Old 07-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: yeah baby !
Carrier: AT&T Mobility
Cool My .02 with the 3G iPhone ... Back to BB

Please Login to Remove!

ok so first off let me say that i'm a long time blackberry user/fan. not eternally long but pretty long time i think . i can count back to the 7230 , 7290 , 8700 , pearl , 8300 , and now my 8310 ! so i'm definitely a blackberry person. but being that the iPhone is so hyped and definitely a " solid " device in my book i tried it. i'm not disappointed in the iPhone or calling it useless ... its by no way such but here are my 2 cents :

Pros : beautiful screen , alot of storage space ( 16GB ) , reliable operation , great internet device , nice camera , and beautiful to look at ... lets face it its sexy

Cons : Horrible signal ( in 3G only ) , no MMS , horrible battery , no video , screen gets dirty very quickly , touch screen is nice at first but then its annoying , my screen was slightly yellowish , keyboard too sensitive and sometimes typed words i didn't want , and did i mention no push email unless u get MobileME or a Microsoft Exchange Account ( which to me means only that account is push )

I would also like to say that watching movies / music on the iPhone is awesome but i couldn't judge it too well because my battery died extremely quickly ... way quicker than with other 3G devices like the Blackjack 2 or AT&T Tilt. And to finish it off i wanna say that it is a nice device and to everyone that has one and loves it your OK in my book but i will stick with Blackberry.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:00 AM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

** Moved to Handheld Forums as this is another iPhone review **
Old 07-19-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
** Moved to Handheld Forums as this is another iPhone review **
oops ! sorry NJ , i just realized that your right and probably everyone and their mom is posting about the iphone ! ooops ! i just had to vent since i spent 2-3 hours on line to buy it and then returned it just 3 days later ...

Old 07-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #4
MERK350Z
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: 294E926C
Carrier: T-MOBILE

i feel your pain man when the first iphone came out i did the same after just a day using the phone i went back to my 8700 i just cant get used to not haveing push email and a keyboard. i am using my E90 and my 8800 off and on depends what kind of work i am doing that week. but ipone is so far away from beating any blackberry. people willl say i am wrong. i am if you are going to compare it as an entertainment tool but blackberry for e mail and text message and doing some basic office work rocks.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
muck
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: optus

thats why the blackberry + touch is the ultimate solution.
get the best of both worlds
Old 07-20-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin654 View Post
oops ! sorry NJ , i just realized that your right and probably everyone and their mom is posting about the iphone ! ooops ! i just had to vent since i spent 2-3 hours on line to buy it and then returned it just 3 days later ...

By any chance, did you try your BB sim in the iphone? I'd like to get one an swap the sim for nights/weekends but don't want to add another $30/mo data plan. I've seen conflicting information on the net about it. Thanks.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #7
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

as long as you have BB data plan then you can use that Sim in you iphone. you lose visual voicemail on the iphone.

BB data plan = data on both iphone & BB.

and it is not for everyone, same as BB.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #8
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Thanks. I think I'm going to buy one and cancel the plan after thirty days and pay the etf.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
test54
BlackBerry Master

thats the best way to do it this time. enjoy both of your phones, your getting the best of both worlds.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:08 PM   #10
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
as long as you have BB data plan then you can use that Sim in you iphone. you lose visual voicemail on the iphone.

BB data plan = data on both iphone & BB.

and it is not for everyone, same as BB.
I thought the iphone didn't have a sim card? I was told you had to activate it in the store?
Old 07-23-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
test54
BlackBerry Master

yes you have to activate in stores and it does have a sim card, same as the first one.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM   #12
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
yes you have to activate in stores and it does have a sim card, same as the first one.
Is it removable like it is in my BB? Again, I was under the assumption that it was internal and couldn't be removed or exchanged like the sim in my BB.

Rolo
Old 07-24-2008, 06:23 AM   #13
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

yes it is removable
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Easily removable. They even give you a tool (a fancy paper clip) to insert into the iPhone to remove the SIM.

Of course, 3G iPhones can't be unlocked *yet*; they can be jailbroken.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:47 AM   #15
Rolo1971
CrackBerry Addict

thanks, this is good to know for me because it sounds like I can buy the phone and exchange SIM and have two phones working with an interchangeable SIM.

Rolo
Old 07-24-2008, 07:49 AM   #16
test54
BlackBerry Master

only a matter of time i think. actually pretty good that the unlock people haven't gotten it done yet. but it will happen, but not sure its that big of a deal this time as no 3G with Tmobile.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:54 AM   #17
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Unlocking won't add much value for people who want to switch to T-Mobile *and* use 3G. Different frequencies...
Old 07-24-2008, 11:12 AM   #18
test54
BlackBerry Master

yeah and they are working on deals to bring it to China. If they get that done then there will not be quite as many getting unlocked and shipped there. China has a ton of unlocked original iphones.
Old 07-24-2008, 04:28 PM   #19
ikasen
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaquin654 View Post
ok so first off let me say that i'm a long time blackberry user/fan. not eternally long but pretty long time i think . i can count back to the 7230 , 7290 , 8700 , pearl , 8300 , and now my 8310 ! so i'm definitely a blackberry person. but being that the iPhone is so hyped and definitely a " solid " device in my book i tried it. i'm not disappointed in the iPhone or calling it useless ... its by no way such but here are my 2 cents :

Pros : beautiful screen , alot of storage space ( 16GB ) , reliable operation , great internet device , nice camera , and beautiful to look at ... lets face it its sexy

Cons : Horrible signal ( in 3G only ) , no MMS , horrible battery , no video , screen gets dirty very quickly , touch screen is nice at first but then its annoying , my screen was slightly yellowish , keyboard too sensitive and sometimes typed words i didn't want , and did i mention no push email unless u get MobileME or a Microsoft Exchange Account ( which to me means only that account is push )

I would also like to say that watching movies / music on the iPhone is awesome but i couldn't judge it too well because my battery died extremely quickly ... way quicker than with other 3G devices like the Blackjack 2 or AT&T Tilt. And to finish it off i wanna say that it is a nice device and to everyone that has one and loves it your OK in my book but i will stick with Blackberry.

Thanks for the review. I was supposed to get a free 3gIphone which may or may not happen. In the meantime, I would take a Bold in a NY minute, but I may be grayer than I've already gotten if I wait for that. I'm trying to be patient. In the meantime, everytime I play with an Iphone, I find the touchscreen to be somewhat unresponsive and the keyboard a little rough to get used to. I've read over and over how you have to give it time. Do you have a comment on any of this?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
joaquin654
Thumbs Must Hurt

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikasen View Post
Thanks for the review. I was supposed to get a free 3gIphone which may or may not happen. In the meantime, I would take a Bold in a NY minute, but I may be grayer than I've already gotten if I wait for that. I'm trying to be patient. In the meantime, everytime I play with an Iphone, I find the touchscreen to be somewhat unresponsive and the keyboard a little rough to get used to. I've read over and over how you have to give it time. Do you have a comment on any of this?
Sure , it's true you do get somewhat used to typing on the glass screen which is beautiful by the way but its just not the same a tactile keys no matter how small they may be for some. I have very fat fingers in fact and I thought i would love the iPhone over my Curve but thats not the case at all. I will say this about the iPhone , when it comes to surfing the web ... Blackberry doesn't even scratch the surface in comparison to the iPhone ! But when it comes to everything else ... gimme a Blackberry please .