Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
thescullster

Model: 8310
Carrier: 02
Default Limit Funcionality of Z10 PC Connection

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all

To date all users have been issued with Blackberry handsets connected via BES server Express to exchange.
The screens on these have not been adequate for viewing attachments, so no-one's been bothered with file access.

Now we are introducing Z10s connected via Activesync and clearly users are looking to copy files from server shares to the handset (and vice versa) whilst in the office.

Connecting the Z10 appears to require administrator authority over the PCs in a domain environment, which I am reluctant to grant.

How can the Z10 be connected to a corporate PC without bestowing admin rites. Also, how can the user be limited to using the device in mass storage mode (rather than allowing BB Link software install etc).

Thanks

Phil
Old 06-07-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
bombinho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Re: Limit Funcionality of Z10 PC Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by thescullster View Post
Hi all

To date all users have been issued with Blackberry handsets connected via BES server Express to exchange.
The screens on these have not been adequate for viewing attachments, so no-one's been bothered with file access.

Now we are introducing Z10s connected via Activesync and clearly users are looking to copy files from server shares to the handset (and vice versa) whilst in the office.

Connecting the Z10 appears to require administrator authority over the PCs in a domain environment, which I am reluctant to grant.

How can the Z10 be connected to a corporate PC without bestowing admin rites. Also, how can the user be limited to using the device in mass storage mode (rather than allowing BB Link software install etc).

Thanks

Phil
Settings > Blackberry Link > Switch off BlackBerry Link

But be aware the phone maps its data on any Computer it gets connected to. Which means corporate data can get copied at a simple connect without any further user input.

Better get a written agreement of all users not plug their phone in any unknown power source / device.

Last edited by bombinho; 06-07-2013 at 05:46 AM..
Old 06-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Tipical IT. why bother with Blackberrys? Limits can be covered with an employee code of conduct. The device is new and I'm sure there will be updates to allow the Link software to be used with out admin rights on a PC. The comment made by bombinho about corporate data being copied without user input. it does auto load a spare drive but nothing is automatically copied to the pc, at least from what i see it does not. it takes user input to move data. I still playing with the work/personal functions and from what i see only the personal side is open.. sofar none of my work folders including calendar, contacts or documents are visible.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 AM   #4
bombinho
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: many
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
The comment made by bombinho about corporate data being copied without user input. it does auto load a spare drive but nothing is automatically copied to the pc, at least from what i see it does not.
It only takes user input if you want to copy the data. If you do not want to copy, any script can do that for you. If you do not administrate the other machine you do not know the state of it. You ever spend a thought where all those members of bot nets are coming from? And why there is a request for antivirus software? And that is only the tip of the iceberg.

And of course it is not so easy to copy online held data (+secured) as copying locally stored data. Otherwise nobody ever would have bothered using Blackberry.

But since you are experimenting with it yourself maybe you could share your results/thoughts?

Edit: By the way, certain security firms state that more malware gets carried past the security on mobile devices than enters through the proper secured online connections. And what does that tell you in conjunction with an auto mapped drive?

Last edited by bombinho; 06-17-2013 at 02:25 AM..
Old 06-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

why not get BES 10 and use work drives app? I access my server shares anytime I want with out using a cable or link software.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Closed Thread