Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
dave79
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9780
PIN: Ciao :)
Carrier: Vodafone Italy
Default Any news on the next update?

Please Login to Remove!

I was wondering if there is any news on when the next update is coming?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #2
Cooper
CrackBerry Addict

Model: PRIV
Carrier: Rogers
Default Re: Any news on the next update?

A friend of mine is running OS 1.0.7 but doesn't know when its coming out. He works in GR so he's not developing or anything.

One thing I saw was an "Airplane Mode" in the settings. I couldn't tell you what else will change, or when its coming.

All I do know is that his version of 1.0.7 did not have native e-mail or Android player... so yeah we're waiting for that.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
LonelyTylenol

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
All I do know is that his version of 1.0.7 did not have native e-mail or Android player... so yeah we're waiting for that.
How will the native "e-mail" work on the current Playbooks? I can visualize how the current Bridge works, providing a mirror of what's on a BB phone. A mirror that vanishes when the Bridge connection ends.

But how the "native" e-mail will work, without 3G, kind of eludes me. Will it be a mirror that stays on PB and which needs to be synched up periodically?

I'm getting ready to jump in and buy a PB and appreciate all the discussion here at BF.

LT
Old 07-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #4
ZombieBerry
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Priv
PIN: 2AB9C463
Carrier: WIND

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyTylenol View Post
How will the native "e-mail" work on the current Playbooks? I can visualize how the current Bridge works, providing a mirror of what's on a BB phone. A mirror that vanishes when the Bridge connection ends.

But how the "native" e-mail will work, without 3G, kind of eludes me. Will it be a mirror that stays on PB and which needs to be synched up periodically?

I'm getting ready to jump in and buy a PB and appreciate all the discussion here at BF.

LT
RIM will be releasing a Playbook Administrative Service (PAS) that will basically offer PB users a web-based admin service. Sort of like BESAdmins use to force IT policies and build 'safe lists' of allowable apps.

They will combine the PAS with two other features, focusing on an initial 3 pronged defense. Bridge, which we all know how it works. The last part is Balance, which will allow a user to carry one device with BES/BIS (Yeah, I know, it's been done) but Balance offers the added benefit of NOT sending your company's IT staff into a series of mini strokes.

It allows the installation of apps which would normally be off limits by the IT staff, but since personal apps (Twitter/FB/Google/etc) are not allowed to access corporate data, and information (copied; for example) from an e-mail received via BES, would not be able to be entered into a personal app. Both parties can work/play as they would have on two devices.

I am really looking forward to the PAS (expected this Summer (I know!!!))

Cheers,

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 07-07-2011 at 05:19 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

I'm missing how PAS, Balance, and Bridge translate into native email app on the PlayBook. There's something I don't know, or don't understand. And I'm thinking BIS only, as is my case.

When I first saw the PlayBook had a PIN, and knowing about BlackBerry ID, I was speculating to myself that maybe BIS was being worked on to allow a user (BlackBerry ID) get push email to multiple devices (PINs). Total guesswork on my part. I don't know anything.

But how does the PAS, Balance, and Bridge provide native email?
Old 07-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
ZombieBerry

They are allowing you to push to multiple devices, though I haven't seen anything on BIS, all of the features I have seen have been demonstrated with BES. Here is a crap-quality link to a photo that shows a workflow, I'll look for the higher res one.

[BBWC] BlackBerry PlayBook Administration Service is comin...

Like LonelyTylenol said, how will native e-mail work without 3G (I think you meant without constant connectivity?), the question is probably moot, as by the time native e-mail rolls out, the 3/4G/LTE versions will also be out.

I assumed via a web-based interface. Who knows, all I know is that I will be able to get my mail delivered to both devices(BES). Since I am surrounded by WiFi access from the moment I leave my house until I get to work, but for it to work on a WiFi only device, it would have to wait to 'sync' mail to the PB only when connected.

So, yeah, those three conditions make sense for me cause my life is ruled by BES right now. I can see RIM making it possible to 'associate' your various RIM device PINs, but that's just me quacking...

I honestly do not know what they plan to do with BIS, maybe offer the same association (shrugs)

Read this PDF http://www.tenetmobile.com/data/tene...BW-Summary.pdf

You can read all of it, but just #5 for now.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 07-07-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

I'll take a look at the link.

And I was thinking wifi. In my mind, turning on the PlayBook and connecting to wifi, or having the PlayBook on and entering wifi range, would be same in principle to turning the BlackBerry on and connecting the mobile network, or leaving a no-signal area and getting signal, and BIS starts pushing the messages to the device..... But, ahh, a wrinkle? Would the BIS then have to keep track of what was pushed already to what device? As of now, messages have either only not been pushed, or they have been pushed.

Oh, well, this is fun watching and waiting. Looking forward to seeing it roll out.

Last edited by aiharkness; 07-07-2011 at 06:05 PM..
Old 07-07-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
ZombieBerry

That would make sense as it seems to be implying you can edit your PB settings in your BIS web settings. Like editing your e-mail settings on your BIS page. It's gonna be a good time waiting for all this to get going..haha

Looking forward to it as well and I think that pdf will explain a lot. I edited up above.

Last edited by ZombieBerry; 07-07-2011 at 06:12 PM..
Old 07-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #9
dave79

I think native email on bis make no sense if you have the Bridge. In my opinion is useful only to people that dont have a bb.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:04 AM   #10
dave79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
Was hoping they'd fill these two. Native email dont really care as I use the Bridge. Android apps could be entertaining but you can run one at time...

I think most of adding these feature will help rim boosting the sales.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79 View Post
I think native email on bis make no sense if you have the Bridge. In my opinion is useful only to people that dont have a bb.
But that is the point. The PlayBook must appeal to all users, not just those with a BlackBerry smartphone and BIS. And the no-native-email app complaint is valid for those potential PlayBook buyers.

But as a user with a BlackBerry smartphone and BIS and ability to bridge, I see a native email app on the PlayBook as backup. I have carried an old BlackBerry as backup when on the road; and I've known if something happened to BlackBerry I maybe could find a T-Mobile store and buy one the same day, but maybe not.

But if the BlackBerry had native email and BBM and something happened to either the PlayBook or the BlackBerry, say bluetooth radio quits, or mobile network radio on the BlackBerry quits, the battery fails on either one... whatever, I would still have email and BBM.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #12
pyro451
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9810
Carrier: AT&T

I would rather see them fix the access to open attachments on calendar entries.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #13
Ade
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave79 View Post
I disagree with this. there are times when you get a huge file and you cant open it with your bb, same with the playbook.. becos its just a mirror of the phone.. a native email will come in handy
Old 07-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #14
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

The flip side is that except for your carrier BIS email address, you can get your email via a web interface using the browser, at least I think most people would be in that situation--at least the typical BIS user and not speaking for BES. And also download attachments from the webmail interface. I have to admit I haven't really tried file downloads that way; and actually can't say for sure that I have.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
dave79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ade View Post
I disagree with this. there are times when you get a huge file and you cant open it with your bb, same with the playbook.. becos its just a mirror of the phone.. a native email will come in handy
Well that's a limit of the BIS. Native email would have the same limits.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 AM   #16
smoothadmin
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9860
Carrier: Virgin Mobile Canada

RIM is moving at a turtle pace right now that not even their share holders are very pleased with them. RIM has said that they don't except newer products to be out until 2012; something the share holders may not wait for.

Reports from the developers at RIM in Waterloo Ontario is that RIM is aware of the problem but they are behaving like a dear looking at the head lights! (quote from BNN - business news network) RIM just doesn't know what to do.

I hope for their sake their release the android player sooner rather than later.

A.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:34 PM   #17
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Not something that I am that worried about. I can't see RIM going under anytime soon.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #18
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Clearly you haven't read his other postings. You'd be very worried.

NOT.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 PM   #19
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Rumors around CB of an update on July 15... RUMORS
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 AM   #20
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Rumors around CB of an update on July 15... RUMORS
So that means it is true, right Daphne?
Closed Thread