Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
mdlissner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Default iPhone 3G - No Task Support?

Please Login to Remove!

How can Apple tout this device as an enterprise device with no task support native in the device.

They talk about syncing meetings, emails, and contacts from Microsoft Exchange, but no mention of tasks. Is this true? Are there third party solutions available today? How do iPhone users get around this today?

Mark

Cingular BB8800
Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
Sparkomatic
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
PIN: S & Needles
Carrier: I don't even know her

I know what you mean. When I sync my tasks to my mac using DotMac and The Missing Sync, it puts them into calendar items. And even then, it doesn't sync recurring tasks.

From what I've read, people are thinking that the App Store is going to allow someone to develop some kind of 'task' program for the iPhone.

I use tasks alot so I'm not to happy about it. I do think that not alot of people use tasks which I've always found kinda odd. Maybe that's why Apple didn't think to much about putting it in?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Perhaps of more interest is the inability to invite attendees to a meeting from the device...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
Rat_Boy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A

Is it true that you can VIEW MS attachments with iPhone, but actually EDIT them with the Bold?
Old 06-10-2008, 10:20 PM   #5
stranger
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: rogers(thiefs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_Boy View Post
Is it true that you can VIEW MS attachments with iPhone, but actually EDIT them with the Bold?
lets not start talking crazy b/c u are talking about a device that hasn come out yet and an OS for other phones that hasnt come out yet and a feature BB hasnt had for a while. although not native im sure it will have one immediatly
Old 06-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #6
Rat_Boy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

True, but I was just going on what is listed on BOTH device web sites.

Bold Page on ATT Site: Download MS Word, Excel®, or PowerPoint® files and edit them directly on the smartphone

iPhone2 at Apple's Site: Rotate, zoom, and pan in more than a dozen standard file and image formats, including PDF, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint; and also view iWork attachments.

But yea, I guess either phone's specs are subject to change.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #7
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

PIN: 20FA40E8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat_Boy View Post
I really don't care about editing them on the unit. I just know it is a pain in the ass the view spreadsheets and other pdfs on the blackberry. You have to go and select a square of area to look at, download the zoomed version, and you cant actively pan and zoom in/out spreadsheets and pdfs very easily. Sure it can convert word docs to plain text, but navigation if there is graphic content is a pain. On the iPhone, browsing was natural and intuitive. It showed the doc exactly like my desktop would show it. I pinch to zoom, pinch out to go back, and just pan around by dragging my finger. VERY VERY natural.

http://www.facebook.com/numetheus
Old 06-11-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlissner View Post
How can Apple tout this device as an enterprise device with no task support native in the device.

They talk about syncing meetings, emails, and contacts from Microsoft Exchange, but no mention of tasks. Is this true? Are there third party solutions available today? How do iPhone users get around this today?
I'm sure there will be soon enough for a price. I think you will see a lot of developers step in to fill the gaps of features that were not included in 2.0. No different then on the Palm, Win Mobile or BB.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
PPCMD

Model: 8820

I would say Apple has a creative way of avoiding what they don't have or can't do and when someone points it out they are taken to task. Facts are facts and they are based on what Job's stated, what is printed and what is known. I personally don't care either about editing or creating docs on my device but I do want to view and if needed make a quick change etc. But IF a device is being touted as an enterprise device then it better start living up to it. Great phone but still missing some key features.
Old 06-12-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
wunderbar

Model: 9630
Carrier: Telus

I give it about 5 minutes after the launch of the iPhone 3G that there will be a third party app released for free that will add a to-do list/task list.

Same goes with document editing. I think you'll eventually see something of an office suite on there. Even google docs or something like that.
Blackberry 9630
WES 2008 Alumni
Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #11
Blackberryer

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
I really don't care about editing them on the unit. I just know it is a pain in the ass the view spreadsheets and other pdfs on the blackberry. You have to go and select a square of area to look at, download the zoomed version, and you cant actively pan and zoom in/out spreadsheets and pdfs very easily. Sure it can convert word docs to plain text, but navigation if there is graphic content is a pain. On the iPhone, browsing was natural and intuitive. It showed the doc exactly like my desktop would show it. I pinch to zoom, pinch out to go back, and just pan around by dragging my finger. VERY VERY natural.
I couldn't agree more. Editing docs on a phone is a waste of time.
Old 06-12-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

editing is already available on existing devices that run versions of 4.5+ which as of today is officially the 8100, 8110, 8120, 8310, 8800 i believe is the complete list. Also, why is this in the 9000 forum? *moving to handheld forum*
Old 06-12-2008, 01:53 PM   #13
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

I agree about editing and that they should have tasks included.

just for an fyi - Apple - iPhone - Enterprise - Integration

and the release of the App Store will be great for 3rd party apps. they had a great demo on screen of Salesforce, looked very good.

Last edited by test54; 06-12-2008 at 01:55 PM..
Old 06-12-2008, 02:26 PM   #14
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPCMD View Post
I would say Apple has a creative way of avoiding what they don't have or can't do and when someone points it out they are taken to task. Facts are facts and they are based on what Job's stated, what is printed and what is known. I personally don't care either about editing or creating docs on my device but I do want to view and if needed make a quick change etc. But IF a device is being touted as an enterprise device then it better start living up to it. Great phone but still missing some key features.
Did you read a rule book about what constitutes and Enterprise device? Or are you grouping enterprise class devices based on what YOU, YOURSELF see in one? In the corporation I work at, what constitutes and enterprise level device is exchange, and being able to read a spreadsheet, pdf, powerpoint, or word document people send me. Editing is not a feature that makes or breaks what an Enterprise device is.

iPhone can now do exchange, and can view documents LOADS better than BlackBerry can view them. Our documents are rich and complex. BlackBerry document viewing is cumbersome especially when viewing something large. Having to pick a square or document, enhance it, and not be able to scroll to read the OTHER parts is downright crappy. When I have the option, I will not read a work doc on my BlackBerry because it gives me a headache.

Until I see iPhone exchange in action, I am still on the fence as to its suitability as an enterprise platform because quite frankly, I have not seen it. What I do know, is the important aspect of viewing documents is done far better on the iPhone.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:29 PM   #15
numetheus
CrackBerry Addict

All of the apps you will see for iPhone will look good because of the SDK. Salesforce is a good example of something they were able to put together in only a couple of months, and was shown as part of the developer challenge Apple had.

Task support will come out for it. Its naive to think that a platform with rich development tools will go WITHOUT an application as simple as task management, especially with a lot of corporations looking to it for their enterprise.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #16
mgerbasio
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800c
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by numetheus View Post
I really don't care about editing them on the unit. I just know it is a pain in the ass the view spreadsheets and other pdfs on the blackberry.
I agree.

We could list out things both devices do and don't do. I find it amazing the the BB, until the 8820, didn't have a spell check. I can't believe I can't copy an appointment from one day to another.

All said, the BB9000, if I had to pick one phone for work and play, would be my choice as I use my phone 90% for business email/phone. Guess I need more friends.

Regards-Michael G.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #17
Semi5
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100T
Carrier: tmobile

Here is a 3rd party app for the iPhone that does OTA syncing. I guess Apple is leaving it up to the developers...

The Omni Group - OmniFocus for iPhone and iPod touch
Old 06-13-2008, 09:55 AM   #18
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

PIN: 2434CB8D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semi5 View Post
Here is a 3rd party app for the iPhone that does OTA syncing. I guess Apple is leaving it up to the developers...

The Omni Group - OmniFocus for iPhone and iPod touch
As some may know I am a past BlackBerry user and a big proponent of RexWireless ToDoMatrix. Since switching to Mac I asked RexWireless if they had plans to port to the iPhone. They were looking into it, but made an interesting comment just the same. They were asking themselves how much of the existing code could be ported into XCode. It occurred to me that's not a good idea. I certainly don't want the limitations of a BlackBerry app for the iPhone.

The OmniGroup, for those that don't know them, are pretty much the premiere developers in terms of knowledge and experience for objective C. They have been developing since the NeXT. And they are also the ones who consulted on various projects which resulted in such optimizations of getting games to run on a Mac with a 500 MHz G4 to run much faster than they do on a PC at three times the speed. In sort, they get it.

They created OmniFocus which at present is a Mac app for the desktop which is much much better in my opinion that ToDoMatrix. And it's not a web app. It's real software. And as the poster suggested, they announced a syncing version for the iPhone.

If ToDoMatrix released for the iPhone now, I would say too little too late. Their two great products, Idea Matrix and ToDoMatrix, are out classed by OmniOutliner, and OmniFocus.

But there is still a good reason for RexWireless to port to iPhone. Omni's products are mac products. And lot's of iPhone users are going to be PC users. And if Omni doesn't port to the PC, it will leave a rather nice open door for RexWireless. I'm already adapted to OmiFocus now, and would not switch back to ToDoMatrix. But a PC user could easily love ToDoMatrix. Even though I have moved on, it's still fantastic software, and in my opinion the best BlackBerry app the BlackBerry has to offer.

Alex Alexzander
Closed Thread