skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitowner View Post
It being the case that /some/ BB's do have dual band capability, one wonders why it isn't available on all models. Perhaps it has to do with the 'captivity' of certain models with specific service providers?
I think you are attributing malice to a decision that is simply financial, some blackberries are aimed at a lower pricepoint so some features are omitted from them e.g. the 8520 and 8530 are budget models with lower rez screens, the 8520 isn't 3g and the 8530 isn't a worldphone.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:01 PM   #62
skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveO86 View Post
I think that comes down to "what the carriers want" VZW has lacked Wi-Fi for years while other carriers have had it.

On the flip side VZW has had World Phones for years.

Just thought and I could (and probably am) wrong on that one.
All gsm devices are inherently world phones, it is only cdma that needs to use the term to distinguish between their models that have just cdma or cdma and gsm radios.
Old 04-19-2010, 09:26 PM   #63
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevecr View Post
The 8830 was the first blackberry cdma worldphone, I find it very unlikely that it was also the first cdma worldphone though.
I think you misunderstood my post or maybe I wrote it incorrectly. I didn't mean that The 8830 was the first CDMA world phone. I meant to say it was the first CDMA world phone BlackBerry.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-19-2010, 10:25 PM   #64
BeachBum71
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
PIN: Ask

IMO, I think RIM will be staying in the market, people will always come back. I know because I let my Blackberry go to get an iPhone and had more problems than I ever did with my blackberry. Not to mention the service was spotty, so most of the time it was a paper weight. I then switched to an HTC Pro.

I'm back and loving my blackberry, others will be back as well and RIM will always have a userbase that will return or remain.

Richard

After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, "No hablo ingles."
Old 04-20-2010, 12:31 PM   #65
chitowner

Model: 9530
Carrier: VZN
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevecr View Post
There are plenty of reasons, two that spring immediately to mind are security and performance.

One other word that springs to mind in response to this little rant would be backup.

"Security" ought to be an option of the user, not a mandate of the provider. "Performance"? Seriously? I strongly doubt that. "Backup"? I can backup 'mass storage' a lot more easily than the device data.

Still- as I've said- there is no *functional* issue that requires this constraint. It OUGHT to be OPTIONAL.

CT
Old 04-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #66
chitowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
The "world phone" issue only lies with CDMA devices (BlackBerry and non-BlackBerry alike). Most of the world uses GSM frequencies. BlackBerry made the first CDMA "world phone" with the 8830. It added the ability for it to be used on international GSM frequencies.

Carriers such as AT&T and T-Mobile always had international capabilities.
I'm a bit confused by your statement. How can a CDMA device be a 'world phone' when GSM is the default standard outside the US?

To clarify, did the 8830 add GSM capability? If so, I wonder why RIM didn't choose a higher-end model- like the 9530 for example- for this introduction? Isn't it reasonable to assume a GSM option would be used more on a higher end device?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #67
jsconyers

Quote:
"Security" ought to be an option of the user, not a mandate of the provider.
CT
I completely disagree with this statement. If security is not important to you, then you can move to a different platform. For example, a SideKick. Wasn't that what Paris Hilton had that was hacked, then she went to the BlackBerry?

I think most people take security for granted until something happens.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #68
chitowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBum71 View Post
IMO, I think RIM will be staying in the market, people will always come back. I know because I let my Blackberry go to get an iPhone and had more problems than I ever did with my blackberry. Not to mention the service was spotty, so most of the time it was a paper weight. I then switched to an HTC Pro.

I'm back and loving my blackberry, others will be back as well and RIM will always have a userbase that will return or remain.
You're not alone in that as a brief perusal of other pages on this site will show. IMHO the iPhone is grossly over rated. The Android beats it easily in most categories. Plus- it isn't held hostage by "licensing" issues (DRM, etc.).

See also here:
://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/109225/why-blackberry-users-will-defect

Old 04-20-2010, 12:49 PM   #69
jsconyers

Quote:
I'm a bit confused by your statement. How can a CDMA device be a 'world phone' when GSM is the default standard outside the US?

To clarify, did the 8830 add GSM capability? If so, I wonder why RIM didn't choose a higher-end model- like the 9530 for example- for this introduction? Isn't it reasonable to assume a GSM option would be used more on a higher end device?
You need to do some research prior to making assumptions. The 8830 was released years before the 9530. The 9530 was only a pipe dream at the time the 8830 was released. The 8830 has a spot for a SIM card to allow for GSM frequencies. The Storm, Storm 2, and the Tour all have this same capability as well. How do you think there are users with the Storm and Tour on AT&T and T-Mobile?
Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #70
chitowner

Quote:
I completely disagree with this statement. If security is not important to you, then you can move to a different platform. For example, a SideKick. Wasn't that what Paris Hilton had that was hacked, then she went to the BlackBerry?

I think most people take security for granted until something happens.
One reason for these forum pages is to have a place to share opinions, and I can respect your perspective, but don't assume I have not given any thought to this notion.

I am easily capable of adding protection to a media card. It is after all, a mass storage device that can be used in much the same manner as a 'thumb drive' for example, with a similar range of options.

I stipulate that the awareness and the knowledge regarding security is a significant issue, but I still refute your claim that it should not be allowed as a USER option- and clearly it is an option that, if available, could be blocked or removed in enterprise applications.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #71
jsconyers

Security is an option on the BlackBerry. You can choose to add a password. You can choose to add content compression and content protection. You can choose to encrypt your media card.

And, as you have stated, all of these choices can be set in stone by a BES.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #72
chitowner

Quote:
Security is an option on the BlackBerry. You can choose to add a password. You can choose to add content compression and content protection. You can choose to encrypt your media card.

And, as you have stated, all of these choices can be set in stone by a BES.
So your claim that not ALLOWING users to move their contacts list out of device memory is a security issue means what, exactly?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #73
chitowner

Quote:
You need to do some research prior to making assumptions. The 8830 was released years before the 9530. The 9530 was only a pipe dream at the time the 8830 was released. The 8830 has a spot for a SIM card to allow for GSM frequencies. The Storm, Storm 2, and the Tour all have this same capability as well. How do you think there are users with the Storm and Tour on AT&T and T-Mobile?
I sit corrected.
Although I have not used it yet, I was told at the VZN store earlier today (stopped in for unrelated issue) that the 9530 does indeed have GSM, and that is what the SIM card is for.

As for Storm at other SP's- I have no idea. I was with Ameritech before VZN bought them out and been there ever since. They're not perfect, but IMHO they're easily better than Sprint or T-mo from what my friends tell me about their services.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:32 PM   #74
jsconyers

Quote:
So your claim that not ALLOWING users to move their contacts list out of device memory is a security issue means what, exactly?
Where in this thread did I claim that?

It is how their OS is designed. The media card is for only media. If that is a feature you need, then I am sure there are devices out there that will suit your needs. Obviously BlackBerry doesn't. No one is forcing you to use one.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:43 PM   #75
chitowner

Update:

I am told by a VZN tech support person, and corroborated by a VZN store worker, that the contacts list can probably be moved to the SIM card. There is a catch tho: the SIM card is uniquely registered to each phone (at least for BB's I gather) and can not be transferred to another device. That should provide some level of security. More importantly, if the device itself fails (as happened to me recently), contents of the card might still be recoverable. Also not sure if SIM gets backed up with Device Manager. Some things I have to look into a bit more...

CT
Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #76
jsconyers

You're confusing the SIM card with the media card.

Yes, contacts can be moved to a SIM card. This can only be done one contact at a time. However, only one number per SIM contact. So for your contacts with multiple numbers, it will only store one. You will have to create duplicates for each number.

Contacts cannot be stored on a Media Card. The media card can be backed up manually using Windows Explorer. It is not backed up using Desktop Manager. If you have encryption enabled, then only the device that the media card was in when the files were written to the card will be able to be read/accessed.

Either you or the VZW rep are confused. Maybe the both of you. Who knows?
Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM   #77
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

You're confusing the SIM with the media card.
Assuming you're really referring to the media card...

Quote:
I am told by a VZN tech support person, and corroborated by a VZN store worker, that the contacts list can probably be moved to the SIM card.
Both of those individuals are incorrect.

Quote:
There is a catch tho: the SIM card is uniquely registered to each phone (at least for BB's I gather) and can not be transferred to another device.
Partly true... depending on the method you choose to encrypt the contents of the media card.
You can encrypt it to the device, the password or the device+password.
Still, you can't load your address book contacts on the media card.

Last edited by penguin3107; 04-20-2010 at 03:51 PM..
Old 04-20-2010, 03:54 PM   #78
chitowner

Quote:
Where in this thread did I claim that?

It is how their OS is designed. The media card is for only media. If that is a feature you need, then I am sure there are devices out there that will suit your needs. Obviously BlackBerry doesn't. No one is forcing you to use one.
You obviously have more experience with BB's than I, at least from the # of posts ascribed to you. But I find it insulting when folks in the BB forums say things like "if you don't like it then get something else."

You are not alone in this Conyers. I have seen and encountered it in many instances elsewhere on BB-forums and it is contrary to the expected spirit of an online community. I do not understand why this 'buzz off' attitude is so common on BB-forums.

I do like my Storm2 and, as far as I can tell, it is the best device overall for my preferences, but as soon as Android launches GSM capability, I will get one. The ONLY thing that irks me about RIM is their stonewall attitude towards BB owners. Note I say OWNERS, not "users", which is quite a different category. You, Conyers, seem party to that RIM attitude.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:00 PM   #79
chitowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin3107 View Post
You're confusing the SIM with the media card.
Assuming you're really referring to the media card...

Both of those individuals are incorrect.

Partly true... depending on the method you choose to encrypt the contents of the media card.
You can encrypt it to the device, the password or the device+password.
Still, you can't load your address book contacts on the media card.
Thanks for your comment. For the instances I cited, our discussions also explicitly included the media card, so it is clear there was no confusion about which was intended.

It is easily possible that both individuals were incorrect. The RIM OS is fairly complex. On top of that, the various customizations by each service provider make it exceedingly difficult for one individual to have absolute knowledge of all possibilities. But that keeps forums like this active.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #80
jsconyers

Quote:
as soon as Android launches GSM capability, I will get one.
There are GSM Android based phones
Closed Thread