will get the Loading Error message until I reboot again. Any ideas? thanks
Closed Thread