BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #21
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Bell Canada
Default Re: Initial startup by wi-fi only??

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifonline View Post
Don't know what to tell you. I had zero issues setting up the PlayBook, so I would not call the setup ridiculously elaborate or problem-filled. What do you mean the device is stuck on the connect to WiFi screen?

Do you have WiFi profiles saved on your 9700? If so, they transferred to the PlayBook when you bridged. Possible that there is a WiFi profile causing issues on the PlayBook, although I have not yet heard of such an issue.
I mean that the PB displays the Connect To Wi-Fi screen, and nothing I can do will get it to any other screen...no swipe, no reset or power cycling. It detects my neighbours' wi-fi, but of course I can't log in to it. When I plug the PB into my computer, the BB desktop software tells me the PB isn't set up yet, apparently something has gone wrong with the initial download and setup.

I guess I am just unlucky in all this....but I still think it is stupid of RIM to market a device that is designed from the get-go to be used with their phones, yet can't be set up for use in the same way. [shrug]. Somehow Microsoft managed to figure it out...every new OS install connects by the internet and downloads a whole whack of updates. Seems to me that a lot of Linux setups do this too. So why didn't it occur to RIM?
Old 05-12-2011, 07:52 PM   #22
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Dave, you should probably return it. I also had no issues, but with wifi in the house.

It is obvious there are issues going on you won't be able to resolve without wifi in your house. I am rather surprised to hear you don't have it and apparently no desire to. You purchased a high-tech item in the PB, but what is considered almost a basic by many, wifi, is not in the cards for you.

It is clear the PB is not making you happy as it is missing something you seem to expect should be built in.

if Best Buy had set it up and verified it was operating maybe they should have turned off wifi before shutting it down Not sure it wouldn't still start up at the next ON cycle, but you will probably still need wifi for future updating and operations.

Why start with frustration? Get something you will like every day.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 PM   #23
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

For what it's worth, I leave wifi enabled. Away from home I use the bridge -- at least so far, as I haven't taken it on the road yet. I don't have any problem when I power on and there's no wifi.

If I saw what Dave is describing, assuming nothing I could do to get to another screen, I would try forcing an OS update. It would probably just be the same OS, but the procedure would wipe the device in the process.

But no wifi at the home changes things. I agree with the others, unless you are a road warrior, the PlayBook may not make sense to have.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Last edited by aiharkness; 05-12-2011 at 08:28 PM..
Old 05-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #24
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Problem solved...

Last night on my way to work, I took the Playbrick along and cruised by Starbucks again. The Playbook responded to the wi-fi by giving me the final setup screens [the how-to stuff] and after a few finger-swipes and taps, it was finally complete. It appears that you still need to be connected to a network to complete these final steps, despite not needing to actually download anything....otherwise the PB is just unresponsive.

The part about being locked on the 'Connecting To Wi-Fi' screen.... It appears that I inadvertently snapped a couple of screenshots while trying to reset the PB and one of them stuck as a background. Brilliant....

Finally, I've hooked up to my desktop computer, and NOW there's a selection to download OS updates to the Playbook...although why it couldn't have been there in the first place continues to mystify me.

So now I'm a happy camper, and I'm looking forward to getting used to my tablet. Basically I _am_ a road warrior...I have a perfectly good computer at home, and the Playbook is just more convenient than a laptop for keeping in touch over the Net. However...since I now have a reason to do so, I'll dig out the manual and disk for my router and get the wi-fi going. I hope that will make you all happy!

[Seriously though, I appreciate your interest and advice....and tolerance for my crabbiness...]
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #25
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Ahh Hahh! The truth comes out! You actually own a router but had not set it up!

We deserve more thanks for our patience.

I'm sure now that you will be happy, once you have the wifi up and running in your house.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 05-16-2011, 07:04 PM   #26
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
PIN: N/A
Carrier: sprint

Dave, glad you are getting it sorted out. If it has been a long time for you don't forget to enable security on your router or your neighbors may be happy too.

Just a thought.....
Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #27
DaveTheA
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetaz View Post
Dave, glad you are getting it sorted out. If it has been a long time for you don't forget to enable security on your router or your neighbors may be happy too.
Thanks Steve...I may not know much about wi-fi, but I know that much. Security is one of the reasons I never bothered to set it up at home in fact.

Funny story: My work has me driving around commercial areas at night, so I've been checking out wi-fi availability at all my usual stops. Most places seem well aware of security issues...they certainly have things set up to prevent unauthorized access or usage. For eg. I can't even get onto Facebook using the PB Facebook app at Starbucks [heh, another reason to stay away from the place]. Also, attempting updates on installed apps, or downloading fresh installs of things I deleted always went wrong.

For a while I thought it was either AppWorld or the PB OS that was causing me problems [as usual the error messages were far from useful...]. Then I discovered an access point merely entitled 'linksys'....... Yup, a wide open router with a strong steady signal. Suddenly all my problems went away, and I was able to easily complete downloads, installs, and even get onto Facebook with no difficulty at all.

All this wi-fi stuff has certainly been educational...
Closed Thread