Old 09-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #1
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon
Default Error During BESMgmt move from local MSDE to remote SQL 2005

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

Running BES 5.0.1 on Domino 8.5.1 (runs like a champ, with 225 users).

Last night we tried to move from local MSDE to SQL 2005 on a remote server (so we can get HA set up in the near future). Followed RIM KB12247 for the most part.

Setup allowed me to change the DB location & successfully test the connection, but when we reached the "application extensibility" section of setup, it bombed. Install log shows:

ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB: COM Error 0x80004005 - Unspecified error - Source: "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server" - Description "Cannot open database "mdsis" requested by the login. The login failed." - Command "ConnectionItem::ConnectToDB"

...at which point, setup simply stops. So here's the question. Everything I have seen regarding moving the config DB to another server talks about backing up & restoring (or copying & pasting) the BESMgmt MDF and LDF files, and the BMSStore MDF & LDF files. Even RIM support told me this. There are, however more database files on the BES than just those two (mdsis.mdf and .ldf included). Is it safe to assume that ALL of them should be recreated empty on the new SQL server (rather than just the two I mentioned), then populated via restore? Or is it really just those two - BESMgmt & BMSStore - that need to be moved?

Thoughts? Thanks so much!

Thankfully, we run BES on a VM - so we had a snapshot to fall back to.
Old 09-30-2010, 01:32 AM   #2
freakinvibe
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Class
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Swisscom

On the new SQL Server 2005, does the BESAdmin user have sysadmin rights? My experience is that he needs that during setup. Once it's up and running, dbo rights to BESMgmt are enough.

Also, I would go for a backup & restore (produces a .bak file which you should move to the new server and then restore). Moving the MDF files only works if you have the same version of DB server on both servers.
Old 09-30-2010, 07:50 AM   #3
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.
Model: Z10
PIN: NUKE(PAP)
Carrier: Singtel

mdsis is the DB for MDS Integration Service - an application extension. You must have installed that on your current BES. A lot of people mistook it for MDS Connection Service which allows one to use the BlackBerry Browser to browse Intranet web sites. Remove it if you are not using it at all. KB12247 does not cover migrating the mdsis DB, this is because moving this DB from one SQL/MSDE to a new SQL/MSDE is not supported.

I would suggest that you run the setup.exe again to remove MDSIS, then contact RIM to get a SQL script to clean up the BESMgmt DB. Finally drop that mdsis DB and then you can try KB12247 again.

Last edited by noname; 09-30-2010 at 08:03 AM.. Reason: Added unsupported information.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for both of your responses.

freakinvibe: yep, SQL permissions are correct.

noname: Is it safe to remove mdsis from my bes (using setup) BEFORE we do anything with moving the config database? Here is what I'm thinking...

1. Stop BES & all services. Take a VM Snapshot (jeez I love VMWare...)
2. Run setup & remove mdsis
3. Reboot & start BES to be sure everything is working, without mdsis.
4. Proceed with moving config DB to remote server

Will there still be cleanup needed on the DB, as you mentioned? Think I am on the right track?

Thanks again
Old 09-30-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
knottyrope
BlackBerry Elite

Model: DT60
PIN: t of blood has been taken
Carrier: AT&T-US with I dee ten tee errors

you are on track.
It doesn't even matter

Rocking the Motion with out lotion.
Old 09-30-2010, 09:42 PM   #6
noname

Location: Congested Islet of "Foreign Talents" (> 45% of workforce) - Singapore.

Hey voyager9355, yeah those steps are okay. RIM does not handle mdsis removal cleanly through the uninstallation process, my understanding that there will be issue on BAS slowness after you removed mdsis due to unremoved mdsis records. I would suggest to contact RIM to get the script after you have removed mdsis. Submit them the BAS logs to ascertain the correct script to apply.
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
voyager9355
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hey thanks everyone! I appreciate your responses!

My BES Config DB has been successfully moved to a remote SQL server.

Did the backup/restore of the DB as per usual...then removed mdsis when I ran setup. From there it was smooth sailing. Only gotcha we ran into was that the SQL server wanted the BES computer account included in the SQL Logins/security settings. Fixed that & we are up & running.

Next step...get HA going.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
noname

Thumbs up!
Old 10-03-2010, 11:44 AM   #9
BBTech

Model: BM
Carrier: bm

Did you create a dummy database on the remote sql server first? if you simply move the mdf/ldf files to the new server the master database will not get populated with data needed for the bes to operate properly.
Closed Thread